Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2018, 08:45 PM   #1
OregonDuck

2019 Cougar 29RDB Fireplace

Hello Forum! New here - advance thanks for any support.

Purchased a 2019 Cougar 29RDB earlier this year. They have the option for an electric fireplace, which I did not get but would love to add. Does anyone own one or know the brand/size they use in this model? Unsure if it is a Dimplex, Greystone, etc...

Thanks again!
OregonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 01:08 AM   #2
DocP

The fireplace in my 2018 Cougar 32RLI is a Intertek EF-30B. I'll just give you my personal opinion on this. After having 3 campers and motorhomes with fireplaces, I would rather have the cabinet space and go with a portable heater. The fireplaces do put out some heat, but they are more decorative than efficient. Just my 2 cents.
DocP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:03 AM   #3
Howie

our Cougar 303rls came with the fireplace and it is the first one we have had in our RVs. We really like it as it is the perfect solution to the morning chill for the first one up in the morning. Using it only really heats the living area leaving the bedroom cooler for the sleepy head. We have more than enough storage space so that isn't an issue for us and we think the look is more pleasant than a space heater. The storage space you need would be my main consideration if I were you.
Howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 12:28 PM   #4
OregonDuck

Thank you both! Really appreciate the advice.

The 29RDB has a ton of storage thankfully, and we are not looking at it as a primary heating source. More for the ambience on cool, fall or winter camping trips. I'll try to look up the Intertek model you mention DocP. Howie, is this the same model in your 303rls too?
Old 10-09-2018, 12:40 PM   #5
DocP

My Intertek EF-30B is listed as a 26" insert. I would have to think that any brand that size would fit. You just need to have an electric outlet in the area where you are going to install it.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:42 PM   #6
DocP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie View Post
our Cougar 303rls came with the fireplace and it is the first one we have had in our RVs. We really like it as it is the perfect solution to the morning chill for the first one up in the morning. Using it only really heats the living area leaving the bedroom cooler for the sleepy head. We have more than enough storage space so that isn't an issue for us and we think the look is more pleasant than a space heater. The storage space you need would be my main consideration if I were you.
I do agree about the "ambience" when it is on, plus it never fails to get a chuckle from "non-campers" the first time that they see a fireplace in a camper!
Old 10-09-2018, 01:01 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocP View Post
My Intertek EF-30B is listed as a 26" insert. I would ha e to think that any brand that size would fit. You just need to have an electric outlet in the area where you are going to install it.
I could be mistaken about this, but seems I remember a couple of threads several years ago regarding RV fireplaces and trying to use a "home style" in an RV. If I'm remembering it correctly, the standard "home style" is about 9" thick while the RV units are 6-7" thick. So there may be a clearance problem using "any 26" electric fireplace". As I said, I think I remember reading about problems, but heck, I've slept more than a couple nights since then, so .....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 02:11 PM   #8
Howie

OregonDuck, I can't tell you what our model number is as the 5er is parked for the next two weeks and I can't get inside it until I move it and can open the slides. If you let me know later, I will be able to check out the paperwork about 10-24 or so when we pull it out of storage to head south.

I think I would give Curtis Trailers a call and ask them if they could give you some help with what you should buy. You don't necessarily need to have purchased from them but they were very helpful when I called them with a couple of questions about our 303rls even though I didn't buy it from them. They looked up the vin and gave me a lot of info from their system.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:14 PM   #9
Howie

I think JRTJH's comments are true to make sure about home versus rv is valid. When I took mine out of the cabinet this year to replace a number of the bulbs that had burned out, I found about 6 candle bulbs to provide light and a pretty small heat rod for the heat which I suspect would not be what a residential unit would have but I am not sure.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:28 PM   #10
Kansas Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonDuck View Post
Hello Forum! New here - advance thanks for any support.

Purchased a 2019 Cougar 29RDB earlier this year. They have the option for an electric fireplace, which I did not get but would love to add. Does anyone own one or know the brand/size they use in this model? Unsure if it is a Dimplex, Greystone, etc...

Thanks again!
If you go to this site it will show you what make and model your camper uses for any thing...........http://www.trekwood.com/
Just type in the information and take a look around........
Kansas Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 06:58 PM   #11
OregonDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie View Post
OregonDuck, I can't tell you what our model number is as the 5er is parked for the next two weeks and I can't get inside it until I move it and can open the slides. If you let me know later, I will be able to check out the paperwork about 10-24 or so when we pull it out of storage to head south.

I think I would give Curtis Trailers a call and ask them if they could give you some help with what you should buy. You don't necessarily need to have purchased from them but they were very helpful when I called them with a couple of questions about our 303rls even though I didn't buy it from them. They looked up the vin and gave me a lot of info from their system.
Appreciate it Howie! And great point. I just happen to have an appointment at Curtis Trailers this Friday; my Furrion entertainment player ate the kids DVD and won't eject so getting the warranty replacement done. Will be sure to hit them up about the fireplace!
Old 10-10-2018, 07:00 PM   #12
OregonDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Gary View Post
If you go to this site it will show you what make and model your camper uses for any thing...........http://www.trekwood.com/
Just type in the information and take a look around........
Thanks Gary - I'll check it out!
Old 10-14-2018, 09:29 AM   #13
Dave Gamble

My 2019 26RBS has a Titan Flame 26” flat LED Insert Electric Fireplace, Model# EF-30BF
Dave Gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 03:19 AM   #14
goodellj

Our 2012 Montana 3150RL came with a Dimplex fireplace that failed after 4 years. I looked it over and took some measurements, and found that the exact model was no longer made but there was a similar, better model sold by many vendors including Amazon and Lowe's. I chose Lowe's for the price and picked it up at the store to avoid shipping charges. It is Lowe's Item # 700234 Model # DFR2651L. I was surprised at how much these cost and I could have gotten a cheaper item but chose to go with the Dimplex for quality and because the dimensions made it a direct replacement. The fireplace just slips into the space provided, but it should be secured with a screw on each side (look at other campers to see how this done). We camp a lot in RV campgrounds and like the quiet heat and saving propane. It is 7 inches deep and the space provided in your camper might be deep enough for a cabinet or it might not be good for anything other than a fireplace heater.
6.7L V-8 diesel, 6-sp automatic, 3.55 axle ratio
goodellj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:14 AM   #15
shirleys545

Fireplace

We have a 2014 Cougar 280RLS and we love the fireplace. As some others have stated it is an Inerteck model. Have used it several times to warm up the living area and it works wonderfully.
shirleys545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:11 PM   #16
OregonDuck

Appreciate all the continued replies! So quick update on our little project...

Had the appointment with the dealership for the warranty replacement of the Furrion and asked about the fireplace. Sounds like all new Cougars (2019) are fitted with "Titan Flame" brand fireplaces as Dave mentions above. And I'm assuming this is just a new brand name for the Intertek models mentioned in this thread, as the model numbers are exactly the same.

And for those interested... There are two 26" insert models, the EF-30B which has a rounded front, and the EF-30BF which has a flat front. Dealer quoted me $325 plus shipping and a potential crate fee for an EF-30BF, which is the model Keystone uses in my 29RDBWE. I found a Titan Flame EF-30B on a RV parts site (Elkheart RV Parts) for $240 and what I believe is an Intertek EF-30B on the Trekwood.com site as suggested by Gary for $371.75.

I've also looked into some other 26" options. Dimplex has positive reviews, but as you mentioned goodellj, they're on the pricier side. Greystone is another popular one; etrailer has it for $266.14, Trekwood.com for $284.62 and Amazon for $209.

All seem to be 1500W, right around 5100 BTU/HR. The Titan/Intertek models have black interiors, whereas the Greystone has faux brick sides.

So there ya have it - now I just need to pick one!
Old 10-20-2018, 09:48 AM   #17
Buck1032

We have a 2017 28RDB and I have been looking at your 29RDB online. We both like a lot of the features your 5er has over what we have. We love the full wall and pocket door for the bunkhouse. We do not have the fireplace. We thought about putting one in when we first got it. But after using the camper over several long trips we decided we like the storage more than having the fireplace. If and when you do decide to put one in, keep us informed in case we change our mind.
Buck1032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 07:55 AM   #18
OregonDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck1032 View Post
We have a 2017 28RDB and I have been looking at your 29RDB online. We both like a lot of the features your 5er has over what we have. We love the full wall and pocket door for the bunkhouse. We do not have the fireplace. We thought about putting one in when we first got it. But after using the camper over several long trips we decided we like the storage more than having the fireplace. If and when you do decide to put one in, keep us informed in case we change our mind.
Agree with you, we really love the floorplan! From the full wall and door on the bunkhouse (which really helps when we want the kids down, but we are not..), to having a bedside table for each of us in the master; after looking (while saving up) for two years at the best model by our preference, we feel we found a winner in the '19 RDB. Will be sure to let you know how we move forward re: fireplace!
Old 02-20-2019, 05:04 PM   #19
OregonDuck

Quick update closing this out Purchased the fireplace from our dealer direct from the keystone manufacturing site over the holidays. Cost was $234 shipped. Finally grabbed the trailer and installed it.

Just added a block underneath, plugged and screwed in. Install took 10 min, if that. Just need to polish up the screw holes left behind from the doors. Excited to get out in a couple weeks and give it a go! Here's a quick before and after.

Cheers!

Old 02-21-2019, 10:40 AM   #20
KimNTerry

Looks good. Hope you use yours.

In 4 seasons we have used ours twice. Granted we typically boondock and/or dry camp so there is that...

2016 Cougar 1/2 Ton Series 283 RETWE
2018 F150 EcoBoost FX4 Lariat Max-Tow and Heavy Duty Payload Package
KimNTerry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar