Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2018, 11:41 AM   #1
Laredo Tugger

Separate Trailer For Cash?

Getting ready for a trip to the northeast from south US. Going into Maine back out through NY and back south again.
The RV parks I talk to all mention the need for cash to feed the toll booths on the way and one even mentioned to stay off of state parkways. Evidently RVs are illegal on those ($150 fine).
So question is, how frequent are toll roads and what kind of expense is it to travel in this area?
Will I need a separate trailer for the cash?
Just kidding, any tips appreciated.
Thanks
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 12:33 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

In ‘09 when we did our X country trip, it seems like NY was the worst. $300.00 comes to mind, every road seemed to be a toll road, and $36.00 to cross the George Washington bridge. Pennsylvania had a few “self serve” toll gates that you rolled change into a big metal bowl and when it decided you gave it enough the gate would lift. I was using a Garmin Nuvi and don’t recall any no RV warnings, but it may not have been a feature.

Good luck and enjoy the scenery, there is some country up there.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 02:12 PM   #3
Laredo Tugger

Thanks Chuck
The park manager did mention that the GW bridge would be $50. Adjusted for inflation I guess.
They build these roadways with federal funds then turn around and charge you to use them. Might as well name them Moscow motorways.
RMc
Old 08-27-2018, 02:30 PM   #4
Javi

That's beautiful country up that away.. I saw it in a '57 Chevy some years ago... slept on park benches and the back seat of the car.. back when you could do that sort of thing without going to jail.. Nowadays.. we stay in Texas mostly...

Good luck and enjoy... be safe
Old 08-27-2018, 02:52 PM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

Laredo Tugger, If you are planing to come over the GW bridge and you will be on I95 NJ Turnpike for full length (toll road over $30+) Than bridge toll to Delaware ... Delaware greets you with a turnpike toll also. Maryland only greets you with rolling hills to burn fuel and a trailer ban on tunnel.(take bypass toward Towsend for shortest and best road for towing.) After that it is free sailing all the way south if that is the route you choose.
For convenience you may want to consider sending for an EZ-Pass transponder and have all these tolls paid with a credit card and also allows you to use express lanes and not stop for toll booths. The fee is $1 a month and you can cancel and return it at any time.( this is the fee for NJ EZ-Pass that I have ... I do not know about other states that offer it, but they all honor each other's plan.)
You will be doing your part to keep the economy going. Travel safely and your GCVW will be much lighter after the tolls, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 03:19 PM   #6
rhagfo

BE AWARE of “PARKWAYS” in the Northeast!!!!
The $150 fine will be nothing compared to totaling your 5er on the low (Less than 10’) overpasses!!!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 03:21 PM   #7
Ductape

You will want to avoid 95 like the plague.

No problem though....

Come up 81 to about Scranton, Pa …..
Then take 84E through Ct to the Mass Pike East
It's a toll highway, but you are only going one exit
Take 290E to 495N through Ma.
Take 93N into NH, then @ exit 7
Take 101E to Exit 11, Rt. 33E to 95N

95N into Maine..... it's free until (I think) Exit 3

Get off there and take Rt 1 N or stay on the Maine Tpk and pay the tolls
Ductape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 03:24 PM   #8
captcolour

Can't tow on the Taconic Parkway in NY. There will be signs to warn you.

If you want a transponder, look at the I-Pass from the Illinois toll system. No monthly free. They charge you a $10 deposit which you would get back if you turned in it. I-Pass works on the EZ-Pass system.
captcolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 05:11 PM   #9
Tbos

Never traveled that way with the RV. The tolls get pretty high for cars on some of the toll roads. The Nice bridge from MD to VA charges $6.00 for 2 axles and $18.00 for 4. With that exception we avoid tolls as much as possible.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 05:54 PM   #10
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
Getting ready for a trip to the northeast from south US. Going into Maine back out through NY and back south again.
The RV parks I talk to all mention the need for cash to feed the toll booths on the way and one even mentioned to stay off of state parkways. Evidently RVs are illegal on those ($150 fine).
So question is, how frequent are toll roads and what kind of expense is it to travel in this area?
Will I need a separate trailer for the cash?
Just kidding, any tips appreciated.
Thanks
RMc
I concur that NY is the priciest.

I suggest you invest in an E-Z pass and load it up. It can all be done by mail. I got ours from NH as it was the least expensive up-front costs, and it gets you discounts on the toll roads in NH. ME's cost more and the discounts don't kick in until you travel the turnpike umpteen times in a month, which we don't do. Other states may offer discounts for travel on their tollways, too, if you get it from them. If you go into Canada the E-Z pass will also get you a discount.

There are a lot of electronic toll stations now with no humans to pay; they look up your license plate and tack on a (usually ridiculously large) processing fee on top of the toll.

Each state has their own web site for the E-Z pass and you can map out what your tolls will be on the roads you anticipate you will travel.

I'm not sure how the technology works, but you should register the trailer also (indicate number of axles and license tag number); the electronic toll booths seem to know when you are pulling something and make appropriate additions in the fee.

Happy and safe travels.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 06:03 PM   #11
fjr vfr

Where are you coming from? The south us is a very broad area. Are you talking Georgia or maybe Texas?

We are in VA and like Ducktape said, take I81 and I84 and avoid NY city. I don't remember any restrictions, but I didn't take the parkways. Each one has different if any restrictions. I'm sure you could check each on their web sites. The tolls are multiplied by the number of axles.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 03:11 AM   #12
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitPond View Post
I concur that NY is the priciest.

I suggest you invest in an E-Z pass and load it up. It can all be done by mail. I got ours from NH as it was the least expensive up-front costs, and it gets you discounts on the toll roads in NH. ME's cost more and the discounts don't kick in until you travel the turnpike umpteen times in a month, which we don't do. Other states may offer discounts for travel on their tollways, too, if you get it from them. If you go into Canada the E-Z pass will also get you a discount.

There are a lot of electronic toll stations now with no humans to pay; they look up your license plate and tack on a (usually ridiculously large) processing fee on top of the toll.

Each state has their own web site for the E-Z pass and you can map out what your tolls will be on the roads you anticipate you will travel.

I'm not sure how the technology works, but you should register the trailer also (indicate number of axles and license tag number); the electronic toll booths seem to know when you are pulling something and make appropriate additions in the fee.

Happy and safe travels.

How did you set up EzPass to work with your RV. From what I’ve seen I don’t think MD let’s us use them for tow behinds.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 03:26 AM   #13
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
How did you set up EzPass to work with your RV. From what I’ve seen I don’t think MD let’s us use them for tow behinds.
https://www.ezpassmd.com/en/faq/vehicles.shtml

Yes. However, you will be charged the full fare rate for the actual number of axles.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:08 AM   #14
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
We've not taken a toll road in MD and have not checked regarding this, so I don't know an answer to that. We have also not taken the trailer into Canada, but we have taken the truck over the border with the E-Z Pass; there is a toll entering Canada from NY.

When we "registered" our unit on-line after it was delivered there is a page where you enter the vehicle type/color/year and tag number (not all information shows on their edit, shown below). There was no explicit entry for a travel trailer but there was an "other" category which I used. Also note there is only a 35 cent difference in just the TV versus the TV with the TT through the NH toll gate.

FL is out of sync with the above system and has their own (the Sun Pass). The Miami, Tampa and Orlando area, as well as the FL Turnpike are the only areas we have hit on extensive toll roads to get you from point A to point B. If needed you can buy one at the visitors' center as you enter the state.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NHEZP vehicles.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	18285   Click image for larger version

Name:	NHEZP tolls.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	18286  

2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
Old 08-28-2018, 07:24 AM   #15
spade117

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitPond View Post
I suggest you invest in an E-Z pass and load it up. It can all be done by mail.
You should be able to load it online as well.
Old 08-28-2018, 10:44 AM   #16
major bumm

Quote:

LOL! My sincere condolences, sir. just kidding

I am guessing you are considering driving the interstates most of the way there. Through Washington DC, Baltimore, The NJ turnpike, I-95 and on-wards. This definitely is the "fastest" looking route. But, the beltway around DC was for me always a nightmare with traffic and driver behavior. Maryland is no joke either. Then there is I-95 through NYC. Why there is more fun to be had right there than a barrel of monkeys.

I have not taken the whole route, but many people I spoke to over the years would take Route 15 from western NY on their way to Florida. It passes west of DC and Baltimore. This way is on surface streets (also not toll roads), BUT read up on bridge heights and such if towing and RV or motorhoming it. Also, being that you are from the South, I will mention that Rt 15 passes through Gettysburg. Some of those in the South might find that a "fly in the ointment.

Anyway, in PA you have a choice of going northeast to Scranton PA up Rt 81 (no tolls) to Binghamton, NY. From here, going NE up Rt 88 to Albany/Schenectady NY and East to Troy and then into Vermont.

Alternatively, continue on Rt 15 in PA up to Rt 99 in NY continue on to Horseheads and up Rt14 to Geneva NY. This passes through the Finger Lake region and wine country. When I was there, the wines from Lameroux Landing and Standing Stone were very good. This was over tens years ago though. Also, this route passes through Watkins Glen. North of Geneva, Rt 14 intersects with I-90, a toll road, and drives E to Albany. There is the “north way” near Albany; part of the NY Thruway “northeast extension” (I think that is what it is called). Rt 87 towards Rutland VT.

If not fast, these alternative routes are more scenic and less toll roads.

(I am NOT saying you do or intend to do so, just FYI)
There is another less known detail that you should consider. NY, NJ, MD, MA, CT, RI. These states are not very forgiving when it comes to handguns. A carry permit is probably recognized by Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont. NJ, MD and NY have a reputation of being overly zealous about even transporting handguns through their states. This is contrary to Federal Transportation laws, but it is something to be aware of. If you decide to travel with a handgun, please read up on your rights and restriction when traveling.

Have fun!
major bumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 11:53 AM   #17
bob91yj

No idea if they still do it, but back in the '80's I took the PA Turnpike from Philly to Harrisburg, when exiting the Turnpike to pay the toll, they tacked $25 onto the toll because I "made it too fast"...essentially I was speeding the whole way (late at night, no one was on the road). The toll tickets are time stamped, so I had no defense (and I was guilty as hell). Thankfully it wasn't a moving violation. No idea if they still do that or not, if they do, I'm sure the fine has gone up.
bob91yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 04:00 AM   #18
Laredo Tugger

Hey all,
Sorry for not checking in and thanking you all for the helpful tips. A friend of mine lost his business in a fire on Sunday and I have been busy helping with after hours security of his property.
OK, it sounds like the best plan is the EZ Pass and depending on where you "purchase" this service the initial cost varies but the toll charges do not change, meaning a MD pass will pay the same toll rate as any other state pass in another state. Is this correct?
And when I sign up for the pass I must include the 5er? If I do any sight seeing around where I am camped, I guess the best thing to do would be to leave the EZ PAss in the trailer (at campsite) and just pay cash for my TV tolls so I do not pay for extra axles that are left at camp.
As far as routes, I am coming from the gulf coast and while I have not extensively studied the routes yet, a quick look at the maps shows a route that use I 81 (above Knoxville) into I 84 (via a few other interchanges) skirts around major metro areas and does not intersect I 95 until the top of Massachusetts. That all sounds good to me. Tolls along that route? Not sure, but will just have to pony up.
Again, thanks for the tips. Some real good folks on here,I mean that.
RMc
Old 08-29-2018, 06:58 AM   #19
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Hey all,
Sorry for not checking in and thanking you all for the helpful tips. A friend of mine lost his business in a fire on Sunday and I have been busy helping with after hours security of his property.
OK, it sounds like the best plan is the EZ Pass and depending on where you "purchase" this service the initial cost varies but the toll charges do not change, meaning a MD pass will pay the same toll rate as any other state pass in another state. Is this correct?
And when I sign up for the pass I must include the 5er? If I do any sight seeing around where I am camped, I guess the best thing to do would be to leave the EZ PAss in the trailer (at campsite) and just pay cash for my TV tolls so I do not pay for extra axles that are left at camp.
As far as routes, I am coming from the gulf coast and while I have not extensively studied the routes yet, a quick look at the maps shows a route that use I 81 (above Knoxville) into I 84 (via a few other interchanges) skirts around major metro areas and does not intersect I 95 until the top of Massachusetts. That all sounds good to me. Tolls along that route? Not sure, but will just have to pony up.
Again, thanks for the tips. Some real good folks on here,I mean that.
RMc
I don't know about other states, but NJ's plan you register only the TV with no mention of trailer. When going through tolls (including express lane at the speed limit) the machines automatically add the extra axles. We have been using it towing and solo for twenty years and have never had a mistake. It is amazing and a big time and fuel saver. If you have to give them your hard earned cash, they at least can make it less painful.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 07:30 AM   #20
SummitPond

Quote:
... depending on where you "purchase" this service the initial cost varies but the toll charges do not change, meaning a MD pass will pay the same toll rate as any other state pass in another state. Is this correct? ...
The NH EZ Pass provides discounts for driving their roads. We also got a discount going from NY into Canada but not on the NY tollways. No other discounts in other states that I can think of, but you'll typically pay a little less than a cash customer and a lot less than a someone that has to be billed if there is no human-staffed toll both and they rely on license plates.

It is a good idea to put in your tag number for the trailer as if, for some reason, the auto-sensing equipment doesn't work they look up the tag. If your trailer tag isn't in the records you'll get billed the "look up fee" which can be ridiculously high. If your tag is in the record then you'll get the EZ Pass charge.

Quote:
... And when I sign up for the pass I must include the 5er? If I do any sight seeing around where I am camped, I guess the best thing to do would be to leave the EZ PAss in the trailer (at campsite) and just pay cash for my TV tolls so I do not pay for extra axles that are left at camp. ...
We leave the EZ Pass in the truck. The equipment senses that the trailer is not on the truck. If, for some reason, you don't wish to use the EZ Pass, they provide you with a bag to put it in that shields the equipment from sensing the Pass; no need to pay twice!

Quote:
... As far as routes, I am coming from the gulf coast and while I have not extensively studied the routes yet, a quick look at the maps shows a route that use I 81 (above Knoxville) into I 84 (via a few other interchanges) skirts around major metro areas and does not intersect I 95 until the top of Massachusetts. That all sounds good to me. Tolls along that route? Not sure, but will just have to pony up. ...
That is basically how we travel from NE FL to ME: I-95 to I-26 to I-77 to I-81 to I-84 to I-90 to I-95. We sometimes take I-78 off of I-81, then do scenic PA 33/209 until we reconnect with I-84 in Milford, PA. We often stay at River Beach Campground in Milford, but there are plenty of others in the area. Get your gas just over the border in NJ; it can be up to $0.40 less per gallon.