Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2014, 07:29 PM   #1
homer3

Wing

Does anyone have a wing on their TV to cut down on wind resistance to 5th wheel? Curious how good they are or are they even worth the effort

John
Now Retired (At Last) Long Time Coming
Soon to be retired after 41 years with DOD
2006 Duramax Silverado 2500HD
2013 327 RES Cougar
homer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:53 PM   #2
Chiefcpo7

wings

Was on several other forums and the answer was that the fivers are too close to the ground and the wings would be destroyed as they would hit the goad and trash . The other and main reason was due to cost as the 18 wheelers put on more miles to lower the cost per mile.
Chiefcpo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:18 PM   #3
fred1609

I read an extensive thread on this some time ago and the conclusion was that it made no difference.
fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:21 AM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

They generally just move the "bug-line" up a little.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:36 AM   #5
WaltBennett

I've this one: http://www.icondirect.com/aeroshield-wind-deflector/ Picked it up for a previous truck, but use it on the F350. Doesn't weigh much, goes on & off easily & folds down when not towing. I've found that if I put it on as close to the Monty as possible it adds about 2/3 mpg - not much, but can add up on long trips. If I hadn't already had it, I don't know as it would be all that cost effective.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:46 PM   #6
Trent McCain

Here's a post I put on irv2 as there was a discussion sometime back about it. The general consensus is they didn't work. I had the Icon model. In all fairness, if it was the 70's-80's when everything had the aerodynamics of a barn door, they might help. With the new front cap designs (even more aerodynamic than what I pull) I think you'd be hard pressed to see any real improvement. If I were to do it again, I'd have one that mounts behind the cab as opposed to on the cab. The problem is they are not large enough to be effective. I own/operate a small fleet of trucks for a living, and the best way to make fuel mileage is slow down...that's free. I tried it on my last trip and made 9, still not impressive, but better than 8.

Trent

Don't waste your money. I was pulling a cherry old '91 Excel with our 2008 F150 SuperCrew. I thought i'd try the deflector to see if it would help any. Never got a chance to, as I traded for the 2009 F350 in our signature. Pulled the Excel with it once, then purchased the 2008 Copper Canyon. Most of our hauls are short 60-100miles one way. With the ocassional longer trip. I'd try the deflector on some trips and left it off on others. Didn't detect any difference in mpg....it's terrible anyways....around 8-8.5 with the trailer and boat in tow. I did have to place spacers under the deflector as it would rub on the corregations in the roof otherwise. I was always concerned about rubbing the paint off where the straps hook into the gutter, so I'd put a piece of white duct tape down before tightening the straps. Also the straps will rattle in the wind, so I'd secure them with a small zip tie. The only advantage I can see, is it lightened my wallet and did help keep the bugs off the trailer....other than that nothing but wind noise. I did finally get it sold for $50 just to get it out of the shop.
Trent McCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:08 AM   #7
kampfitt

Wing

I have the wing that mounts like a headacke rack, closer to 5th wheel spring loaded lays, back as you drive. About 1 MPG increse. bought mine off Craigs list for $200 Still adj it some to get the most out of it.
kampfitt is offline   Reply With Quote