Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2014, 04:55 AM   #1
neesey62

Weigh station question

Seen several different posts and I'll admit I'm confused. DH and I have a Cougar 327 and a one ton dually. Are we suppose to go through each weigh station as we travel or scale weigh it or just what?

Thanks.
neesey62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:02 AM   #2
Javi

In most states a non-commercial vehicle does not have to weigh at the roadside scale. However, the weight man can and sometimes will pull an RV'er over if the rig looks to be overloaded.

On another note, it is always a good idea to hit a CAT scale at a local truck stop and find out for sure what your weights are... for peace of mind if nothing else.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:19 AM   #3
neesey62

Any idea the charge for this?
Old 01-29-2014, 05:28 AM   #4
Javi

Most CAT scales are $10 for a weigh and one re-weigh and they give you a copy of the weight ticket so you have a record.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:41 AM   #5
neesey62

What would be considered overloaded?
Old 01-29-2014, 05:48 AM   #6
crash

Most states non commerical truck dont have to go thru the scale house, only if you have for hire on your tow vehicle do you have to go thru
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:51 AM   #7
neesey62

OK, thanks everyone!
Old 01-29-2014, 09:46 AM   #8
Ken / Claudia

Your question about what is over weight. I guess that you know what and how to find your vehicles GVWR, CGVWR, Payload, max. wt. for each axle, trailer GVWR. To get into trouble with the law, any of those that are over is/can be a violation. The other posters on here where spot on, correct with information. In Oregon RVs are not what troopers are targeting but, can check the weight of any vehicle, some have portable scales in the patrol cars. A rule of thumb is when a non comm vehicle is at a thousand lbs over you might get a cite for overweight and how much over and how the vehicle is traveling maybe operating unsafe vehicle/combo.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:55 AM   #9
neesey62

Basically this is our first 5ver and dually and we didn't know the laws as to whether we had to pull into the scale areas or if we could keep on going.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:06 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

neesey62,

The next time you pass a weigh station, read the signs that precede it. In almost every state they will say something like, "Weigh station ahead. All "COMMERCIAL" vehicles must exit for inspection."

If you are a private vehicle (without commercial plates) you are not required to stop at virtually any state operated weigh station. (I don't know of any state that requires it). Those inspection points are for the state departments of transportation to regulate commercial truck traffic, not private recreational vehicle traffic.

Don't misinterpret, if you go "wobbling by with your hood pointed up in the air, fishtailing along at 75MPH in a 55MPH speed zone, if one of the state's finest is sitting in his car and sees you, he will most likely meet you at the end of the acceleration ramp with lights flashing. Otherwise, if you're not doing anything out of the ordinary and appear relatively "in compliance" you'll probably never get a second glance.

Now, entering some states and crossing the Canadian border, you will be required to stop for agricultural inspection and to prove citizenship, but that's not a "weigh station".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:38 AM   #11
ocbms

I found help with this site

This doesn't answer the weigh station question but it may if you do get stopped. I live in Illinois pulling a Fifth Wheel with a dually. Combined gross exceeds 28,000 pounds and the towed RV is definitely above 10,000 pounds thus to be legal I have a Non-CDL Class A.
Every state is difference.

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-state-rv-license.shtml
ocbms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:09 PM   #12
BobnLee

As I have stated in several posts My son used to be a supervisor for the MTO in Ontario. H stated he did not want to see any mom and pop Rvs in his scale house. The are looking for the commercial vehicles and the guys hauling fifth wheels commercially We dont need to carry log books etc. Just have your unit weighed front axle rear axle and trailer axles. figure all your weights and make sure your not exceeding you GVweights or axle weights I have passed lots of scales up and down 75 amongst other interstates and have bypassed all of them without any problems.
BobnLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:39 PM   #13
denverpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Most CAT scales are $10 for a weigh and one re-weigh and they give you a copy of the weight ticket so you have a record.

Locally they were $10 first weigh and $2 for a re-weigh within 24 hours, last weekend.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:43 PM   #14
Pmedic4

Towing regulations

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocbms View Post
This doesn't answer the weigh station question but it may if you do get stopped. I live in Illinois pulling a Fifth Wheel with a dually. Combined gross exceeds 28,000 pounds and the towed RV is definitely above 10,000 pounds thus to be legal I have a Non-CDL Class A.
Every state is difference.
Again, not a weigh station issue, but you point out an area where many RV'ers are breaking the law, and that is improper license classification for their TV and RV. Each state is different, so make sure you comply with your state rules. I know of people driving a 50,000 pound Class A, towing a 5,000 pound vehicle and their driving around on a Class D (8000 pound) license. I'm from Illinois too, and for some reason people think that since RV's are exempt from CDL they don't need the the proper non-CDL license classification.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:34 AM   #15
chuckretnav

over weight

All states very somewhat. But when you first got your truck and went to the license place they may have asked you how much the truck weighed. Then noramly they add 2 or 3000 to that and sell you a plate for that much weight. Check your registration. Now hook your fiver up, and head to the truck stop with a cat scale which will give you axle weights. Make sure on the truck you have your steer axle on one pad and the drive axle on a pad, then both axle of the trailer on one pad. Hit the button and tell the person to weigh you. After you get your scale ticket, add your steer axle and drive axle together check your registration. You have to be less than what your registration shows. If you are not you need to go to the license place again and get a Higher weight plate for your truck. Most weight stations don't care about RV's as long as you don't have any signs on the truck showing you pull for hire. BUT BUT if they are so inclined they can pull you in and normaly they will do rental truck and bus traffic also but if you get weighed and your registration is not large enough for what you are hauling then you can get a ticket. But most generally you don't have to worry unless your acting stupid or there has been a big thing like 9/11. Happy trails
chuckretnav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:18 AM   #16
hankaye

neesey62, Howdy;

Quote:
Originally Posted by neesey62 View Post
Seen several different posts and I'll admit I'm confused. DH and I have a Cougar 327 and a one ton dually. Are we suppose to go through each weigh station as we travel or scale weigh it or just what?

Thanks.
I don't bother with them, as has been stated, they are looking for the Commercial Vehicles, however, if they really want you to weigh, they'll come
and get you, and bring you back to weigh... so, if they leave you alone ...
you're OK.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:52 AM   #17
34kw

It is a federal law that says anyone driving a vehicle that weighs over 26K must have a CDL. Rarely enforced, but they could. Having said that, weigh scales do not want RV's plugging things up and as noted above you are not commercial. The thing to remember is that just because we are not usually bothered by any of this, the laws are there and could be enforced at some point.
34kw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:36 AM   #18
WaltBennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34kw View Post
It is a federal law that says anyone driving a vehicle that weighs over 26K must have a CDL. Rarely enforced, but they could. Having said that, weigh scales do not want RV's plugging things up and as noted above you are not commercial. The thing to remember is that just because we are not usually bothered by any of this, the laws are there and could be enforced at some point.
That law is for interstate commerce and does not apply to individuals driving their own vehicle with or without trailer NOT for profit. Individual states also follow this although I've heard mention of a few that may want to change it for larger rigs. An example of strange state stuff was when I was stationed in AK and they wanted me to get commercial plates and license because I had a van that didn't have side windows. Didn't matter that I'd converted the inside into an RV (of sorts). Ended up having to give a signed & notarized statement that I'd NEVER use it for any kind of commercial activity.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:26 AM   #19
rclark

WA State Requirements

Was curious about WA state requirements. If you go to WA state website it states the following:

Types of vehicles that require a CDL

You must have a commercial driver license (CDL) to drive any of the following vehicles:

All single vehicles with a manufacturer’s weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more.
All trailers with a manufacturer’s weight rating of 10,001 pounds or more, and a combined vehicles’ gross weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more.

This would lead one to believe that CDL is required. However digging a little deeper I found this:

Recreational vehicle operators are exempted when driving RVs for non-commercial purposes. This includes two-axle rental trucks (WAC 308-100-210), and horse trailers
(RCW 46.25.050).

2007 Chevy 3500 Dually Duramax Allison
2013 Keystone Alpine 3555rl, Onan 5500, Directv Dish
2004 Everest 364Q
2005 Larado Bunk House TT
2004 Komfort TT
1973 Kenskill TT
rclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:12 PM   #20
greengiant

There aren't always CAT scales close by. In my case, I have a gravel/sand pit 5 miles from home that I have patronized. They have no problem if I stop by and check my weight with the TT. They have a 10' long digital display with your weight that you see right from your truck. As long as there's no one else waiting for the scale you can even do a quick unhook to check pin/tongue weights like I did last year. Just be courteous and don't make a guy with 20 ton of sand wait for you to get off the scale.

This wouldn't be 'certified', but maybe more convenient to get an idea where you stand with your unit loaded. One other note: these scales aren't always zeroed out, so just check with the office to see if you need to adjust your readings.
greengiant is offline   Reply With Quote