Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2019, 11:55 AM   #1
daveinaz

Inverter hookup question on 08 Montana 3400RL

I've read the pros/cons of hooking up dedicated inverter for the residential fridge and decided that the DW will be happiest if I install one. I understand the basic process but I am wondering about the specifics of how to go about this.

Our 5er, an 08 3400RL, has the fridge in a slide-out. The fridge is plugged into an AC outlet that I can access from the outside panel. I'm assuming that the AC power to this outlet is coming from the converter that is above the washer/drier in the closet near the entry door.

I'm hoping that someone else with this floorplan can give me some advice on how to best go about accessing the wiring to/from the fridge/converter to get it into the front of the rig for this fridge inverter thing.

Thank you.
daveinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 01:24 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

When you say CONverter are you meaning an inverter?

Converters take AC voltage and make DC voltage to operate the 12VDC stuff and charge the battery.

Inverters take the DC voltage from the battery(s) and make AC voltage to operate the 120VAC stuff.

If your on full hookups the inverter isn’t needed for the fridge. If your dry camping or traveling on the road, then the inverter is needed.

What are you trying to accomplish? I’m only asking because you may not need to change anything, and I want to be sure you have an inverter.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 01:37 PM   #3
daveinaz

Chuckster57, I need to install a standalone inverter to run the fridge when I'm not connected to shore power (traveling). I know that I can install either a manual inverter (plug the fridge into the inverter instead of the AC wall socket, turn inverter on) or an automatic inverter (run the AC line going to the fridge to "pass through" the automatic inverter).

I'm trying to figure where best to access the AC wiring to get it to the fridge inverter and the AC wiring going to the fridge. I'm guessing access 120VAC at the rig's OEM converter/charger and run it up to the front to hook up to the added inverter for the fridge.

I know what to do, just not how. I'm guessing run wire from converter/charger intop of washer/dryer closet down to basement, under the rig, and then bring it up into the front compartment. And then same thing to get wire back to fridge.

Hope that's clear.
Old 02-19-2019, 03:57 PM   #4
roadglide

You will need solar panels, controller, inverter no 2 wire . Assuming you don't have the solar equipment. I went from the inverter stright the breaker box that has the refrigerator plug breaker. You will need to look inside the frig and find how many amps it draws.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 12:04 PM   #5
daveinaz

So, it looks like our fridge only uses 1.4 amps... So if I multiply that by 120 = 168. Am I correct in thinking that it only needs 168 watts to operate?? And if I multiple that by 2 (336) or even 3 (504) for start-up surge, then a 1000 watt inverter should be plenty, correct? Or am I missing something?

And for those of you who are good at math (not me), I have two size 27 12V batteries in parallel. Each battery has these specs: 20 amp hour rate:90, Minutes at 23 amps:200, Minutes at 25 amps:175.

I know the fridge wouldn't be pulling juice all the time, but assuming a constant discharge rate of 1.4 amps, how many hours would my batteries provide juice to it?

(Is this right? Each battery has a 20aH rating of 90. That means it'll give 4.5 amps for 20 hours? or 2.25 amps for 40 hours? and since the amperage is doubled from batteries in parallel, the two of them would give 2.25 amps for 80 hrs?)

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fridge amps.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	20411  
Old 02-20-2019, 12:33 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

If the photo you posted is the "only startup draw" then it seems that a 1000 watt inverter would be more than adequate.
BUT: Have you read page 6 in the owner's manual? This is printed there:
"This refrigerator is not designed to be used with an inverter."

If you don't have the owner's manual, you can download it here: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/89...0w.html#manual

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 12:35 PM   #7
daveinaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If the photo you posted is the "only startup draw" then it seems that a 1000 watt inverter would be more than adequate.
BUT: Have you read page 6 in the owner's manual? This is printed there:
"This refrigerator is not designed to be used with an inverter."

If you don't have the owner's manual, you can download it here: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/89...0w.html#manual
Yes, I read that too, but I'm thinking it's just CYA language on their part. I'd use a PSW inverter and think it should be okay. I've read of others using this same fridge in their boat or RV.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:40 PM   #8
roadglide

1000 What inverter would run your 120 watt frig I'm about shure the frig breaker will be inline with other other plugs you need to meter your camper plugs to see whats on the frig breaker. I would not use any less then 2000 watt inverter . Go power all about inverters has chart for appliances and watts used . I suspect after you connect to the frig breaker you be watching tv and charging cell phones.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, montana