Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2017, 09:38 AM   #1
paints510

Howdy! New from Kansas.

Hello to all. My family and I have been camping in a 97 Dutchman popup the last 3 years. We bought it thinking we would upgrade some day if we camped on more weekends than it sat. Well...we definitely did that and then some. We typically have the 4 in my family along with 2-3 others tagging along.

This leads up to my wife wanting Godzilla. Godzilla is a plus 30 ft, full bunkhouse trailer. I grew up driving Godzilla's. Not towing them. That's not the problem though. This summer I got the boat of my dreams. The wife expects to get the trailer of her dreams. The issue is I only have a 2014 F150. Which I know limits what I can haul. The bigger problem is all my area dealers keep telling us that my 1/2 ton can haul some of these trailers my wife is wanting to get. I know it can't. I figure my max is around 7500 lbs and even at that. I'll be a dog on the road.

So here's where I'm at. Either upgrade to an F250 and put off a new trailer for a while. Or figure out the max trailer I can get and try to get as much of my wife's Godzilla trailer that I can. Right now...the closest thing I can even consider is the Passport 2920 BH. At 5385 dry weight. I can probably survive the 30 minute drive to our local lake spot being right at my max. No way in heck would I take that thing on the Interstate.

My spiel probably sounds familiar to many of you. I jumped on this site to hunt and gather info on the Passport and to check out the thoughts of others.

Happy Camping to all!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camp Jayjawk.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	380.9 KB
ID:	13850  
paints510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 10:22 AM   #2
fraleywp

Hello and welcome,

I pulled a Passport 2650bh, around 500# or so lighter, from NE GA to St Pete Florida and back with no hassle last weekend. I have a 2017 F150 5.0. The max tow is 9100lbs with a weight distributed hitch. Max payload is 7000#. I have a towing and payload package but there is another step up called max tow.

It certainly wasn't fast on grades but it handled it just fine. I tried to stay around 60mph most of the trip. The 3.5 Ecoboost has a max trailer tow option that provides even better payload and towing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
fraleywp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 10:28 AM   #3
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Welcome to the forum from Kansas City, MO.

Given the parameters you gave, it is probably doable.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 11:58 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

You are on the right track. 7500 is about all you need to try to pull with a 1/2 ton for various reasons, including length (been there, done that). The listed "max tow weight" for trucks is just a sales ploy - generally no connection to real life. With a trailer any larger you are also going to be close to exceeding your payload....if not your gvw depending on what kind of truck you have.

I upgraded trucks. Sounds like that may not be an option so I think you're making a good choice on the trailer. I understand wanting a "Godzilla" trailer but you know that kind of trailer requires a "Godzilla" truck to go with it.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 02:57 PM   #5
Retired Copper

I too think it is doable, if you keep a watch on tv and tt payloads until you get the F250. The problem with the F150 want be so much the power or the torque but the payload. With the length of the trailer get the very best WHD with sway control. Check the tires and shocks on the truck; if you have SRA p rated you will not like them they where just to mussy and the rear shocks I replace where a joke. I have a 2670 and always try to stay under 6k loaded. 1000 lbs of stuff is like 20 bags of farmers 888 and that's a lot of fertilizer lol. Hey I'm just camping. Good luck and Happy Camping. We like our little passport.
Retired Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 05:05 PM   #6
RedRocket

Probably doable, but the ride will leave a lot to be desired. I have a 2670bh, which is 30' 6''. It's not the truck doesn't have enough power, it does, its the length that'll be a factor. I have a e4 wdh and it does a great job, but I don't like the spongy feeling it has when the wind blows.
The day we where leaving for vacation in Gulf Shores, we had about a 25 mph cross wind. Well at this point we can't wait change the day, or the weather so you just have to go with what you've got.
That was with a 15 1500 Silverado 5.3.
That being said we are the proud owners of a new Ram 2500.
Good luck with your decision, I understand the DW found the camper and I have to drive it. Btw most salesmen are just that salesmen, not campers, and of" course your truck can pull this."

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 03:05 AM   #7
5J's

Yep power and torque will be fine but just not enough truck to give you the control you'll need. They always say don't put the cart before the horse. I'd upgrade the truck first. Look for a good used truck so as not to break the bank. Best of luck.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

2017 Hideout 308BHDS

2006 F-350 6.0L PSD CC 4X4
5J's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 03:36 AM   #8
DAN d

WELCOME TO THE FORUM enjoy
DAN d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 04:35 AM   #9
fraleywp

I don't want to be argumentative but you don't need a 250 or 2500 to pull an ultra lite trailer in the 5k weight range. If you have to use your truck for multiple usages it makes no sense to sacrifice other use cases to have more than you need for one. Yes, a 250 might tow a little better but a properly equipped 150 will not struggle with that trailer. Especially if you have a 150 with all the towing options for sway and descent. Also, all trucks are not created equal. Upgrading tires and shocks will improve the mush and control for a lightweight tt.

In a perfect world we could have multiple vehicles for specific purposes. We don't live in a perfect world and sometimes compromise is the only option. If you must have Godzilla tt, the on you must have Godzilla tv. If you can compromise on an ultra lite you should be able to find one that your current truck can handle without struggling.

I considered a 250 but the lack of comfort and affordability kept me away. A well equipped 250 would have been North of 65k. Someday, if I ever decide I need more trailer, I may consider it. I dont buy used vehicles due to so many bad experiences in the past.

As I stated, I just towed a 2650bh over 500 miles, each way, with my 150 and it was without incident. I do have Nitto Exo Grapplers so that may be a contributing factor to the lack of mush in high wind conditions. These tires have increased sidewall strength as they are designed for off-road, all weather and highway use. They are 10-ply tires. These are 33" tires and I have a level kit on the front suspension. I chose to stick with 33" as I feel the added weight of 35" tires would too negatively impact towing. I have not upgraded the rear shocks yet, but I do plan to install some Bilstein 5100s.

To be clear, I am not saying my 150 tows as well as a 250 would. I am simply saying that I can tow my ultra lite without struggle and I am nowhere near maxing my payload. I don't have a family to carry along on the trip so 2-3 people, gear and the trailer is what I am dealing with.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
fraleywp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 08:32 AM   #10
paints510

Thanks for the welcome and I appreciate everyone's responses.

Negotiations with the wife are in full swing! Whatever we end up doing. I'll make sure to share.

Great site!
paints510 is offline   Reply With Quote