Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2017, 12:32 PM   #1
haymanwilly

Keystone wiring mistake-my refrigerator mess

We bought a 2017 Avalanche 370RD on May 23, 2017. RV was move 80 to private property campground where we have several other RV's parked on a semi permanent basis during the spring, summer and fall.
1st weekend - Had an outside fan plugged in to the outlet in the storage area. Fan unexpectedly quit. Suspected GFCI tripped and went in camper. Saw display on refrig flashing as it switched to gas. Reset GFCI(located in bathroom) and refrig went back to electric.
2nd weekend - Put bread in toaster in kitchen but it never popped up. No electric. Suspected GFCI tripped and noticed refrig switched to gas. It had tripped and when reset refrig. went back to Electric.
Called Camping World to schedule a some warranty work and look at this issue.(Hot water heater never worked on electric and rear a/c noisy and warm). Decided to baby it (ie: Don't use outlets on GFCI circuit since it pops the GFCI) so we could continue to camp during summer.
Went to take camper to CW on 8/16/17 and found that GFCI was tripped and refrig had use up all propane so it was hot. Refrig was only thing running at the time. All other campers there were fine so no power outages.
Refrig was full of food in freezer and fridge and it was rotten with maggots and juices down the front and on the floor.
I told them I wanted the refrig replaced because at best it is unsanitary and it is has the spoilage between the interior and exterior walls. Don't know if i will ever get the smell out even if they do replace it.
However, Keystone approved for CW to run a separate circuit for the refrig because it should not have been on that GFCI however, they don't want to replace refrig because I should not have left it unattended for 5 days. Total BS. This is my 6th RV and 3rd fifth wheel. I always leave food in refrig and most everyone does. There workmanship, or lack thereof, caused this and I should not have to accept the consequences ( an unsanitary refrigerator) as a result of it. Keystone needs to step up and be responsible for the problem.
Does anyone know how to get further that General Customer support with Keystone? They have not been any help up to this point.
CW is trying to get it replaced but cannot get an answer from Keystone Warranty. This really has me ticked. And I can't use my RV. Keystone Customer service told me to be patient but this shouldn' t take this long to resolve.
haymanwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 01:22 PM   #2
Tbos

I've heard of people getting results by contacting Trailer life magazine. They have a section that helps resolve issues when a manufacturer isn't responding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 01:32 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I suspect you will have a difficult time escalating within Keystone. I have managed to talk to a customer service manager, but with a regular rep on the line as well. I have talked to their engineering manager but only because I involved the NHTSA. They do not like to work with an individual owner and will generally refer you to a dealer....and therein lies the key.

Escalate your situation to the highest level at your dealership and have them intercede for you with Keystone. After going thru bs for a month or so on an issue with mine I escalated at the dealership to the service manager and GM and had them personally go to Keystone....poof, things got approved and fixed. They told me that regular requests coming into Keystone from service advisors were handled as normal requests, ie: slow with iffy results. When the SM/GM/owner got in the middle of it the level of communication within Keystone was also elevated. Maybe/hopefully that will help.......
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 01:41 PM   #4
Pull Toy

Your Fridge was wired thru the GFCI protected circuit is because that is industry standard. It is also dictated in ASE Wiring Code. The reasoning is that the refrigerator is plugged into a 110v outlet that can be accessed from the outside of the camper while standing on bare ground. In my opinion, they are trying to "Daisy Chain" too many outlets off of one protector. Your bath, kitchen counter, fridge, and all outside outlets are usually all on one GFCI in the bathroom. If in doubt about the protector, replace it. Some are more sensitive than others, and trip easily.

Even if wired to a separate circuit, your refrigerator circuit will need to be GFI protected, to be legal, and insurable.

p.s. Is that New London location the one in CT. If it is we're neighbors

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 07:09 AM   #5
haymanwilly

I think you are right about the daisy chain. They have authorized CW to install a dedicated circuit to the fridge. No reason to do that unless your questioning your own design! thanks for the reply
Old 09-07-2017, 07:10 AM   #6
haymanwilly

Oh I'm not going to go away silently. Appreciate your post of your experience.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:00 PM   #7
mazboy

in my opinion you aren't going to convience keystone to replace the refrig. you can clean the refrig with beach, it'll work.
i'd accept the additional line and 'winning'
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keystone, wiring