Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2017, 04:23 PM   #71
jsmith948

Think about how your electric brakes operate. When the magnets are energized, they attach themselves to the machined armature surface of the drum. As the wheel rotates, the actuator lever is pulled, expanding the brake shoes against the drum. If the magnets are energized with the trailer stationary, the magnets attach themselves to the drums, but there is no braking action.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 11:00 AM   #72
SkiSmuggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRV2 View Post
I had the coach running on generator last night just to charge batteries. Brought it up to 13.4 and then turned off batteries. Our coach is about a month old since we have taken ownership I see that we have Interstate batteries and the dealer had to wire up a second battery when we took delivery. Since these batteries have been completely dead for two days now after charging and discharging do I need new ones?
When you see 13.4, that is the rate of charge, not the state of the batteries. Read the battery voltage an hour after charging to see the real state. Chances are they are in the low 12 range and 12.0 is considered dead. Fully charged batteries are 12.6 volts.

Old 12-05-2017, 12:20 PM   #73
flybouy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
When you see 13.4, that is the rate of charge, not the state of the batteries. Read the battery voltage an hour after charging to see the real state. Chances are they are in the low 12 range and 12.0 is considered dead. Fully charged batteries are 12.6 volts.
I don't consider 12 volts "dead", maybe a typo? Anyway, great advice on waiting an hour before checking voltage. I don't know what battery or charger you have but for simple math think of a 110 amp hour battery charging at 10 amps. It's going to take a lot longer than an hour to charge.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:52 PM   #74
JRTJH
Site Team

There may be some confusion between "don't discharge beyond" and "consider your battery "dead" at".... As a general rule, most battery companies recommend not to discharge beyond 12 VDC on a regular basis in order to preserve the "lead acid battery lifespan"....

There's a lot of good information at this website: https://www.solar-electric.com/learn...%20electrolyte

Given the "recommendation" not to discharge deep cycle batteries beyond 50% (on a regular basis) and that voltage being 11.96 at 40% and 12.10 at 50%, the "generally accepted term" of 12 volts being "dead" makes sense. In other words, never discharge below 12 volts if possible.

Here's a voltage chart that is "good to have on hand" information.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery-state-of-charge.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	14779  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 01:03 PM   #75
PopBeavers

If you have not read it already read it download
The 12 Volt Side of Life

On several occasions when I have discharged my batteries more than I ought to have I have had good luck performing a desulfate charge followed by an equalize charge. This was with Interstate RV/Marine 12 volt batteries. My charger is a Black and Decker VEC1095, which is no longer made.

PopBeavers is offline   Reply With Quote