Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2019, 07:32 AM   #1
GiantMike

2017 Passport GT 2890RL - Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel?

Wanted to get a feel for the TT folks to see if they have been ok pulling Passport GT class TT's (28') with a Jeep Grand Cherokee (Diesel or 5L).

Tow weights IIRC, are: Trailer 5800lbs (dry), Upper capacity of the JGC is 7200lbs.

We've towed an 18' Scotty with the JGC with no issues (other than needing tow mirror extensions).

Also have a F350 4WD supercab + full bed to use to tow (5th wheel in recent past), which would be no concern, but the concerns are the in-campground navigation challenges with a full very long truck and now a 28'+ foot bumper pull trailer.

Advice / experience points please with folks using a SUV with this class of TT?

Thanks ..

Mike
GiantMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:05 AM   #2
German Shepherd Guy

With a wheel base of only 114.7 inches that extra 10 ft of TT over your current 18 ft is going to seem like one big sail in a side wind. I would be worried about the tail wagging the dog. I tow a 30ft with a 131.5 inch wheel base and let me tell you that there have been a couple of occasions where I have felt that effect. And I try hard to not tow with that vehicle if I believe any wind or freeway driving will be involved.
Not the power but the length and weight of the TV that I would wonder about.
Hope that helps.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:22 AM   #3
travelin texans

Your RV "dry" is 5800# which you nor anyone else has/will ever tow it at that weight. Typically loaded to head to the campground I'd bet you are very close to if not over the 7200# Jeep max tow, not to mention the short lightweight Jeep compared to the long heavy RV. USE THE F350!!!!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:56 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

It sounds like you have your PRIMARY tow vehicle, the F350 and are considering using your SECONDARY vehicle to tow on some occasions. The only addition to the Jeep (that I know of) would be adding a brake controller, and if you've been towing a smaller travel trailer, you probably are already "set up to tow" with the Jeep.

I'd suggest installing your current hitch into the receiver on the Jeep, hitch the trailer and tow it to a CAT scale and see how it "stacks up" (or "weighs down") with the Jeep. You'll know in $14 whether it's a "good idea to move forward" or "an overweight disaster about to get worse"....

If it's below the GVW, GCWR, FAWR and RAWR, then take it on a test tow. If you're satisfied with the performance, take the next step. If you're not satisfied with the towing performance, then drag it home, unhitch, put the hitch in the receiver on the F350 and don't look back.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 11:24 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

The specs on the trailer say the gvw is 7200 lbs. and the OAL is 33.25'. Years ago I pulled with an SUV (full size Bronco) and said then I would never pull with one again and haven't (my own) - my truck was just so much more stable. I have however pulled more recently with a Dodge Durango (JGC twin) with the 5.7L. Towed a Rockwood Mini (or Ultra??) Lite trailer, less than 25' as a favor for less than 100 miles. Had wdh and sway and it reaffirmed my decision to never use an SUV to tow a travel trailer - it's just dangerous IMO. I am spoiled by my current rig but I can't imagine ever trying to actually go anywhere with something like that; my previous 1/2 ton pulling my current trailer was like pulling with a semi compared to that experience.

I would use the 350. You won't gain much of anything trying to pull the same trailer with a GC vs the truck as far as length plus the truck gives you so much more versatility IMO. I suspect my truck/trailer is longer than your proposed setup and I have no issues at all.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 01:20 PM   #6
Logan X

As was already mentioned, the new trailer is too long and heavy to tow with a Jeep. You will have a much better experience towing with the longer wheelbase and greater capacity of the F350. Maneuvering an F350 and a 28 foot trailer in a campground is not difficult. Just my opinion.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 05:35 PM   #7
Gegrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantMike View Post
Also have a F350 4WD supercab + full bed to use to tow (5th wheel in recent past), which would be no concern, but the concerns are the in-campground navigation challenges with a full very long truck and now a 28'+ foot bumper pull trailer.
Mike
A 350 and that trailer are not really going to be a concern in any campground. My trailer is longer than yours and I only ran into an issue one time, and that was when there were a combined 6 cars parked at the 3 adjacent sites, and the sites were only about 12' apart. If you were pulling a 42' toy hauler, yes, you might have a problem, but not with a 28' TT. The difference in towing experience with the 350 over the Jeep is gonna be worth it anytime and all the time. I cannot imagine any scenario other than straight, flat ground where towing that trailer with the Jeep would not be a white knuckle affair. Use the 350 and don't look back, ESPECIALLY since it's already in your driveway.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 05:40 PM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Our camper is 36' long TT. Truck is a super cab with 8' bed. It can be a challenge in some older, tighter campgrounds but it just took a little practice. Adding a camera on the back of the TT was a big help.
. I towed a 29' Surveyor (super light with a "small slide" ) with a 1999 Dodge Durango RT with full time 4wd. Hitch was Reese dual cam. It did OK I thought, at least until I bought the F150 King Ranch in 2009. You can't have too much truck but you damned sure can have too little.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 03:35 AM   #9
GiantMike

Thumbs up

Great advice guys, I appreciate the experience of the community heading me off at the pass on this one.

The F350 is a '2000 model (old enough to vote) and has served me well to tow the 5th wheel. I've been looking for an excuse to do an upgrade / trade in on the JGC to a shortbed F250/F350. I'm 6'7" and just plain fit much better in a truck than any general commuter vehicles.

I saw a mention of the 1/2 ton truck towing experience being sufficient (??) to then tow the TT. Unless the weights are off (point taken on the more fully loaded weight of the TT to be used as the benchmark instead of the dry weight), are there any opinions on the desired TV for a TT then?

Wife and I are downsizing to a "couples" trailer since the 4 kids and 6 grandkids are off on their own moreso now. Getting it completely outfitted to keep us occupied and happy for the next 10 years or so is the desired outcome.

Keep the advice coming .. thanks bunches! ..

Mike
GiantMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 08:17 AM   #10
linux3

With a GVW of 7200 lbs I'd be looking at a 2500 not a 1/2 ton.
It's been said many times on this forum and I agree that if you are pulling more than 5 ~ 6k lbs get a 2500.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 08:31 AM   #11
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux3 View Post
With a GVW of 7200 lbs I'd be looking at a 2500 not a 1/2 ton.
It's been said many times on this forum and I agree that if you are pulling more than 5 ~ 6k lbs get a 2500.
Or better yet the 350/3500, not much difference in price, ride, fuel economy, but big in hauling difference. With it you're good for a bigger rv when desired. So skip the 1/2 ton, go big or go home!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
passport