Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2019, 09:33 AM   #1
J K

General WDH Questions

Hello... Have been a reader for a couple months, but first post here. Have owned several motor homes, but this is our first TT. Apologize if this has been addressed before, tried searching and not finding specific answers.

I have the Equalizer 4pt 1200/12000 and have now learned that the noises are common and addressable with maintenance and pads, etc... I'm curious about backing up with it. Dealer said that backing up is a no no. Equalizer rep said it's fine. Does anyone unhook the weight distribution bars prior to backing up? Seems extremely cumbersome and I've never seen anyone do it. All good to backup fully hitched? Even extreme turn angles? A lot of grunting a groaning, so just want to make sure.

Also, what do people do with their hitches when not towing? That Equalizer is a beast. When i'm at a site and need to use the TV to go somewhere, I leave the hitch in and swing the arms out to the side (parallel to truck bumper). Does everyone take theirs out when unhooked? I have a locking pin so I'm not overly concerned with left. Is it bad to have the hitch bouncing around back there when not pulling? Those arms are super tight, not worried they'll swing perpendicular to bumper and cause problems for vehicles behind me.

Any comments/thoughts are appreciated. And if these have been addressed and I've done a poor job searching, feel free to say so.
J K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:45 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

The only sway device I'm aware of that needs to be removed for backing is the old "friction arm" style. Your hitch system is fine to back up with. The groaning and popping noise is common.

As for leaving the hitch in the receiver...I remove mine every time we unhitch at the CG. I know some very good Orthopedic Surgeons but I don't like seeing them because I ran into the hitch (again). My truck is a bear to park with the 8' bed and I don't need the added foot of iron behind it. As for your "arms swung out" I wouldn't trust that to stay put over rough roads without somehow securing them with a strap or heavy bungy cord.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:53 AM   #3
J K

flybouy - thank you. good to know on the safe backups.

Ahh, yes, I too have tagged my shins on the arms... not fun. But also concerned with my back getting that thing in and out of there every time. Good advice though, if i do leave in, i'll look at strapping them. I'm not the strongest guy, but it takes a considerable amount of effort to swing them parallel to the bumper - hard to imaging them swinging back. Good advice nonetheless. thanks.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:07 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

I use a "HitchGrip HG712 Hitch Coupling Tool for RVs and Trailers". Works great for me, don't know if it would for you.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 11:32 AM   #5
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

I have same, but a little heavier Equalizer. Back with it all the time with no issues. I leave the hitch in place but do remove the bars until I'm ready to hook back up. Works good for me.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 11:56 AM   #6
J K

good to know, thank you both. just looked at the Hitch Grip and ordered one. I need to look at the bars again tonight and see how they're attached. I didn't think they were easily removable, but sounds as though that's a better route... and it looks like that's what most people do based on the Hitch Grip video.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:55 AM   #7
travelin texans

If the hitch manufacturer says it's ok to back up then I'd say it's ok! If your dealer says the sky is blue, look outside & check it yourself to be sure, some are not very trustworthy.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 12:01 PM   #8
J K

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
If the hitch manufacturer says it's ok to back up then I'd say it's ok! If your dealer says the sky is blue, look outside & check it yourself to be sure, some are not very trustworthy.
ha, good advice. i called equalizer because the comment from the dealer was made while they were trying to talk me out of the equalizer during negotiations. however, upon hearing the moans and groans while backing, their comment started ringing in my head and wanted to be sure from actual users.
Old 11-11-2019, 01:32 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Hi JK, Don't worry about backing with the Equalizer, I've been into some pretty tight spots with the trailer as tight as it can go without knocking off the front of it and have had no problems in years.

For noise, grease per instructions and use the pads on the L brackets; it won't make much noise at all. My RV suspension makes more noise than the hitch when getting twisted up. Tighten the tension bolts for the sway bars to at least 65 lbs. of torque. I use mine at about 75 now when going cross country. When the hitch was new the bars were very difficult to move in and out at 65 lbs, so used a steel cheater bar about 5' long to push them back in; I was able to horse them out by hand. Now I no longer need the bar unless I really cinch down the tension bolts but don't need to.

When setting up the bars come off every time and they go in the pass thru. Raise the tongue jack until the sway bars will move on the L bracket, pull the L retaining pin, pull the bar out (far enough so that if you back in a little crooked you don't have to put the bar back in to swing the receiving end out), pull the retaining pin and clip (put back in the end of the bar), place in pass thru, drop the hitch to get the tension off the ball and coupler, pull the latch on the coupler, raise the jack until it comes off the ball, pull the truck forward (make sure cables, chains etc. are disconnected) then level. Lots of typing but actually goes pretty quickly.

For an overnight stay the hitch stays in the receiver. Parked for any length of time it goes in the bed of the truck. For moving it around I use the HitchGrip.

Edit: I love the Equalizer by the way.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 01:42 PM   #10
J K

great help sourdough, thank you. i have the hitch in the garage and will look at it tonight. for some reason i thought the bars were more fixed and not just a pin/clip. that will cut down on some of the weight and then it should be fine with the help of the hitch grip. i do grease according to instructions, but haven't checked on these pads yet... will do that now. thanks again.
Old 11-11-2019, 02:04 PM   #11
Northofu1

Blue ox is okay to reverse with. I leave mine on and locked when disconnected and sight seeing.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 04:31 PM   #12
DocP

I keep my Equalizer bars and pins in a cheap padded shotgun case, and store them in the front pass-through storage compartment until I'm ready to hook back up. That way, the linoleum in the compartment doesn't get all gouged up, and it's easy to pull them out and push them back into the compartment
DocP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 06:13 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocP View Post
I keep my Equalizer bars and pins in a cheap padded shotgun case, and store them in the front pass-through storage compartment until I'm ready to hook back up. That way, the linoleum in the compartment doesn't get all gouged up, and it's easy to pull them out and push them back into the compartment
The shotgun case is a good idea - I've got about 10 of them spare . I have carpet in my pass thru and then put the bars on top of my collapsible 7' ladder so it works out well.....but I like your idea!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 07:36 PM   #14
Logan X

I’ve been using the Equalizer for years. You can back up with it no problem. As was already mentioned, if you grease it it will all but eliminate the noise, (it may take a couple of greasings).

I usually leave the hitch in, unless I’m going off road, and I always take out the spring bars. I keep the spring bars in the front pass through.

If I leave the hitch in at camp I usually keep the tailgate down so I don’t walk into the hitch. I have a physical lock on the tailgate so it can’t be stolen.

Here is a link for the lock if anyone is curious-

https://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-T.../dp/B007OSL3DY
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 06:24 AM   #15
J K

great tips... thanks everyone. and logan x... cool video. enjoy your trips!
Old 11-12-2019, 07:38 AM   #16
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan X View Post

If I leave the hitch in at camp I usually keep the tailgate down so I don’t walk into the hitch. I have a physical lock on the tailgate so it can’t be stolen.

Here is a link for the lock if anyone is curious-

https://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-T.../dp/B007OSL3DY
You can use a band clamp as well, been doing it on my trucks for over 20 years.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 04:28 PM   #17
Laredo250RL

Equalizer WDH

I loved my equalizer. Always left it fully hitched to back up. Always took the bars off at campground (laid on the ground under the trailer, or 1 end on the ground and 1 end on the L bracket.) Always took the hitch off my truck to avoid knee and shin injury.
Laredo250RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 01:31 PM   #18
UsTwo

I use the Husky Centerline W/D. I do not remove the bars to back in.. I take the bars off after parked but I don't take the hitch out.. I use the Hitch Grip only at home to put in and remove the hitch. I store my bars in the pass thru in 2" PVC pipe that I have cut just shy of the bar length, and attached to the upper frame with self tapping screws in a couple stainless pipe holder clamps.Bars are up and out of the way..

Craig
Kathie
2013 Keystone Cougar
X-Lite 31 RKS
UsTwo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
general