Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2019, 02:51 PM   #1
Ranchhand

Air bags

I recently purchased a 2014 cougar bunkhouse that according to the spec sheet weighs a little over 10000 lbs with 2000 lbs on the hitch. I am going to pull it with a 2011 ram 2500. My question is do you think it is going to squat the rear end enough and mess with the driveability that I will have to put air bags on right away. I am working on a budget and do not really want to spend 400 to 800 dollars (depending on which one I buy). I should add that I have not picked it up yet so I have not seen how much it is going to sag the back end.
Ranchhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 03:13 PM   #2
Roscoe

I run my trailer without air bags but I am going to be getting some and installing them as I feel they add that extra stability when towing.
Edge cs2 Programmer w/ egt
4" Turbo back exhaust
Roscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 03:27 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

What part of the spec sheet says 10k? Are you looking at the dry weight or gvw (dry/empty weight plus the carrying weight)? Whatever you are looking at is giving you a 20% hitch weight so I'm assuming you're talking about a 5th wheel.

Some thoughts;

**IMO it is going to squat. Mine is a 14 and if I drop 2k in the bed it will squat.

**If those are dry weights you are probably over some of your weight limitations - maybe even if that is gvw.

**It is an 8 year old truck. How has it been used? What shape are the springs/shocks/tires in??

I would suggest researching and investigating all of the above before worrying about air bags. You want to make sure that all of your equipment is in good shape and your weights meet specs before trying to add air bags to bandaid a true problem.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 03:46 PM   #4
Ranchhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
What part of the spec sheet says 10k? Are you looking at the dry weight or gvw (dry/empty weight plus the carrying weight)? Whatever you are looking at is giving you a 20% hitch weight so I'm assuming you're talking about a 5th wheel.

Some thoughts;

**IMO it is going to squat. Mine is a 14 and if I drop 2k in the bed it will squat.

**If those are dry weights you are probably over some of your weight limitations - maybe even if that is gvw.

**It is an 8 year old truck. How has it been used? What shape are the springs/shocks/tires in??

I would suggest researching and investigating all of the above before worrying about air bags. You want to make sure that all of your equipment is in good shape and your weights meet specs before trying to add air bags to bandaid a true problem.
Yes the truck is almost 8 years old. I bought it a year old with 20000 miles on it. It now has 54000 miles on it. Does not get a lot of use other than hauling my gooseneck cattle trailer and 25 foot gooseneck flatbed trailer probably 10 to 115 times a year. Tires are new last winter with 3 or 4000 miles on them. As far as the weights on the trailer the spec sheet just says dry weight 10,065 lbs hitch weight 2045 lbs cargo carry capicty 2380 lbs. By no means is my pickup wore out. I would have no problem getting in it and pulling this trailer to California and back
Ranchhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 04:01 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Food for thought;

The trailer will weigh approx. 12,400 gvw. At 20% pin you're looking at 2480. Look at the stickers inside the driver door for your payload, gawr and see which, if any or all, that you will surpass. Remember, on top of that 2480 you have to deduct from your available payload, you also have to deduct the weight for every person, puppy, gear, tools, hitch, etc. etc. etc. I would dare say you will exceed the payload considerably. Which engine do you have?

Also, be aware that "pulling the trailer to California and back" really has nothing to do with doing it safely or within the weight carrying capabilities of the truck. Pulling and carrying are two different things.
Old 03-02-2019, 06:28 PM   #6
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Food for thought;

The trailer will weigh approx. 12,400 gvw. At 20% pin you're looking at 2480. Look at the stickers inside the driver door for your payload, gawr and see which, if any or all, that you will surpass. Remember, on top of that 2480 you have to deduct from your available payload, you also have to deduct the weight for every person, puppy, gear, tools, hitch, etc. etc. etc. I would dare say you will exceed the payload considerably. Which engine do you have?

Also, be aware that "pulling the trailer to California and back" really has nothing to do with doing it safely or within the weight carrying capabilities of the truck. Pulling and carrying are two different things.
I find it's the Etc. etc. etc. that is where payload disappears!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 06:58 PM   #7
HIDE-EE

I have airlift 5000 bags on my 06 GMC 2500 towing a fifth wheel with GVWR at 11400. It dropped the truck a little past level with out the bags. I just keep them at about 30 psi when towing to level it out. Rides nice. No issues. Just added airlift quick shot compressor and tank for in cab adjustability. Works good.
HIDE-EE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 09:03 PM   #8
mtofell

That trailer, when loaded, will likely put about 2200# on the truck if you load a somewhat normal amount of stuff in it. A lot also depends on what you carry in the truck and what type of hitch. For example, my slider hitch weighs 250#. If you're using a gooseneck or light Anderson you don't have that to worry about. So, maybe we need more information. If you you load the trailer heavy, have the truck and bed full of stuff and people, you'll probably need airbags. A light hitch, nothing much in the truck and a light hitch, you'll likely be okay.

I've run airbags on my last couple trucks and it has nothing to do with being a "band-aid". While being well within the limits of the truck the bags help stiffen up the bounce between truck and trailer.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 10:01 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
That trailer, when loaded, will likely put about 2200# on the truck if you load a somewhat normal amount of stuff in it. A lot also depends on what you carry in the truck and what type of hitch. For example, my slider hitch weighs 250#. If you're using a gooseneck or light Anderson you don't have that to worry about. So, maybe we need more information. If you you load the trailer heavy, have the truck and bed full of stuff and people, you'll probably need airbags. A light hitch, nothing much in the truck and a light hitch, you'll likely be okay.

I've run airbags on my last couple trucks and it has nothing to do with being a "band-aid". While being well within the limits of the truck the bags help stiffen up the bounce between truck and trailer.

I believe I said pretty much what you did...we need the weights for the trailer (for now gvw will have to do) and the specs for the truck. I don't know if you use bags for a band aid or not but all I told the OP is to make sure everything else is covered before installing bags to make it look/feel like it is "OK"......a band aid.