Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2018, 09:22 AM   #21
zuley

Correct me if I am wrong here please. I've been researching both hitches for when we pull the trigger and order our new 5th wheel. I've got an 18 2500 Ram with the Cummins. Ordered the truck with the factory 5th wheel prep pkg. Doing my reading it appears as though the Pullrite mounts and lines up directly over the ball mount whereas the Andersen has about a 6 inch offset moving the pin towards the rear of the truck therefore eliminating the need for a slider when used in a 6 foot box.

Asking for verification here please.

zuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 09:28 AM   #22
alpo

Keep in mind the further the actual Hitch Point is moved toward the Rear of the Truck, the more Weight it places on the Rear Axle. Think of it like your arm, hold your arm out and place some weight on it close to your elbow - then move it further and further out, it gets heavier and heavier. Having a 3/4 Tom Ram with a Cummins myself I bet Available Pin Weight is a LARGE concern and our most limiting factor regarding 5th Wheels.
alpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 09:51 AM   #23
skdooman2004

I have the aluminum one , 39 lbs. no clanking or banging. buying a small pull behind thou, so I thought about selling it. excellent cond , not sure where you're at I'm in Pennsylvania,
skdooman2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 09:57 AM   #24
Bobmueller

Anderson hitch is a breeze.

I have an aluminum Anderson hitch in my 1 ton GMC standard bed. I’m pulling a 36’ Montana (by Keystone).
You can pretty much carry the hitch to the bed with one hand if you wanted to.
It installs on just minutes. Just flip the ball to the up position, lay your hitch over the top of the ball, put in the cotter pin, tighten the three bolts to 40 PSI and you’re ready to haul your fifth wheel.
When you get to where you’re going (Aguanga Ca. And Yuma for us) just pull your Anderson hitch out by loosening the bolts, pull the cotter pin and lift out ( one handed if you’re showing off) flip the ball over and put back into the bed, lock it in place with the spring release catch that was installed at inititial installation above the left rear tire, put the rubber hole cover over the pin. You are now the guy that gets to haul all the golf clubs to the course.
Bobmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 10:03 AM   #25
Bobmueller

It helps but you still can’t turn 90 degrees. I found out the hard way. Although with that in mind I’m careful on tight back ins. And have no problems.
Bobmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 10:13 AM   #26
rmhaney

Anderson versus gooseneck

I have the Anderson and enjoy pulling with it. However, I still consider it a hassle having to pull it out to hook up to a gooseneck cattle trailer. I am switching to the Reese Goosebox for my 5th wheel with a LIPPERT1116 pin box.
rmhaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 10:31 AM   #27
alpo

I have seen a “Gooseneck” adapter for RVs as well. It gets Bolted the 5th Wheel in place of the Stock Reciever - you hookup just like a Cattle/Farm Trailer. It also weighs FAR less than the Standard Hitch Assemblies that are being used. I’m actually surprised that Goodenecks aren’t more prevalent in 5th Wheel use. They have to be pretty strong considering the loads you see using them, all the while consisting of far less mass.
Old 10-28-2018, 12:05 PM   #28
SteMax

I love my Andersen! Lightweight easy to use no bucking no chucking just a solid connection.
Buuuuuutttttttt the Reese gooseball is a replacement pin box it doesn’t void warranties and all you have in the bed is the ball.
SteMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 12:11 PM   #29
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteMax View Post
I love my Andersen! Lightweight easy to use no bucking no chucking just a solid connection.
Buuuuuutttttttt the Reese gooseball is a replacement pin box it doesn’t void warranties and all you have in the bed is the ball.
And the Goosebox has an internal "air bag" that helps even more for a smooth ride. Just installed one Friday.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 12:42 PM   #30
alpo

Reese Gooseball is the one I saw. The biggest Drawback I see is it may void any warranty on your Trailer (actually pretty likely), which to me is pretty important. I also don’t see the associated weight, but I assume it to be measurable, making it a pretty attractive option.
Old 10-28-2018, 01:04 PM   #31
chuckster57
Site Team

Reese goosebox does not void the lippert frame warranty.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 02:13 PM   #32
Bnrc73

Just a word of advice on this style of hitch. Make sure you carry the tools needed to remove the hardware from the pinbox. If your TV breaks down not to many good Samaritans will have the hitch to get you rig to a safe location.
Bnrc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 03:05 PM   #33
ancha71

Pullrite SuperGlide

I have the SuperGlide hitch and have been most disappointed with it. The hitch itself is solid and has performed admirably, however hooking up and disconnecting have been most challenging to the point where I am considering trading in my 5th wheel for a TT. You have about a 3/8 inch window to engage the hitch mechanism when connecting and you have to be aligned exactly with truck bed and hitch pin. Unhooking has its challenges as well. sometimes you have to "bump" the truck to get the hitch mechanism to release so you can disengage the handle.

Positive is I can turn almost 90 degrees with my short bed as the hitch mechanism moved up and down the rails.

While camping in New Mexico, a neighbor showed me his Pullrite that all you had to do was get the hitch pin at the bottom of a bowl like structure where it locked in place.

Good luck in your endeavor to find a hitch.
ancha71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 03:56 PM   #34
Kojak

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdooman2004 View Post
I have the aluminum one , 39 lbs. no clanking or banging. buying a small pull behind thou, so I thought about selling it. excellent cond , not sure where you're at I'm in Pennsylvania
Thank you but I’m in Los Angeles, Ca.
Kojak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 05:57 PM   #35
Erin Barr

Love my Aluminum Anderson Hitch!
Erin Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 08:13 AM   #36
krisbc1

Thumbs up Andersen

Had a B&W fifth wheel hitch, just too heavy to handle it by myself.
I have since changed to "The Andersen Ultimate" it's a pleasure to be able to remove and install effortlessly by my lonesome.
krisbc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 08:58 AM   #37
SR71 Jet Mech

Have been using the Anderson hitch for 2 years now and love it. I have the aluminum model. Very easy to install and remove. Very easy to couple the trailer to also. Can’t speak for the other but as long as I have a fiver it’ll be an Anderson for me.
SR71 Jet Mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 09:07 AM   #38
Bnrc73

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancha71 View Post
I have the SuperGlide hitch and have been most disappointed with it. The hitch itself is solid and has performed admirably, however hooking up and disconnecting have been most challenging to the point where I am considering trading in my 5th wheel for a TT. You have about a 3/8 inch window to engage the hitch mechanism when connecting and you have to be aligned exactly with truck bed and hitch pin. Unhooking has its challenges as well. sometimes you have to "bump" the truck to get the hitch mechanism to release so you can disengage the handle.

Positive is I can turn almost 90 degrees with my short bed as the hitch mechanism moved up and down the rails.

While camping in New Mexico, a neighbor showed me his Pullrite that all you had to do was get the hitch pin at the bottom of a bowl like structure where it locked in place.

Good luck in your endeavor to find a hitch.
If I could offer you a tip for an easy hookup. Glue a paint stick or something similar to a magnet, place this on your ball and back up to the trailer. This makes it very easy to put your hitch pin exactly on center. When you get about a 45 degree tilt on your stick just lock it in with your emergency brake and you should have a perfect alignment for t h at easy hookup. This hack is a lot cheaper than changing out your hitch. Happy Camping
Bnrc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 11:11 AM   #39
sfem192

Anderson is a great hitch

I have the Anderson hitch and it has performed great. It is very easy to hookup. It has a funnel shaped receiver and you can be off more than two inches in any direction and still be able to get the ball inside the receiver. Then just push the cable in and it is locked in place. I was skeptical when I first got it but it has performed extremely well. I have the rail system in the bed and just pull out four pins and off it comes. It is also easy to put a long hasp lock on it for security. Someone mentioned about if you had a breakdown with TV. To convert bag to king pin just loosen 4 Allen head screws and remove 1bolt and you are back to 5er.
sfem192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 04:10 PM   #40
JBrophy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kojak View Post
Any thoughts on these two fifth wheel hitches? I currently own a Curtis 24K on a Ram 3500 factory pick system but its getting to be a pain in the *** when I want to remove it so I’m looking for something light weight. I can’t decide between the Anderson hitch or the Pullrite Superlite. Any thoughts?
I personally have a Demko 18K auto-slide hitch that I attach to under bed rails I installed in our Chevy 2500 HD but it is a heavy hitch that I can't remove without help...I too was thinking of the Anderson Hitch.. but here is a recent post on a RV Facebook post of an Anderson Hitch..not saying this is a bad hitch, or what caused the failure...but no matter what hitch you use...caution, common sense and safety all need to remain paramount.
JBrophy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch