Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2018, 01:23 PM   #1
MandJ

Fresh water

Just took ownership of our new Cougar 311RES this past February but due to health reasons, we have only been able to take it out once. Getting ready for our 2nd outing, I wanted to fill the fresh water tank. Connected the hose to the top inlet (one on the left in the photo) and let it run for over 5 minutes but the indicator never registered any water in the tank.

Also, where would the drain valve for the fresh water be located? Can I assume it is the pull valve in the second picture since the valve for both the black and gray water are located in the compartment shown in the first picture?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4A75EFFD-0EC0-4D3E-A836-96FD7A019C83.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	16664   Click image for larger version

Name:	FCC3E705-CBB9-44B5-B77D-9EECB4F3AA64.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	349.9 KB
ID:	16665  
MandJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 02:00 PM   #2
SC Dreamer

I don't have your model but my fresh water drain is under door side of trailer and is white and dumps straight down onto ground. I also have to have hose connected to city water middle connection to fill tank.
SC Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 02:10 PM   #3
MandJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Dreamer View Post
...I also have to have hose connected to city water middle connection to fill tank.
That's where I connected the hose when I took it out on the maiden trip. I now want to partially fill the fresh water tank for an extended trip I'll be making in a few weeks so I have water to flush the toilet while on the road.
Old 05-28-2018, 02:21 PM   #4
Dhuhn

Looks like you may have a gravity fill by the back. Look on driver side toward back of your rig.

2016 Montana 3720RL
2015 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD Duromax :

previous
2012 Montana High Country 313RE
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duromax
2010 Palimino Bronco
2005 Chevy Silverado CC 1500
Dhuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 02:25 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

The handle in your second photo is the tank dump valve for your galley gray tank. Your trailer is equipped with three holding tanks, one 38 gallon black tank, one 38 gallon gray bathroom tank and one 38 gallon gray galley tank. The valves for the black and bathroom gray tanks are in the convenience center. The valve for the galley gray tank is under the slide, near the place where the stove/oven is located. It's the valve in your second photo.

The fresh water drain is typically a 1/2" PEX tube (usually white) with a screw-on cap on the end (some have a 1/4 turn valve, but most have a cap). It will protrude out of the coroplast underbelly about 6" and is directly under the fresh water tank.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 03:46 PM   #6
MandJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhuhn View Post
Looks like you may have a gravity fill by the back. Look on he one side toward back of your rig.
Well duh, that would be behind the little locked door that says "Fresh Water". Thanks for the suggestion on where to look for it. I found the drain for it under the RV a little forward from the rear. It has a white pull handle like the black ones for the gray and black holding tanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The handle in your second photo is the tank dump valve for your galley gray tank. Your trailer is equipped with three holding tanks, one 38 gallon black tank, one 38 gallon gray bathroom tank and one 38 gallon gray galley tank. The valves for the black and bathroom gray tanks are in the convenience center. The valve for the galley gray tank is under the slide, near the place where the stove/oven is located. It's the valve in your second photo.

The fresh water drain is typically a 1/2" PEX tube (usually white) with a screw-on cap on the end (some have a 1/4 turn valve, but most have a cap). It will protrude out of the coroplast underbelly about 6" and is directly under the fresh water tank.
I found the drain for the fresh water tank towards the rear of the RV. The only PEX I can see protruding from underneath are a red one and a blue one that I assume are the low point drains for winterizing the RV.
Since I have now located the fill port for the fresh water, is the top fill port in the first picture what I would use to bypass the water hearter when winterizing the water lines?
Old 05-28-2018, 05:10 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

"Since I have now located the fill port for the fresh water, is the top fill port in the first picture what I would use to bypass the water hearter when winterizing the water lines?"

The hose fitting next to the bypass knob "should be" the attachment point to draw antifreeze into the hot/cold water lines. Connect a hose to that fitting, insert the other end into a gallon of RV antifreeze, turn the valve to "winterize" and turn on the water pump. The system "should" draw antifreeze into the plumbing lines and purge all the water out of the system. With the valve in "winterize" you should not draw antifreeze into your water heater. Just drain it, flush it and don't refill. RV antifreeze is corrosive to the water heater tank lining.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 05:29 PM   #8
MandJ

Thank you for the clarification.

Tags
water