Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2016, 07:01 PM   #21
limit4

Re: Wow....cleaned my awning......

I cleaned my awning today using this methd and all I can say is WOW and thanks for posting!!!!
Old 11-16-2016, 04:18 AM   #22
PT RV`er

Never knew about this method. I`ve been suckered in all these years buying the awning cleaning solutions from camping stores. I`ll be trying this method this weekend. Thanks for the info.

PT RV`er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 06:13 PM   #23
gearhead

Dawn and bleach didn't do much for mine. Mean Green Mold & Mildew Killer did though.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 05:09 PM   #24
cpaulsen

Have done the Dawn and bleach with water for many years........has always worked!
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 05:54 PM   #25
Ksupaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Clorox, or any chlorine bleach is a typical "wash day" product and used in proper concentrations, will not damage your awning or "fade" the color. However, as with most products, "more is not always better".

I use 1/4 cup of Clorox (not Clorox concentrate), 1/4 cup of "blue" Dawn and 1 gallon of warm water. Wet the awning with a hose, spray or brush the solution on your awning, roll it up and let it sit for 20 minutes, then unroll the awning and rinse "THOROUGHLY". You need to remove/dilute all the chlorine, some of which may have saturated the thread in the seams of the awning. Then allow the awning to dry completely, roll it up and remember that when it rains, the awning will collect water. It's usually this "standing rain water" that causes mold and mildew to form on the fabric. So, after each rain, unroll your awning and let it dry.

I've had acrylic fabric awnings, vinyl awnings, cotton canvas awnings that have been striped, "linen faded" and print colors. I've used this solution to clean them for "too long to remember" and I've never had any "color fading" or "fabric damage" from this solution when used as described above.
Sorry to Old Post police, however I have to give this props. Brown nasty 4-6 foot stained streaks every 10-12 inches on bottom of my awning. Used this recipe best I could. Only had 32oz spray bottle so tried to do the math. Pretty sure I had more bleach and Blue Dawn than conversions would have called for but anyway. Sprayed on first tine, rolled up for 30 minutes, then sprayed off with garden hose and spray nozzle. Ehh. It helped but more than half to 70%!the stains still there. The wife talked me into doing it a second time right then. Wish I had the before and after picks. After second time the stains I would say are 95-97% completely eliminated. Under side of awning is bright white by the way.
Ksupaul is offline   Reply With Quote