Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2021, 11:17 AM   #1
B3Dcampers

Lippert step question

On a couple of occasions, we have encountered a situation where the pad site has a pretty good slope or drop off on the door side of the rv. In some cases, it has been bad enough where the feet to our steps will not extend out far enough to make contact with the ground. Has anyone encountered this and if so, do you have a better suggestion than putting wood blocks underneath the feet of the Lippert steps? We have done this, but it creates a rather high 1st step. Appreciate any suggestions.
2022 F-350, 4x4 dually
Jacksonville, TX
B3Dcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 12:00 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

We have the older "fold out 3 step configuration" and there have been times when the bottom step was knee high with no parachute to the ground. I don't know of any "safe way to prepare for that kind of slope"

But for us, we carry a adjustable single aluminum folding step and have been able to put it under the "too tall bottom step" and make do in most situations.

You might consider something like the "no tip aluminum folding step" to help make it easier to get in and out. As for the Lippert steps. if the extending legs don't reach the ground, the only way I know to make do is to put blocks under the legs to keep them reasonably stable.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 01:42 PM   #3
jasin1

Maybe make a small plywood platform …maybe like little wider then the width of stairs.don’t know the exact measurements but say 30”x 20”..1/2” plywood screwed down to 2x4s mounted edgewise around perimeter.

Put that on the ground then lower the stairs onto that..would be a little step up then the main stairs.
You could just throw it upside down in the bed of your truck when you don’t need it and store wood blocks for landing pads in it ….just a though
Old 10-16-2021, 02:10 PM   #4
Javi

Yes.....

wood blocks and one of these I bought on a whim nearly 20 years ago..

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Adjusta...77681122&psc=1
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 02:13 PM   #5
travelin texans

I found if I manually lowered the front landing gear several inches after unhooking from the truck & before hitting auto level that it would level the rv lower than just hitting auto after unhitching. Also always added a couple of Lynx Levelers under each jack, more on the low side, regardless of the site to keep from extending the jacks anymore than necessary which makes it feel more stable.
I also had the step Javi pictured for the steps if needed.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 02:16 PM   #6
dutchmensport

Do you mean when you encounter a campsite like this?

We have the MORryde steps and one of the first things we did was purchase the longer extensions (feet). With a simple bolt and wing nut in the configuration like in the photo, the steps don't have to dangle in the air any more, or be blocked up with lumber.

However, that first step is a doozie! We purchased a set of ramps that hook on to the tail gate of the truck so we can easily roll up into the bed of the truck our Onan generators. Our alternative is to use the ramps on the bottom step to the ground, supported in this fashion with the extended feet. And yes, it works great!

Old 10-16-2021, 02:55 PM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

I also have the "traditional " style 3 step under door steps. I use a sjngle platform style (Camco Adjustable Height Aluminum Platform Step- Supports Up to 1,000 lb., Includes Non-Slip Rubber Feet, Durable Construction, Easy to Store and Transport - (43676) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G258I0G...Y6MJDMPB6MVYRG) even if we don’t need the extra height. I have an indoor/outdoor grass type rug that just fits on top of it. We've found that it adds stability when stepping from the side and the piece of rug catches dirt well. I set the rug on the gloor just inside the front door and place the strp onbit flipped upside down. It rides well snd doesn’t sl8de around when underway.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 03:59 PM   #8
NH_Bulldog

I agree with the step Marshall posted a link to. When we park at home and use our camper as a guest house, that first step is a doozie. We use the same step and can attest to its suitability and durability.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote