Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2016, 01:19 PM   #1
Pull Toy

Extra easy outside outlet

Not sure who the Rocket Scientist was that put the factory 120v outlet forward of the basement, and 5 feet in the air, but I need a realistic solution for coffee maker and toaster, "under the awning".

I cut a hole in the side to mount a 120volt weather-tite duplex between the water heater and the basement hatch. (see photo) The easiest way to connect it is to put a short length of left over 14/3 or 16/3 with a male plug end, just plug into the overhead outlet in your basement. You are automatically GFI'd as the basement is GFI'd . Dress the excess wire behind your partition.

CAVEAT: Place the 120v outlet as close to the access door as possible, as the water heater is bigger than it looks behind the water heater, access door!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	11037  

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 06:05 PM   #2
bobbecky

Actually, you should be using at least 14/2 Romex, that for a 15 amp outlet, or 12/2 for a 20 amp outlet, depending on what that circuit is rated at, especially if you are planning to run a coffee maker and toaster on it. You don't count the ground conductor in these type cables. I would also think it difficult to find 16 gauge Romex.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 06:35 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Romex doesn't lend itself to easy to make an extension cord, if that's what you did by putting a plug end on it.

The outlets in RV's are easy to pop the back off and add Romex to extend the circuit.

Did you use Romex or extension cord?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 06:39 PM   #4
denverpilot

The outlet up high near the awning was intended for hanging awning lighting.
Old 08-10-2016, 07:19 AM   #5
Campy

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverpilot View Post
The outlet up high near the awning was intended for hanging awning lighting.
I wish I could reach my awning for hanging lights it's 11 feet up?? Plus my only outlet is in the middle of the awning, not very well thought out.
Old 08-10-2016, 07:54 AM   #6
denverpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campy View Post
I wish I could reach my awning for hanging lights it's 11 feet up?? Plus my only outlet is in the middle of the awning, not very well thought out.

Ahh ok. I can reach mine just barely on the fiver, and the outlet is at the front right next to the awning arm.
Old 08-10-2016, 01:52 PM   #7
Pull Toy

MY BAD!

Fat thumb got in the way on the wire gauges ... I actually used 12/2 with ground extension cord scrap,maybe 28 to 30 inches max, (D*MN Lawnmower)... and quality three prong HD plug end. As far as awning lights Bah Humbug! I'd rather have a toast and coffee!!! The guy on the next sight last week actually had a multi gun,laser light show with music going on all night. (AS IN LOOK AT ME!!! ((musta had small hands)) Called security at 11:30! Where's the bolt cutters with the insulated grips when you need them? Wanted to cut it so close he didn't have stubs to splice! Who'd a thunk RV SITE RAGE!!!

The toaster and coffee maker are plugged in to this realistic height outlet, but staggered in their use. The coffee's done before the toasted bagels go in

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 04:26 PM   #8
denverpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull Toy View Post
MY BAD!

Fat thumb got in the way on the wire gauges ... I actually used 12/2 with ground extension cord scrap,maybe 28 to 30 inches max, (D*MN Lawnmower)... and quality three prong HD plug end. As far as awning lights Bah Humbug! I'd rather have a toast and coffee!!! The guy on the next sight last week actually had a multi gun,laser light show with music going on all night. (AS IN LOOK AT ME!!! ((musta had small hands)) Called security at 11:30! Where's the bolt cutters with the insulated grips when you need them? Wanted to cut it so close he didn't have stubs to splice! Who'd a thunk RV SITE RAGE!!!

The toaster and coffee maker are plugged in to this realistic height outlet, but staggered in their use. The coffee's done before the toasted bagels go in

Hahaha I'm with ya on the toast and coffee. I was just telling ya why they stuck mine where it is, apparently. It's kinda useless up there for anything else.

I just make the coffee inside though...

Laser light show! LOL also. As Bugs Bunny would have said, "What a maroon!"
Old 08-15-2016, 06:50 AM   #9
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull Toy View Post
MY BAD!

^^^Amen, brother.^^^

Ranting internally...
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote