Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2012, 03:48 AM   #1
Mac123

Smile Towing with a Tacoma

We are picking up our new 2013 Cougar 21RSB. I have a 2011 Tacoma with factory installed towing package, Eqalizer weight distribution/ sway control and brake assist system. My towing capacity is 6500 lbs. The TT weighs 5239 lbs. off the lot, according to the specs. I'm thinking a Tundra would be better suited to the task. For now though I have the Tacoma. My Toyota dealer and lots of experience RV TT owners assure me I'll be ok for now. "Been there, done that. A bigger truck will be better but you'll be just fine for now.", they say. We are new to this and are only planning weekend short trips for this season ( 100 miles or less). Any reassuring words are welcome.
Mac123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:23 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Tongue weight, total GVW for the RV, passenger load, axle ratings, there's a lot more to towing an RV than just trailer weight and max tow vehicle rating.

More numbers, critical analysis and not believing the dealer are paramont here.....

Give more information for a "closer analysis" but my initial take would be you'll be overloaded and it won't work safely.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:36 PM   #3
Nimbus

My trailer pulls very well with my Tundra. In fact, last Monday I pulled up the Maryhill hill from the Columbia River to Goldendale at 70 MPH...no problem...with more throttle left & it was a 99 dergree day!

That being said, there have been windy conditions where I was glad I had at least the Tundra & was wishing I still had my F350! I too think it will be very marginal. I'd keep my speed slow & easy. I rarely tow over 65 MPH.

With the great resale value of Tacoma's I bet your local dealer would be glad to help you trade up!
Old 08-08-2012, 03:20 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
My trailer pulls very well with my Tundra. In fact, last Monday I pulled up the Maryhill hill from the Columbia River to Goldendale at 70 MPH...no problem...with more throttle left & it was a 99 dergree day!

That being said, there have been windy conditions where I was glad I had at least the Tundra & was wishing I still had my F350! I too think it will be very marginal. I'd keep my speed slow & easy. I rarely tow over 65 MPH.

With the great resale value of Tacoma's I bet your local dealer would be glad to help you trade up!
Just a quick comment, your ST tires are speed rated at 65MPH and on a hot day (99*F) driving at 70 for a sustained time may well overheat your tires and could make you one of those complaining about blowouts and RV damage amounting to $1000's of dollars. Maybe you'll be one of the "lucky ones" that never has a problem with ST tires, but why push the envelope?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-08-2012, 05:19 PM   #5
Mac123

Well we made it home from the dealers lot. 114 miles. No problem but it WAS obvious that a bigger truck would be better.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:50 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac123 View Post
Well we made it home from the dealers lot. 114 miles. No problem but it WAS obvious that a bigger truck would be better.
You ask for "reassuring words" at 7:48 this morning and announce at 9:19 this evening that you arrived home with the trailer after a 114 mile tow from the dealer's lot. It would appear that you asked the question and then left to pick up the trailer without regard to anyone's time spent detailing your requested "reassuring words"

I think I've wasted the time I used to try to "help you" and in the future will find ways to better use my time than responding to what is an obvious "ask a question with no intention of considering the responses"

Hope you enjoy your RV with whatever tow vehicle you decide to use. Have a great day !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-08-2012, 08:01 PM   #7
Nimbus

Congratulations on your new trailer! I probably would have towed it home too to see how it would go.

You seem like an intelligent person & I'm sure you'll use good judgement in future towing.

Enjoy!
Old 08-09-2012, 04:24 AM   #8
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
You ask for "reassuring words" at 7:48 this morning and announce at 9:19 this evening that you arrived home with the trailer after a 114 mile tow from the dealer's lot. It would appear that you asked the question and then left to pick up the trailer without regard to anyone's time spent detailing your requested "reassuring words"

I think I've wasted the time I used to try to "help you" and in the future will find ways to better use my time than responding to what is an obvious "ask a question with no intention of considering the responses"

Hope you enjoy your RV with whatever tow vehicle you decide to use. Have a great day !!!!!
Well said. I think most of these types of questions are posted by people who have already made the decision or have already matched the TV and trailer and are just wanting someone to tell them that it's going to work fine. You also don't have to spend much time on here to find out that listening to a dealer is a bad choice. They are in business to sell rigs, not keep you safe on the road.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:22 AM   #9
SAABDOCTOR

JRTJH I stayed out of this one. The last time you and i posted about wasteing our time we got our butts handed to us. I am still amazed how someone could tow at such a marginal level or go 70+ in 100 degree with st tires. whats that about age and wisdom?
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:01 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Barney, after 26 years in the Air Force, I've had my butt handed to me in more ways than most could imagine. There's certainly no "new way" gonna be found on this forum (Festus that's not a challenge) , but yeah, in response, age and wisdom (spelled: EXPERIENCE) goes a long LONG way toward making people safer and more able to manage a negative situation.

Almost every time I get passed by a RV that looks kind of "shakey" I catch up to him and park beside him at the next rest area or at the next fuel stop. All that hurry to get there "fast" usually only amounts to a few minutes at best and sometimes causes a situation that takes hours or even days to resolve before getting back on the road.... Life's short, but not too short to take enough time to be safe and not screw things up worse than they were.....

It's just disappointing to be asked a question, to take the time to respond and to be demonstratively ignored for the effort. Oh well, another "experience" for me to learn from, this one with no scars <wink>

After all, look at us, somehow we made it

John

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-09-2012, 09:54 AM   #11
SAABDOCTOR

gee 26 years air force i knew i liked you for a reason. my dad was XXI bomer B29's fatherinlaw 40 years 8th af sac LTC ret 1974. our son usn plank owner battan LDS5. thanks for your service.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:43 AM   #12
Mac123

Smile Thanks!

Sorry if I wasted your time. We all have so little of it. I appreciate where you're coming from. I was hoping I'd be told we'd be ok. A lot of people did, including the people at my Toyota dealership. We made it. I am getting a bigger truck though. By the way.......I hope my appology doesn't waste more of your precious time. and thanks for all that you gave me.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:13 AM   #13
Javi

Testy bunch around here...
Old 08-14-2012, 11:56 AM   #14
Mighty Ming

Heck I can't believe I actually took the time to read this link. Who's time got wasted now? Entertaining tho!!! Be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Go Padres!!
Mighty Ming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:21 PM   #15
x96mnn

MAC123,

Are you going with the new truck sooner then latter or were you fine with the performance of your truck on the haul home?

If you were fine with it are you using anything to help with the tow like weight distro or anti sway systems?
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:49 PM   #16
jimc

useful Tacoma towing info.

I tow an '04 Zeppelin Z181 with a Tacoma, about 4-4500lb with stuff.
The truck has the heavier duty (extra leaf) springs - check with your
dealer about the TSB ("harsh ride") if you have the 3 leaf setup.This upgrade includes the Bilstein shocks too. Big difference and no charge.
Using a WD hitch is a must, and I'm seriously considering a sway control.
Based on 2 seasons with this, I'd say you are maxed out at 5000+, maybe get the rig weighed to verify actual tow weight.
Good luck,
Jim
jimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:25 AM   #17
Mac123

Smile Thanks to all

Thank you, all of you for your helpful comments. To answer a few questions.....I have the factory installed tow package, Equalizer weight distribution and anti sway control, ActivatorIII brake control, 10 ply LT tires. I'll ask my toyota dealer about the heavy duty springs and shocks though. I think I'm still going to be better off with a Tundra and 10,000 lb capacity. Thanks to all.
Kevin