Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2018, 05:16 AM   #41
saturn450

Class a

I found out if you go talk to the people who will giving the driven part of the test our more knowledgeable on what you need then the ones in the office
saturn450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 05:30 AM   #42
sgrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Exempt facilities are DPS testing sites that do both CDL and Exempt testing... Most CDL sites only test commercial... I've included a link to the website.. https://www.dps.texas.gov/administration/driver_licensing_control/rolodex/cdlExemptVehTestSites.htm

I HIGHLY recommend that you have the CDL-2 filled out but unsigned before you show up to register for the written test. It will remove a lot of the confusion. It also clearly states at the bottom of the form which written test is required. Remember do not sign it until requested to do so. It must be filled out in INK not on the computer...

CDL-2 form which is the EXEMPT form. SELECT Recreational Vehicle, http://www.dps.texas.gov/internetforms/Forms/CDL-2.pdf

Also, fill out DL-43 which is the application to change class of license. It can be done on the computer and then printed, but again do not sign it until requested to do so.. http://www.dps.texas.gov/InternetForms/Forms/DL-43.pdf

You will be asked to SWEAR that the information is truthful and correct before being allow to sign these documents...

This isn't really difficult, but the clerks at the DPS are making it more so.. Being forewarned and prepared I was in and out of the registration and written test in less than an hour... (seven minutes to take the test).

The driving test was a bit more, (appointment was for 7:30 am, didn't get started until 8:30 and done by 9:15 and on my way home) as a note you will need a copy of your registration receipt for both the trailer and the truck, a copy of your insurance (must be paper no cell phone) and a copy of the inspection forms for both the truck and trailer.

One last thing... you must take the IMPACT TEXAS DRIVERS COURSE on line and print out the certificate and carry it with you to show before the driving test.

OH.... if you currently have a CLASS C license and it isn't about to expire the fee for all this is a whopping $11
I had the CDL-2 filled out from computer, signed, and notarized before I went to the DMV - no questions about it. The 11/14 version of the form states "Texas Commercial Rules" for the written exam requirement, nothing about sec 14. I asked about taking the distracted drivers test and they said it wasn't required, forgot the reason.

Gearhead - If you do choose to go to Spring (they do driving test too) you can check in online and cut your waiting time way down. Like you, there were people that had been there for hours but we got in and out with no problem except the extra test. My truck is a 2017 and the only thing I can find for registration is the sticker on the windshield (no data about weight). Ford door sticker has 14k.
Old 07-07-2018, 05:46 AM   #43
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrol View Post
I had the CDL-2 filled out from computer, signed, and notarized before I went to the DMV - no questions about it. The 11/14 version of the form states "Texas Commercial Rules" for the written exam requirement, nothing about sec 14. I asked about taking the distracted drivers test and they said it wasn't required, forgot the reason.

Gearhead - If you do choose to go to Spring (they do driving test too) you can check in online and cut your waiting time way down. Like you, there were people that had been there for hours but we got in and out with no problem except the extra test. My truck is a 2017 and the only thing I can find for registration is the sticker on the windshield (no data about weight). Ford door sticker has 14k.
That is Chapter 14 …

Look at the receipt for your license plates.. that is the registration receipt.

Oh... the Impact Driving thing will show up when you register for the driving test..
Old 07-07-2018, 06:06 AM   #44
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Great information everyone. I'm sure this will help others.

Just n observation. I know Texas is BIG and all, but this all seems over the top even for Texas. WOW!

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 06:57 AM   #45
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
Great information everyone. I'm sure this will help others.

Just n observation. I know Texas is BIG and all, but this all seems over the top even for Texas. WOW!
I'm reasonably certain that all states that currently do not require licensing for large recreational vehicles, soon will..

These laws have been on the books in Texas for many, many years... When I got my driver's license in '63 they were just that a driver's license... I vaguely remember when they started the CLASS thing but not the specific year.. but it was around the mid to late 60's.. I think...

The guy who was doing my driving test was full of stories about folks in a panic to get the license after getting stopped...

The sad thing is the lack of knowledge about the requirements on the part of those administrating the DL tests.. Well that and public education on the requirement..

The RV industry, the County Clerks, and the DPS fail miserably in educating the unsuspecting public... it's really a shame

If anyone needs any advise about this, PM me and I'll give you my cell #
Old 07-07-2018, 11:59 AM   #46
sgrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
That is Chapter 14 …

Look at the receipt for your license plates.. that is the registration receipt.

Oh... the Impact Driving thing will show up when you register for the driving test..
Ok, found it, or my wife did. For my 17 F350 DRW it says
Registration Class:Truck - LESS/EQL. 1 ton.
Vehicle Classification: Trk <= 1
Empty Wt: 7800 Carrying Capacity: 1000 Gross Wt: 8800
I don't see GVWR or 14.000 anywhere on it. Door sticker has 14k. My TH GVWR is 18,500 so I am still over 26k no matter how you look at it. Would I still need to get my truck registered differently? What number/s should be different on my registration?
Old 07-07-2018, 12:04 PM   #47
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrol View Post
Ok, found it, or my wife did. For my 17 F350 DRW it says
Registration Class:Truck - LESS/EQL. 1 ton.
Vehicle Classification: Trk <= 1
Empty Wt: 7800 Carrying Capacity: 1000 Gross Wt: 8800
I don't see GVWR or 14.000 anywhere on it. Door sticker has 14k. My TH GVWR is 18,500 so I am still over 26k no matter how you look at it. Would I still need to get my truck registered differently? What number/s should be different on my registration?
I pm'ed you my cell # but yep... they really screwed you up.. 1,000 pounds is all you can legally haul in that dually..
Old 07-10-2018, 03:03 PM   #48
gearhead

I made it to my county courthouse yesterday. I live in a different county than where I bought the truck. The lady in the tax office was nice and knowledgeable about what I wanted. It took maybe 1 minute. I had my checkbook out on the counter all prepared to write a check for $114.75 or whatever the pro-rated was going to be.
How much do I owe you?
$1.
I didn't argue with her. Next is getting a CDL study book.
So I need to get the 5th inspected, and take the CDL written test.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 05:40 PM   #49
saturn450

Exempt

I walk in an took the 20 question test for an excerpt class A in Texas I missed three. One question was what year was it mandatory for turn signals on cars. Nothing to do on what you are doing. Common sense question except for the one above.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:56 AM   #50
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturn450 View Post
I walk in an took the 20 question test for an excerpt class A in Texas I missed three. One question was what year was it mandatory for turn signals on cars. Nothing to do on what you are doing. Common sense question except for the one above.
1960 but you still needed to know the hand signals.. Took my test in 1963 in a '49 Plymouth Coupe
Old 07-11-2018, 03:58 AM   #51
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I made it to my county courthouse yesterday. I live in a different county than where I bought the truck. The lady in the tax office was nice and knowledgeable about what I wanted. It took maybe 1 minute. I had my checkbook out on the counter all prepared to write a check for $114.75 or whatever the pro-rated was going to be.
How much do I owe you?
$1.
I didn't argue with her. Next is getting a CDL study book.
So I need to get the 5th inspected, and take the CDL written test.
Yep 10K was the break line and I believe you said your truck was registered for 10,200 so that makes sense..

Congrats to you... it'll feel better knowing that you are legal
Old 07-11-2018, 04:06 AM   #52
gearhead

Just FYI:
TxDMV just did a press release about getting CDL drivers tests scheduled ASAP...

AUSTIN July 10, 2018 ⎯ Summer is one of the busiest times at driver license offices statewide, and the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) is reminding all customers seeking a Commercial Driver License (CDL) to begin the process as early as possible. This is particularly important for those seeking employment at school districts to allow them ample time to obtain a CDL before the school year begins.
CDL customers can obtain their Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP) and take their written test at any of the more than 200 driver license offices statewide. A CDL customer must hold the CLP for at least 14 days before they can take their skills test. Because skills tests can only be taken at certain offices, appointments fill up fast during the summer.
Though a driver needs a wide breadth of knowledge to be successful in driving a commercial vehicle, the information included in the test itself is limited to the material contained in the CDL Handbook. Therefore, CDL applicants are encouraged to carefully study the CDL Handbook and review the three-step process for tests: pre-trip vehicle inspection, basic vehicle control and on-road driving. DPS has also created a series of videos to help CDL applicants prepare for the vehicle inspection portion of the test.
Any applicant seeking CDL training is encouraged to review the Texas Workforce Commission website to find a training program in their area.
Customers with general questions about obtaining their CDL can reach the department by emailing [email protected]. Customers with questions about the CDL Third-Party Testing Program can send their questions to [email protected].
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 07-11-2018, 05:34 AM   #53
saturn450

Non CDL

No I didn’t have to know hand signals. There a difference between non cdl and cdl. Non cdl class a requires a 20 question test and a 30 min check ride pulling your trailer and Backing the trailer up in a straight line for 60 feet. This is in texas
Old 07-11-2018, 05:43 AM   #54
saturn450

I was told they are doing the CDL test ride at the bigger city’s and the non CDL in the smaller outlining areas. I live in the DFW area and had to go 100 miles away in a smaller town to take my non CDL test to get it in in the 90 day period.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:01 AM   #55
Javi

Quote:
I was told they are doing the CDL test ride at the bigger city’s and the non CDL in the smaller outlining areas. I live in the DFW area and had to go 100 miles away in a smaller town to take my non CDL test to get it in in the 90 day period.
Where did you take your driving test?
Old 07-11-2018, 09:03 AM   #56
travelin texans

In Texas the rv/auto dealers are not about to mention, even if they had a clue, a thing about a different drivers license, that may prevent them making a sale.
This discussion has been going on for years in Texas. Unfortunately you can ask 10 people, troopers, county clerks, DMV folks, about it & get 10 different opinions on what is required by law & 10 different interpretations of that law.
In 2016 my class C was up for renewal & went with full intentions of getting the class A, but after so much confusion from EVERYONE involved I just renewed my class C. At that time there was a list of exemptions for the class A, farmers, etc, etc, the last one on the list was "towing a rv for personal use", which is what EVERYONE kept referring to, whether it's still in the requirements, I don't know, but was in 2016.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:53 AM   #57
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
In Texas the rv/auto dealers are not about to mention, even if they had a clue, a thing about a different drivers license, that may prevent them making a sale.
This discussion has been going on for years in Texas. Unfortunately you can ask 10 people, troopers, county clerks, DMV folks, about it & get 10 different opinions on what is required by law & 10 different interpretations of that law.
In 2016 my class C was up for renewal & went with full intentions of getting the class A, but after so much confusion from EVERYONE involved I just renewed my class C. At that time there was a list of exemptions for the class A, farmers, etc, etc, the last one on the list was "towing a rv for personal use", which is what EVERYONE kept referring to, whether it's still in the requirements, I don't know, but was in 2016.
It's still there... however it was never intended to suggest an exemption from anything but the Commercial part of the license… The provisions for the class of license is still in force.. so with the rig listed in your signature you would need a Class A Exempt License..
Old 07-11-2018, 10:06 AM   #58
gearhead

Quote:
I just left my small town (8,500) county seat DL office. They said they don't do any driving tests. Referred me to Baytown, and another I don't remember. I asked what about Livingston? Uh, Uh, not sure.
I know they used to do driving tests here. And I remember seeing the "rent a CDL" trucks there with folks taking the driving test.
One would think there would be at least one in every county. One would think.

I'm in no hurry. Grandma ain't going nowhere with the 2 new grandbabies here anyway. I will probably load the Bigfoot and do some fishing in Arkansas in a few weeks.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 07-15-2018, 12:52 PM   #59
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I just left my small town (8,500) county seat DL office. They said they don't do any driving tests. Referred me to Baytown, and another I don't remember. I asked what about Livingston? Uh, Uh, not sure.
I know they used to do driving tests here. And I remember seeing the "rent a CDL" trucks there with folks taking the driving test.
One would think there would be at least one in every county. One would think.

I'm in no hurry. Grandma ain't going nowhere with the 2 new grandbabies here anyway. I will probably load the Bigfoot and do some fishing in Arkansas in a few weeks.
Did you get it done, or is you fishing in Arkansas?
Old 08-11-2018, 06:45 AM   #60
Javi

bump for y'all