Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2018, 07:45 PM   #1
Big Boy w/ Big Toys

Geney Hitch

Anyone here using a Geney torsion suspension WDH? Was curious on your experiences or issues? I searched a couple of forums and have not found any postings. Was hoping maybe someone was holding out.

TIA
BBwBT
Big Boy w/ Big Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:55 AM   #2
Tbos

I have not heard of that one on the forum. That doesn’t mean someone doesn’t have one.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 06:47 AM   #3
Big Boy w/ Big Toys

Well I went out and bought one. So far, I am pretty impressed with just the short trip we went on. I have always hated pulling my Raptor 30 FS with nothing in the garage as it made it a bit nose heavy and rough on the tail end on the truck. The hitch does just as they say it...takes up the bumps. Crossing bridges and a few frost heaves I didn't get the normal heave/slam down thru the hitch. The built in scale seems pretty close...close enough I can tell if I am nose or tail heavy will be easy. Will up date with a few more trips and some pictures here soon.

BTW there is one drawback...the dang thing is HEAVY!!! Shipping weight was 110 pounds for the receiver and suspension part add the Ball adapter and bars and you need a real man to install that into the receiver. Good thing about that. I don't think anyone is going to unpin it and run off with it.

What I bought:
https://genyhitch.com/shop/weight-di...on-drop-hitch/

Not my video but for idea of what I am talking about:
Old 06-11-2018, 08:39 AM   #4
cvin

i have seen these and been interested

so you just add your other wd bars etc and use this as the shank?

look forward to more feedback from you on how it does

please post some pics of your full set up if you have time
Old 06-11-2018, 08:41 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Do you use a weight distributing hitch on that? The video looks as though there's a lot of side to side movement from those 4 connections on the torsion pivots.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:08 AM   #6
Big Boy w/ Big Toys

When you run thru the video you will hear him mention the side to side movement...that is the hitch doing it's job.

There are two other videos out there using a WDH. The first the buyer ordered the biggest hitch and found that it had little to no deflection. That hitch was rated for 21,000 lbs and up to 2400 pounds of tongue weight. The hitch has an operating range of 1700 to 2400 pounds. In the second video he purchased the next hitch down and was very happy with the way it worked. Hitch was rated for 800 to 1700 lbs.

So knowing hitch weight will be very important for selection. I now can tow my toy hauler with an empty garage and not get beat to death crossing bridge joints. My tongue weight runs between 1600 and 2100 lbs depending on the activities planned for the trip. I tend to be critical of the 10% to 15% of trailer weight for the tongue.

Not my video or choice but not many out there.

My Pics
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0388.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	316.8 KB
ID:	16958

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0389.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	429.3 KB
ID:	16959
Old 06-12-2018, 10:03 AM   #7
Big Boy w/ Big Toys

So I have watched the video that shows the side to side movement of the horse trailer. I am not real sure I understand where that movement would come from except maybe for if there was a side wind hitting the trailer. Maybe if you have offset bumps or cracks in the road?

My opinion right now is there is a big difference. Alaska roads are brutal. You can go from well maintained and smooth to frost heaves and potholes the size of small cars.
Old 07-07-2018, 06:54 PM   #8
Big Boy w/ Big Toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvin View Post
i have seen these and been interested

so you just add your other wd bars etc and use this as the shank?

look forward to more feedback from you on how it does

please post some pics of your full set up if you have time
I hope you seen in the pictures...the answer is yes. I just unbolted my shank and put the WDH setup on the Geney....

So my about 800 mile round trip report. First if you need a bit more set back on your tow set up this will add four to five inches further back. Nice when you have a topper and a V Nose trailer. AS for the towing, Alaska Roads are brutal big dips and frost heaves with a few places that seem to just shake everything. To my liking I found very little interaction between the trailer and my truck as it had done in years past towing. Also found that the truck settled faster after missing a bad dip and I did not get the big bucking action I had in the past on similar dips.

I believe those that travel concrete highways will benefit the most over the slab joints. I can also think of a section of I 15 thru Salt Lake that the hitch would help a lot.

Pulling a Raptor 30FS with a '12 F350 DRW CC FYI and we do run heavy.

Tags
hitch