Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2013, 07:29 PM   #1
MasonsMom

We did it!

Put a deposit on the 2650BH. We can get it Saturday. Any advise? What all do we need to take on our virgin flight? I am drawing a complete blank on what we need for the camper. Never done this before.
MasonsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:41 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

First, congratulations on your new RV!

Secondly, I would highly recommend that you go to the Keystone Questions section of the forum, read, download, print and take with you, the Pre-Delivery Inspection Checklist. This list will help you during your walk-through and things you should check or ask about during this critical time. You would be surprised at the number of people who, after buying an RV, don't know where the water pump and converter are located, how to manually put the slides in and out, where the dump valves for the various tanks are located, where the fresh water tank is and how to drain it,..... the list goes on.

During the walk-through, take your time and make notes or take photos of what all the switches and controls are for, how the remote works, ......etc.

Get the tech to turn on the A/C, stove, fridge, water pump, HW tank (by propane and electricity) --- see how each works.

If you find things that are in need of repair or replacement, get them itemized and in writing. Don't give the dealer your final payment until everything is completed to your satisfaction. Often, once you write that final cheque, their interest in you suddenly drops.

Thirdly, there is another sticky on the forum found in the Prospective Owner's Section. This list, called "RV Owners Checklist" itemizes many of the common things you will need to outfit your RV. It is a helpful guide but you will find out that you may not need some of this stuff but require something else.

Hope this helps you get started.

PS Are you, by any chance, related to MasonsDad? If you are, it's very unusual to have husband and wife have separate accounts and user names on the forum.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:53 PM   #3
theeyres

When we first started Rving, much of the fun was discovering what we needed for our own style of camping. My advice is to get the basic kit they will usually give you...sewer line, water hose & regulator...and pack what you think you want and have fun. If you go by any other list, you will just buy a bunch of stuff that doesn't fit your life style.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:26 PM   #4
Pmedic4

Good Comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by theeyres View Post
When we first started Rving, much of the fun was discovering what we needed for our own style of camping. My advice is to get the basic kit they will usually give you...sewer line, water hose & regulator...and pack what you think you want and have fun. If you go by any other list, you will just buy a bunch of stuff that doesn't fit your life style.
Regarding the basic kit, we've gone the full spectrum. One place gave us a 5 gallon bucket of essentials, tank drain hose, B&G Water deodorizer, water pressure regulator, etc., while another gave us nothing, in fact, they're comment was "those are usually so cheap, you'll want to buy your own". True, but you have to start somewhere.

Then, everyone does have preferences, and uses their RV differently. Start with the basics, and add those 'tools' as you go. I could tell you what we use, but you will definitely have different methods, just as we do in our homes. The great part about RVs, is there are millions of gadgets, to may it easier. Some you'll buy and like, others, they don't fit your style, but it's fun to see. ENJOY!

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:24 AM   #5
MasonsMom

Festus--yes masonsdad is my husband. We have separate accts since he is on his phone, I am on my phone, and we are separated all week because of his job. (He travels extensively and every week). Yes we are part time hubs and wife haha. Thanks for the info on the pre inspection and we will make sure we print it and study it before we go.
MasonsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:08 AM   #6
UsTwo

Thumbs up

Gotta tell ya that Festus2 was right on with his answer... We have been through 3 other walk throughs, and thought we had a pretty good idea what was what.. but with the check list they have posted on here .. wow we had missed some things... did not use everything on the check list, but it did open the ole eyes to other things.. if that makes some sense.. If you have a video cam,, take that with you.. trust me you will forget how something works and can go back to the video. Thats it except i was wondering who you bought your camper through..

Craig
Kathie
2013 Keystone Cougar
X-Lite 31 RKS
UsTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:53 AM   #7
Lmccraw

I always video the walk through that is conducted the day of inspection. They talk waaaay too fast. I'm on camper #2 and camping trip #6. I'm still green, and still ask the more experienced campers questions every time I camp. They seem to enjoy it.

Probably the area I struggled with the most, and they spent the least amount of time on was the black water/grey water routine. Not so much the act of hooking up the hoses, but the act of prepping the black water tank but filling part way with fresh water and then putting a treatment into the tank. There is a lot of info on here about that. I didn't get that right until this trip.

We are on day 5 of our beach trip with our new 2650bh, and we are very happy. 2 adults, on dd12 and the 110 lb service dog lab. All is good. Have fun and enjoy.

As for items you need:

Standard queen sheets (we put a mattress topper on ours)
Twins sheets for bunks (they aren't standard twin size, but they work ok)
Command strips (large size) for bathroom door to serve as towel hooks
Clear storage containers for kitchen cabinets to store stuff.
Extension cords

That will get you started; the rest is for you to discover!

2013 Passport 2650BH GT
Tow vehicle: 2012 Ford Expedition EL
Lmccraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:49 AM   #8
Kristi

Congrats on your new tt! Hope you have as much fun with yours as we do ours! Getting ready for that first trip is so fun! I had a whole pile of stuff stacked in the spare bedroom waiting before we even picked our tt up. Camping in the driveway a couple nights before the maiden voyage helped narrow down what we needed & what we didn't. Have fun!

Kristi & Jeff
2014 Cougar 313 rli
2013 F350 king ranch
2014 passport 2650bh (sold)
2009 GMC 2500HD 6.6L 4X4 (sold)
Kristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:54 AM   #9
GaryWT

Congrats on the new trailer, it is so exciting. First thing to pack is paper and pen so you can write down all that you forgot..

Keeping it basic:

Clothing...include bathing suit and if packing in hot weather, don't forget a sweatshirt if it gets cold

Sleeping, what ever you need to sleep

Eating, whatever you are going to eat and cook, so food, pans, utincils, plates, spices etc

General needs, the hard one but what you need toilet paper, chemicals?, hoses, tools, bug spray etc to get set up and through the weekend.

Have fun
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:32 PM   #10
JandA

Great to see another happy 2650 owner - we just picked ours up last weekend and have it set up in the driveway getting ready for the first outing this weekend. Walmart was great for the essentials (about $250, coffee maker, toaster, sheets, silverware, Correlle dinnerware since its unbreakable, water hose, pressure reg., sewer hose, wheel chalks, etc...)
Definitely get your electronic brake controller squared away. I ended up wiring mine a block out of the dealer since I wasn't going to pay them $160 to install it! (I know, right?) Prodigy P2.
YouTube, as always, a great reference!
Anyway, we feel your excitement!
JandA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:40 PM   #11
curlyfungirl

Try to keep boxed foods in plastic totes that will fit in your cupboard when not traveling to deter little visitors. I keep all the cleaning products and items under the sinks in plastic wash tubs to keep the under-sink areas neat and tidy. Make sure your counters do not have scratches on them, especially if they are solid surface. We regret not checking. Ours are all covered with them and we cant do anything about it because we didn't notice it until we got our rig home.
Superlow Sportster
Heritage Softail Springer
2009-2012 VRI
curlyfungirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:00 PM   #12
Lmccraw

Quote:
Originally Posted by JandA View Post
Great to see another happy 2650 owner - we just picked ours up last weekend and have it set up in the driveway getting ready for the first outing this weekend. Walmart was great for the essentials (about $250, coffee maker, toaster, sheets, silverware, Correlle dinnerware since its unbreakable, water hose, pressure reg., sewer hose, wheel chalks, etc...)
Definitely get your electronic brake controller squared away. I ended up wiring mine a block out of the dealer since I wasn't going to pay them $160 to install it! (I know, right?) Prodigy P2.
YouTube, as always, a great reference!
Anyway, we feel your excitement!
The only thing I failed to mention is that whenever we used the microwave while the A/C was running, it tripped the breaker at the inside box. Add a hair dyer, and it tripped the entire system out at the power post. So not sure what will happen when you use the coffee pot and/or toaster...so give that a test drive.

2013 Passport 2650BH GT
Tow vehicle: 2012 Ford Expedition EL
Lmccraw is offline   Reply With Quote