Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Recalls
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2012, 02:49 PM   #1
geo

Exclamation Keystone Recalls Iota ITS-50R Transfer Switch!

Excuse me while I eat a few of my words from an earlier post .... Thank you.

It appears that the saga continues for the Iota IT'S-50R Transfer Switch. Looks like this puppy is DANGEROUS!!!

See: http://blog.goodsamclub.com/2012/01/samalertkeystone-2/

If you, like me, ordered the Generator-Prep package on any of several models of Keystone RVs in recent years, you will be receiving a mailed notice of recall. I will post when I receive mine so everyone might have an idea when it was sent.

The IOTA IT'S-50R is being recalled and replaced! (Jimzdat - No wonder why they didn't want the fried one back!).

If you have installed one of these Iota Transfer Switches yourself (not ordered from Keystone), I would suggest contacting Iota for a replacement.

In the meantime, be careful and watchful. Try to avoid heavy loads. Get this replaced before the Texas, etc., summer!

And if anyone knows how to reach Tammyb, better let her know!

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:30 AM   #2
geo

Yesterday I sent an email concerning this Transfer Switch Recall to Keystone. I received this information this morning:
++++++++++
Thank you for writing to Keystone RV. The recall on this transfer switches does show to be an item affecting your unit. This recall having just been issued has not yet been mailed out to owners of affected units. You may have this item addressed at your local Keystone dealer prior to receiving your mailing. Please call and schedule an appointment. If you or the dealer have any questions, please contact Keystone at: 866-425-4369 8am-5pm, Mon.-Thurs. and 8am-3pm Fri. all times EST. You may also email Keystone at: [email protected].
++++++++++

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
Old 02-13-2012, 04:16 PM   #3
Gary-Rita

Has anyone received a "SamAlert' message on this recall? I logged into Good Sam and checked for alerts on our Alpine, and it isn't even listed there, nor have I received an email.

Gary
2011 Alpine 3450RL
2008 F350 CC Dually
Gary-Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:36 PM   #4
jimzdat

I didn't get any alerts, mine was a case of the darn thing starting to melt down (see prior thread here)

I actually bypassed Keystone altogether and called the number listed on Iota's website - explained that I had an ITS50R that started to melt and asked if it would be covered under warrranty.
Tech asked how old trailer was (14 months from delivery), said it was covered under 2 yr warranty.
Said they would send me a new one, didn't even want the old one back - told me to pitch it.

2 days later, a brand new transfer switch showed up on my porch - drop shipped from this company: http://mastertech-inc.com/?s=lpt50brd

Much better quality unit, metal case vs plastic, better terminal strip, etc.
jimzdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:10 PM   #5
CarKath

Is this the same recall?

http://www.keystonerv.com/media2/pdf...%20-%20Web.pdf
Dog : Tucker
Cats: Beaudie and Jangles
CarKath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:41 AM   #6
geo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary-Rita View Post
Has anyone received a "SamAlert' message on this recall? I logged into Good Sam and checked for alerts on our Alpine, and it isn't even listed there, nor have I received an email.

Gary
2011 Alpine 3450RL
2008 F350 CC Dually
Gary,

The link on my original post is from Good Sam SmartAlerts. After reading that alert and posting it here, I contacted Keystone.

Actually, I decided to replace my Iota with a Surge Guard 40250-RVC. Unfortunately, I won't get credit for the recalled Iota, but I will get a transfer switch with surge protection on both inputs.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
Old 02-14-2012, 12:28 PM   #7
geo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarKath View Post
Carl -

No. This is a second recall on the same part! The recall you posted from Keystone is from December, 2010. That recall was to check that the connection lugs on the Iota ITS-50R were torqued to 45 inch-pounds. There's another thread out on the Forum that discussed this "torque".

This recall, as Jimzdat truly understands, is replacing the Iota completely. And if you check on the Iota Engineering site, you won't find any RV transfer switches! From all appearances, they have left the RV market to others.

On the recall (see link in first posting), it is mentioned that the Iota tends to "melt down" when placed under heavy loads. This is independent of whether the switch is changing between shore power and generator.

The key here is, when you purchased your Keystone RV, did you get the "generator prep" package? I would throw in with that, if you got an aftermarket generator prep installed or DIY, if an Iota ATS was installed, you might want to consider a different unit.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
Old 02-14-2012, 02:35 PM   #8
Gary-Rita

Geo, thanks for the reply. I received the notice from SamAlert on the first recall, but not the second. Ours is gen prep'd from the factory.

thanks again,
Gary
2008 F-350 XLT 6.4L Diesel
4x4, DRW, LB, CC
110 Gal. ATTB Aux. Tank
B&W w/ Companion Hitch
Gary-Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:34 PM   #9
geo

I received my recall notice on the Iota ITS-50R transfer switch today. Again, it appears that the failure of the ATS occurs when the ambient air temperature is high (like a Texas summer!) and there is a heavy load on the electrical (like two a/c units running). Spring seems like a great time to replace this unit before the summer!

If you got the recall last year for re-torquing the lug screws in the Iota ATS, you will probably get this recall:

Safety Recall: 11V-577
Safety Advisory: 11-170

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
Old 02-28-2012, 03:46 PM   #10
skyhi1

got my notice in the mail yesterday where is the transfer switch located on the raptor 300MP
skyhi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:57 AM   #11
geo

Maybe another Raptor owner can answer this question. I have no idea.

But just as a caution - and jumping to conclusions ... I would like to caution anyone and everyone from "messing" with the transfer switch unless you are absolutely certain you know for a fact what you are doing. Take it in for the recall to dealer and service department you trust.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
Old 03-06-2012, 04:49 PM   #12

On my Raptor 300MP the transfer switch is located in the front curbside storage compartment next to one of the batteries. The generator is housed in the front drivers side storage area. You can see rubberized conduit coming from generator to transfer switch.
37240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:48 AM   #13
Me.Bikes.Dogs

On my 2010 300MP it is located in the compartment just to the left of the generator. Attached to the back wall.
2004 Harley Screamin' Eagle Electra Glide (for fun), 1 dog (great company)

Me.Bikes.Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:39 AM   #14
gbsb

Has anyone had their recall done yet we are still waiting for the parts to come in. How long does it take for the dealer to get the parts from Keystone? It has been 3 weeks since we got our letter and dealer notified us of recall.
Living the dream fulltiming across America
gbsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:59 PM   #15
geo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbsb View Post
Has anyone had their recall done yet we are still waiting for the parts to come in. How long does it take for the dealer to get the parts from Keystone? It has been 3 weeks since we got our letter and dealer notified us of recall.
GBSB -

That is an excellent question. You might get on the Customer Service page of Keystone's website and let them know you are waiting for the replacement part. Probably Robyne will return your request. She is fairly prompt and very nice. Given that Jimzdat had an ESCO sent to replace his, I would guess this is the replacement part.

I have been very busy this week, so I haven't been able to post my mod on the Forum. Last Sunday, I replaced my Iota with a Surge Guard ATS 40250. It is pretty cool. It has a readout that you mount inside that gives a continuous monitoring of the voltage and current status of both hot leads. It has the surge guard in the ATS, so I get protection on both inputs. Haven't fully tested it yet, but I will. Have to finish up the installation this weekend.

What is interesting is that I notified Robyne that the Iota had been replaced. The Keystone Safety Manager requested that I pull the circuit board out of the Iota and return it to Keystone. This basically disables the ATS. I doubt if he asked for the board to "test" it. I did put a pinch of sawdust in the ED envelope from the inside of the Iota case!

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
Old 03-15-2012, 09:02 AM   #16
skyhi1

my dealer ordered the replacement switch on monday and it came in this morning picking it up this afternoon and will install it this weekend
Old 03-18-2012, 10:05 AM   #17
skyhi1

picked up the replacment switch friday and installed it saturday. the 6 ga wires dont fit in the terminals without some trimming of the wires and the box wont mount in the same place because of the different size. the terminals are pretty weak compared to the Iota switch. still not sure where im going to mount it not real happy with it. i might just buy an aftermacket after i call keystone.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:29 PM   #18
skyhi1

found one other problem with the new transfer switch, it doesnt work it wont transfer over to the generator i have power in from the generator and nothing out. keystone needs to step up and get a decent transfer switch
Old 03-18-2012, 04:03 PM   #19
jimzdat

If you got the same one I did, I wonder why the issues? I did mount mine just slightly differently to facilitate easier wiring, but that wasn't a big deal to me.
I also had no issue fitting the 6ga wiring into the terminals - considering the terminal was nearly 1/4 inch wide, how much did you have to trim off?

As far as the switching, if memory serves, it defaults to shore power if available - if shore power is on, it will never switch to the generator. On the flip side, if you are running on the gen, and introduce shore power, it will roll over to the shore line - after a time delay (30 seconds?). But it sounds like your issue may be a bit different - interesting to say the least.
jimzdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:00 PM   #20
skyhi1

cut the wire back they still did not want to fit and it does not switch over at all, shore power works fine i worked at a keystone dealer for two years and did all the repairs and recalls, this one didnt work