Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2019, 08:05 AM   #1
Hankster

Leak in slide

Found a small leak under the bench in the dinette slide, have put a little bit of sealant between the wall, and the metal trim on outside corner, It appears to be coming in fairly low below the window right on the corner.(upon closer inspection,I think it was coming in up higher) see next post....
Hankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 05:01 PM   #2
Hankster

Here's a pic of the inside, and an outside pic of where I'm pretty sure the water is getting in. The little metal strip with the screws in it. I removed the screws and gently pulled it away from the wall, and resealed it with Lexel. It had some staple holes under the strip, and what appeared to be a very tiny hole in the membrane we're it's gathered together near the end of the strip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190116_204859183.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	246.2 KB
ID:	19941   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190117_160810416_HDR.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	194.7 KB
ID:	19942  
Old 01-17-2019, 06:14 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

There are about 8 or 10 black screws in the black vertical strip that the slide cable attach point is secured to. One of those screws may be loose/not sealed. Also, along the bottom of the slide, there is a white (on my trailer anyway) J molding strip. It's about 1" wide and wraps around the side to the bottom of the slide. On a few trailers, members have reported that strip as leaking. Once the water gets inside, it won't "flow up" but it will "wick up" into the sidewall. you might want to pull that strip and see if there's any evidence of water intrusion behind it.

ADDED: It may also be leaking at the bottom of the window and flowing along the aluminum crossmember from there to the outer edge of the slide wall and then flowing down the inside of the corner. I've had three windows in the last two slides I've owned that leaked. Seems that Keystone uses putty rather than butyl for window seals. I replaced all of mine with butyl and no leaks since then.... Your leak may not be from a window, but worth checking.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:28 PM   #4
bobbecky

We had three different leaks, all from the slide end wall windows, and all were leaking from a very small gap between the window frame and the outside wall surface. Instead of just replacing the butyl or putty tape, which would have just eventually failed like the first time, I used black silicone caulk and ran a bead around the entire window frame after I removed the excess tape that spread out beyond the metal frame. We have not had any other leaks since doing this. The only thing I can see that causes this is high temperatures in the summer and then very cold temperatures in the winter that creates much expansion and contraction that creates the gap. This may not be the most approved method of repair, but for me, it has worked well.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 08:24 AM   #5
Hankster

I pulled the window, and used bronze colored sashco big stretch on it's flange. I also pulled the strip at the bottom of the short wall, and resealed it with Lexel clear. After watching a bunch of you tube videos, and other internet searching I think the water is coming in at the bottom of the wall, at the metal strip.
I put some foil tape on the bottom of the metal strip with it's bottom edge left unattached dangling in n mid air. My thinking is this will allow the water a low point to gather up and drip off rather than running back and wicking up the wall. It rained fairly steady since yesterday evening, and all seems well, now just need to find a more permanent solution. I saw that Forest River has what they call slide skis, and may look into getting and installing them on the corners of the slide.

Tags
leak, slide