Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2019, 10:39 AM   #21
mtofell

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
One problem with using a macerator at every dump is the loss of "volume and rapid flow" through the sewer hose. While the convenience of a macerator can't be easily beat, it does open the potential for solids to not be "picked up by the rapid flow" provided in a 3" sewer hose. You may find that flushing and filling the tank with the "benefit" of rapid evacuation does have merit.

I'm not criticizing your process, just commenting that using a macerator all the time doesn't keep the tank "fully evacuated".....
Yes, this is true. But I also found it to be a problem with the slinky. It may just be the design of my RV but I really have a hard time getting the solids out. I got a clear fitting and when dumping I leave the sink in my outdoor kitchen running (drains to black tank). I just dump, wait 5 minutes, dump, etc. until the water runs clean for a long time. I really hate how much water I have to use. The macerator is nice in that I just hang the button on the side of the RV and while packing up I just circle by every 5 minutes and run it.

I'm amazed at how long some of the solids will hang on. I've also used a soup pot to dump several gallons quickly into the toilet to dislodge things and found that works pretty well.

Whatever method people use, finding a way to screw around with all this at home (or at least not while people are waiting behind you at the dump station) is key. My main motivation for the macerator was to allow dumping at home. That is just amazing compared to being at the mercy of dump stations or sites with full hookups. During the winter my kids like to "camp out" in the driveway sometimes and being able to fully "use" the RV at home is a game changer.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 05:38 AM   #22
jimborokz

First thing I did was throw the dealers hose kit in the garbage as it was junk,(never even tried it). Bought a Rino kit with the 10' extension. Now we have a winter home base in the south at our daughters and had to run pipe about 200' down a grade to the septic tank. Elected to run 1.5" pipe and got a Valterra SS25 Sewer Solution. This set up works great for us. Us a clear pipe at the RV and run the black tank flush till it runs clear. When we go out on trips and stay at RV parks I use the rino to get a good rapid flush from the tank. I use the "Calgon and Dawn" Eco tank treatment and have never had any problems with tank sensors. The sewer solution system also allows me to dump at home if I need to so we get to use our private bathroom on the four day trip we make home in the spring.
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 05:42 AM   #23
jimborokz

Make that the SS01 system. The SS25 is the hose extension I use at home.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:48 AM   #24
CaptnJohn

I have the Rhino system and it has worked great for years. That is not my problem. My problem is I broke my back in 1968 which now causes problems with my legs. When I get home in the spring I may go to the Drain Master system to eliminate the bayonet system. The cam lock seems to be easier and more secure. I wish I could install the system permanently but would be too low without major plumbing mods.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:09 AM   #25
jimborokz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
I have the Rhino system and it has worked great for years. That is not my problem. My problem is I broke my back in 1968 which now causes problems with my legs. When I get home in the spring I may go to the Drain Master system to eliminate the bayonet system. The cam lock seems to be easier and more secure. I wish I could install the system permanently but would be too low without major plumbing mods.
My family ran a septic cleaning business for many years and I can testify the cam lock system is far superior to the bayonet.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:34 PM   #26
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimborokz View Post
My family ran a septic cleaning business for many years and I can testify the cam lock system is far superior to the bayonet.
Thank you for the reply. I think it will be easier to connect/disconnect as well. It is tough getting down and tougher getting up after reaching and twisting the bayonet connector. Everything else is easy today compared to decades ago so that job should be as well.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 10:25 AM   #27
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
We use the same as Canonman with the exception of a clear elbow vs semi clear. The semi makes you guess when water flow has completely stopped or is completely clear vs the completely clear elbow - no guessing.
Well, my semi-clear elbow was clear when I bought it...
Old 05-11-2019, 02:34 AM   #28
jimborokz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Thank you for the reply. I think it will be easier to connect/disconnect as well. It is tough getting down and tougher getting up after reaching and twisting the bayonet connector. Everything else is easy today compared to decades ago so that job should be as well.
John, I may change to the cam lock this year. Arthritis makes it very difficult to twist it on and off to the extent I had to buy a set of Camco wrenches and it's still a struggle.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:43 AM   #29
Preyou

Where can I get the map of the USA in your signature block. I have looked all over.

Thanks
Preyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:53 PM   #30
MiMartin

http://visitedstatesmap.com/
Old 05-13-2019, 02:26 AM   #31
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiMartin View Post
Then upload it from the forum webpage using the CP menu.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote