Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2016, 05:12 AM   #41
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
You got a boat? I bet Cape Fear has some reds and flounder!
When we drive down near the coast of NC or the Neuse River basin, Cape Fear River basin its funny to see boats in almost every driveway. Doesn't matter what kind of home they have there is the boat in the driveway. High-end houses to Mobile homes, they have a boat and its looks very as do the homes. Funny that when the wife & I are driving down that way we always say if we lived down here we would have a boat and a camper. Center console V-hull with a 150 or bigger motor, not that I would have looked at them or anything..
Glad to see you're headed our way.
enjoy our state...
Randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:18 AM   #42
BirchyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrdr1 View Post
When we drive down near the coast of NC or the Neuse River basin, Cape Fear River basin its funny to see boats in almost every driveway. Doesn't matter what kind of home they have there is the boat in the driveway. High-end houses to Mobile homes, they have a boat and its looks very as do the homes. Funny that when the wife & I are driving down that way we always say if we lived down here we would have a boat and a camper. Center console V-hull with a 150 or bigger motor, not that I would have looked at them or anything..
Glad to see you're headed our way.
enjoy our state...
Randy
Thanks!

I want a center console, the wife wants a bow rider. We both want a big motor on the back. One of our best vacations was in Ft Meyers, Fl. House on a canal and a 26' bow rider on the dock. That 454 went through $200 in gas every day with trips around the islands, etc.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 05:21 PM   #43
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
Not yet, maybe next year. We need to settle in and the wife has to go back into the workforce, first.
You the MAN! Wife going to work to buy you a boat. Will she clean fish when she gets home from her job? Well, she should wake up from your couch nap first, so you can supervise.
NauticStar 21 foot ShallowBay with Yamaha 150 been workin good for me.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 10:20 AM   #44
BirchyBoy

Re: Considering a move to NC

So, things have changed quite a bit. My wife has regretted moving away from her family and wants to go back to Denver. I was also told last week that I'm being laid off on 12/15/16. I was planning on finding a new job in June 2017, so the company has helped me along with the process. I got a call from my primary client and they're flying me to their offices for an interview next week. If all goes well, I'll take 4-6 weeks off between jobs and then will start up again at a new company.

We are considering selling our NC place and going back to Denver. If we do, it will be to live with her mom who's 93 and lives by herself. We're also considering selling my truck and our travel trailer and going with a class A camper. We had a hard time deciding on a new TT or class A, and I've been regretting our decision. I love our TT, but I'm growing tired of the whole hitching/unhitching and setting up and tearing down process. It isn't hard by any means, but it is getting less fun every time we go.

So, long story short, we may be making some changes again way ahead of my "planned" schedule. I love NC and it will be hard for me to put our house on the market and leave the area. If we do move from here, I'll likely be flying from Denver to Atlanta for a week every month, and my wife will be able to spend time with her mom and be an in-home care provider when the time is right.
RIP Birch (pitbull)
Old 11-28-2016, 03:19 PM   #45
JRTJH
Site Team

Life has a funny way of putting us where we need to be, sometimes not exactly where we want to be. Good luck on the new job, hopefully the interview will go well and things will fall into place for you.

As for the switch from a trailer/TV to a motorhome, if hitching/unhitching is your "issue" remember that you'll either have to "tow a toad" or walk everywhere/drive the motorhome (which means breaking camp, unlevelling, stowing stuff and possibly not having your site when you return.

I found that it's much easier to hitch/unhitch a travel trailer than to drive a toad up onto a dolly or onto a second trailer and tie it down. There are some good reasons for going the motorhome route, but consider how you camp, travel and whether you'll want a second vehicle so you don't have to drive the MH everywhere. If you do feel the need for a toad, you'll be hitching/unhitching just as often as you do with a travel trailer.

Here's hoping things work out the way you want !!! Good Luck

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 05:32 PM   #46
BirchyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Life has a funny way of putting us where we need to be, sometimes not exactly where we want to be. Good luck on the new job, hopefully the interview will go well and things will fall into place for you.

As for the switch from a trailer/TV to a motorhome, if hitching/unhitching is your "issue" remember that you'll either have to "tow a toad" or walk everywhere/drive the motorhome (which means breaking camp, unlevelling, stowing stuff and possibly not having your site when you return.

I found that it's much easier to hitch/unhitch a travel trailer than to drive a toad up onto a dolly or onto a second trailer and tie it down. There are some good reasons for going the motorhome route, but consider how you camp, travel and whether you'll want a second vehicle so you don't have to drive the MH everywhere. If you do feel the need for a toad, you'll be hitching/unhitching just as often as you do with a travel trailer.

Here's hoping things work out the way you want !!! Good Luck
All good points. We'd be flat towing, so a tow bar and no trailer. Most of our trips are one or two nights without any supply runs once we"re there. Also, the wife wants the ability for her and our dogs to be able to move around during some while driving on longer trips. I don't love that idea, but I'm not the boss, just the breadwinner.
RIP Birch (pitbull)
Old 11-28-2016, 06:37 PM   #47
Tbos

Wherever life ends up taking you, please keep in touch. We are considering a move to a Class A when we retire. If you do, we'd like to hear your thoughts and ideas about the move after you make it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 06:42 PM   #48
CaptnJohn

Sorry to hear you may be leaving NC. Going back to cold and snow is not in my DNA. I too got tired of the TT tagging along. Bought a new Class A and toad. For us it was the biggest mistake ever. Hated towing a toad and dislike driving anything small even around town. Started traveling less and less and sold both at a loss in less than 2 years. Found we disliked hotels even more. Bought a 35' 5er and F350 diesel, should have done that 20 years ago. Easy to tow, no sway, easy to hitch/unhitch (faster smoother than the toad too), less expensive in every way compared to the A and slightly more than the TT. I'm 68 so easy is nice. According to the RV tv program more full timers are in 5ers than anything else ~~ surprised me when I heard it but certainly understand it.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 06:49 PM   #49
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
Wherever life ends up taking you, please keep in touch. We are considering a move to a Class A when we retire. If you do, we'd like to hear your thoughts and ideas about the move after you make it.

Before you buy an A, rent one for a couple months. While renting check out some 5ers before you buy the A. Just expressing my experience.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 07:00 PM   #50
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Sorry to hear you may be leaving NC. Going back to cold and snow is not in my DNA. I too got tired of the TT tagging along. Bought a new Class A and toad. For us it was the biggest mistake ever. Hated towing a toad and dislike driving anything small even around town. Started traveling less and less and sold both at a loss in less than 2 years. Found we disliked hotels even more. Bought a 35' 5er and F350 diesel, should have done that 20 years ago. Easy to tow, no sway, easy to hitch/unhitch (faster smoother than the toad too), less expensive in every way compared to the A and slightly more than the TT. I'm 68 so easy is nice. According to the RV tv program more full timers are in 5ers than anything else ~~ surprised me when I heard it but certainly understand it.

John, What RV tv program are you referring to? Thanks.

Old 11-28-2016, 07:10 PM   #51
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Before you buy an A, rent one for a couple months. While renting check out some 5ers before you buy the A. Just expressing my experience.

We've been looking at 5ers and class As. Have a list of both that we like. Several of my local friends have moved to class As and love them. My Dad went from a pop up to 2 class Cs and then 2 Class As. The last was a 36' diesel pusher. He recommended I find some to let me drive one for a while and then rent for a while too. Haven't made a decision yet. I retire the 2nd time in a few years and we hope to full time the last year we work. So we still have time. Of course if we made the decision sooner we could be paying off some of a 1ton truck while we still are working. It's a tough decision. Thanks for the advice, I do appreciate it.

Old 11-29-2016, 04:05 AM   #52
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Good luck with the life changes coming your way. Kill your interview and get where you need to be.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2015 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ
WELL....THAT WAS FUN!

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote