Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2018, 01:07 PM   #1
Harleydodge

Let's see your TH garage storage solutions

Just curious what folks have done as far as mods to the Garage area of their Toy Haulers.
Ours only has a 10' garage and also has the older style wrap-around dinette rather than the opposed sofas in the newer models.

I was thinking about adding some removable plywood boards that somehow attach to the bed-table elevator rails to use to attach various "stuff" to while on the road/on-route to destinations.
We will be hauling the '08 Dresser in my sig to most places we visit, and it takes up most of the middle space, but still lots of room on either side.

Anyone else done anything similar?

I saw a guy with the same Raptor as mine last year that had a fold-flat picnic table attached to the wall back there which I thought was pretty ingenious and got me to thinking about other options.

2013 Raptor 310ts Toy Hauler
2017 Dodge Ram 6.7l CTD DRW Laramie Longhorn
2008 FLHTC Harley.

Harleydodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 06:40 AM   #2
Nailz

Great idea for a topic! Following to get ideas...

2018 FR XLR Nitro 35VL5
2013 Ford F250 SRW 4x4 6.7L, Air Lift 5K Ultimate, B&W Turnoverball Gooseneck Hitch, Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th Wheel Connection
2008 Honda Goldwing
Veteran
Nailz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 11:04 AM   #3
MattE303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleydodge View Post
Just curious what folks have done as far as mods to the Garage area of their Toy Haulers.
Ours only has a 10' garage and also has the older style wrap-around dinette rather than the opposed sofas in the newer models.

I was thinking about adding some removable plywood boards that somehow attach to the bed-table elevator rails to use to attach various "stuff" to while on the road/on-route to destinations.
I did exactly that in our Carbon. There's a pic of our garage in the Carbon Owners group where you can sorta see it. My toolbox roller cart bolts to it, and i have a paper towel holder and hooks for a few other things. I don't remove it when we're camped, but it's designed so that I could. I wish I'd gone all the way up to the bottom of the window, but other than that it works well. I'll take some better pictures with the toolbox removed and post them tonight.

2002 Ford F350 7.3 Super Duty XLT 4x4 CC LB SRW -- Pullrite Super 5th 16K
2017 Keystone Carbon 337
2022 Honda CRF-450R
MattE303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 05:05 PM   #4
wifi_guy

Here is what we did for storing stuff for the kids. The cargo mesh I got off amazon to keep the baskets in place going down the road.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	042ABA02-A7D5-457B-BF38-2293C3A32B2A.jpg
Views:	582
Size:	246.1 KB
ID:	17182  
wifi_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 04:01 AM   #5
Harleydodge

Nice! Keep em coming!

2008 FLHTC Harley.

Old 06-26-2018, 08:19 AM   #6
MattE303

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattE303 View Post
I did exactly that in our Carbon. There's a pic of our garage in the Carbon Owners group where you can sorta see it. My toolbox roller cart bolts to it, and i have a paper towel holder and hooks for a few other things. I don't remove it when we're camped, but it's designed so that I could. I wish I'd gone all the way up to the bottom of the window, but other than that it works well. I'll take some better pictures with the toolbox removed and post them tonight.
Here's pics of the board with everything out of the way. At some point, I'll redo it and go all the way up to the bottom of the window. I also plan on painting them gloss black to match the TH color scheme. I'm still kind of at the "proof of concept" stage.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180625_221108.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	222.1 KB
ID:	17183   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180625_221051.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	239.9 KB
ID:	17184  

2002 Ford F350 7.3 Super Duty XLT 4x4 CC LB SRW -- Pullrite Super 5th 16K
2017 Keystone Carbon 337
2022 Honda CRF-450R
MattE303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:56 AM   #7
Harleydodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattE303 View Post
Here's pics of the board with everything out of the way. At some point, I'll redo it and go all the way up to the bottom of the window. I also plan on painting them gloss black to match the TH color scheme. I'm still kind of at the "proof of concept" stage.

Right On! That's exactly what I had in mind as well.
My thoughts are to store the boards under the top bunk mattress when not being utilized, so I am going to try and engineer them to be as flat as possible, and incorporate a bunch of holes to hook bungee cords into and such.

2008 FLHTC Harley.

Old 06-28-2018, 05:50 PM   #8
haulinit

Our garage is going to be used as a sewing room of sorts. My wife does embroidery making biker patches and such. She wants to put her machines in the garage and travel to events selling her patches. She also wants to remove the lower couch so there's room to work.
haulinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 01:20 PM   #9
smgreen1976

Well, not necessarily a storage solution, but an office solution. I'm a full-timer and use the garage as my office when I'm not traveling.

I don't use the HappiJak couches, so I pulled them out. I re-used the brackets and mounted a desk top from Ikea. It just so happened to be the exact dimensions of the bottom of the couch, so it worked perfectly. As a bonus, I now have a standing desk anytime I need it.

I kept the bed in place and the brackets on the other side of the garage, just in a folded position, in case I want to use them at some point.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180603_182753.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	17343   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180603_182637.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	17344  
smgreen1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 01:23 PM   #10
wifi_guy

Wow, that’s a really cool idea!
wifi_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 02:42 PM   #11
xrated

Not sure if it will help anyone or give you some ideas, but here are a couple of my garage area mods. My mods are mostly based around carrying two motorcycles, so check it out if you are interested.....

This first one shows how I added a piece of 3/4" plywood to the floor of the garage area and integrated the existing tie down point for helping to secure the wood. The bolts that hold down the Baxley wheel chocks were put up from the bottom of the plywood and recessed into it (Carriage bolts) to make them function as a stud sticking up. The Baxleys sit on top of them, then I run a nut down to secure them. If I need them out of the trailer, unscrew the nuts, lift them out and it takes about a minute. This mod allowed me to put the Baxley Wheel chocks in the trailer, make the secure, AND, not drill through the floor of the trailer. When I moved the existing tie down point trim plates on top of the plywood, I of course had to use longer wood screws to put the cover trim back on. The plywood is painted with some gray paint and there is 3/4" aluminum angle around the edges to keep everything tidy. You can also see in the background the bottom half of a roll-a-round tool chest. That too is anchored to an existing tie down point in the floor using a "J" hook and through the bottom of the tool box.

This one show the wheel chocks removed and it being used to store the dog crate. Up above the tool box area I've added a clothes rod across the bottom of the overhead storage cabinet. There is also one of the length of the Gladiator Gear Track with some assorted hooks/basket/storage trays. In the bottom left, you see a box that I built for my Big Red propane campfire ring...along with a 20 lb tank. ....

This pic is of my wooden box storage for the 4 paint buckets full of concrete with "E" bolts in the top of them. These are used as weights to help hold down the popup canopy when it gets a bit windy.

Closer shot of the front...

And a random shot of the storage slide out that I built and installed in the forward storage area of the trailer....
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 03:05 PM   #12
66joej

Good job! Nice neat looking garage.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 04:19 PM   #13
Harleydodge

Very Nice!! Some Great ideas there for sure. Thanks for sharing!

Quick question...I noticed your coiled up air line. What compressor do you take with you, if any?

I Plan to take a small one with me this fall to use for blowing out my wet lines for storage.

2008 FLHTC Harley.

Old 07-06-2018, 04:38 PM   #14
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
Good job! Nice neat looking garage.
Thanks, it's a work still in progress.

Old 07-06-2018, 04:40 PM   #15
xrated

Quote:
Very Nice!! Some Great ideas there for sure. Thanks for sharing!

Quick question...I noticed your coiled up air line. What compressor do you take with you, if any?

I Plan to take a small one with me this fall to use for blowing out my wet lines for storage.
I've got a DeWalt 6 gallon pancake.....120VAC. I've also got a Viar 12V in the truck and I'm going to do some piping changes and make it where I can tie into the air line that feeds the air horns and be able to air truck tires up if needed, when I'm not towing the camper.

Old 07-06-2018, 05:00 PM   #16
Harleydodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
I've got a DeWalt 6 gallon pancake.....120VAC. I've also got a Viar 12V in the truck and I'm going to do some piping changes and make it where I can tie into the air line that feeds the air horns and be able to air truck tires up if needed, when I'm not towing the camper.

Nice!

I really need to do that air-horn mod to my truck as well. So many possibilities

2008 FLHTC Harley.

Old 07-06-2018, 05:16 PM   #17
xrated

Quote:
Nice!

I really need to do that air-horn mod to my truck as well. So many possibilities
Thank you.......I do love the air horns, although I really don't use them much. Every once in a while, when I'm away from traffic, houses, ect......I like to give it toot!

Old 07-07-2018, 06:34 PM   #18
Big Boy w/ Big Toys

I went with boxes in the floor at the back of the garage....fit them between the floor joists and the frame rails....will have to get a picture from other computer.

Made the front box deep enough to hold a antifreeze bottle standing up. The rear box on the dove tail holds all my tools and other nonsense extras.
Big Boy w/ Big Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 06:55 AM   #19
SLIMSHADIE

Xrated nice job. Just clarifying the motorcycle stand. The plywood is held down using the existing tie downs with longer bolts. The stands are bolted thru with carriage bolts thru the plywood upside down. So the when removing the stands the bolts are still there sticking up?
Old 07-08-2018, 09:30 AM   #20
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMSHADIE View Post
Xrated nice job. Just clarifying the motorcycle stand. The plywood is held down using the existing tie downs with longer bolts. The stands are bolted thru with carriage bolts thru the plywood upside down. So the when removing the stands the bolts are still there sticking up?
They are, but what I did is cut a couple of pieces of 2x4 about two or three inches longer on both ends, drill holes in them and place them over the studs sticking up. Not the perfect solution, but at least you won't tear your toes off if barefoot. Probably a better solution might have been to put a couple of those metal inserts in from the bottom of the plywood, that have machine threads, and then screw in a bolt into it.

Tags
storage