Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2018, 09:23 AM   #1
Carlo72

Propane alarm goes off when I turn on my AC

Hello everyone. Last night our Propane alarm kept going off everytime we turned on the AC. The alarm would sound for a couple of minutes then it would turn off. Before going to bed I turned off the propane on the main tanks in the front of the RV but I was afraid to turn the AC back on. In the morning I left the propane off and turned the AC on to see if it would sound off the alarm. All seems to work okay so far. The alarm hasn’t gone off yet but I haven’t turned on the propane yet.
Can anyone tell me why this happened? I want to be able to keep both the propane and AC on without the propane alarm going off. Thank you!
I have a Keystone Cougar light 33RBI
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C8DB011C-A041-47C0-A03E-51A54E86C5D3.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	267.3 KB
ID:	17342  
Carlo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 10:04 AM   #2
travelin texans

Check your rv batteries! The LP/CO sensor is hardwired to the rv 12 volt system & will alarm if batteries are low. Why it happens with the AC is a mystery as far as I know they have nothing 12 volt in common except the thermostat.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 10:05 AM   #3
DVPete

We call it a "propane" detector but it will actually detect any flammable/explosive gas (butane-propellant for spray cans, hydrogen-charging battery, methane-cows/dogs/old men, even gasses from new carpet and glues can set it off) so it may not be propane that is setting it off. It could have simply been some other gas sitting stagnant in the AC ducting that was stirred up when the AC was turned on. There is no propane directly associated with the AC system or ducting.
DVPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 10:07 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Your profile doesn't include the year of your RV. Most LPG detectors have a limited lifespan of 5-7 years. After that, the detector isn't reliable and may not work properly and/or may "false alarm" when there is no propane near the detector. Additionally, the coating on the detector can be contaminated and rendered inoperable if exposed to some cleaning chemicals, natural gasses (think flatulence), dirt or other substances.

You might, depending on the age of your RV, be in need of a replacement LPG detector.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 10:40 AM   #5
Carlo72

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Your profile doesn't include the year of your RV. Most LPG detectors have a limited lifespan of 5-7 years. After that, the detector isn't reliable and may not work properly and/or may "false alarm" when there is no propane near the detector. Additionally, the coating on the detector can be contaminated and rendered inoperable if exposed to some cleaning chemicals, natural gasses (think flatulence), dirt or other substances.

You might, depending on the age of your RV, be in need of a replacement LPG detector.
Thank you JR. It’s a 2016. I’ll add that to my profile.
Carlo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 12:09 PM   #6
SC Dreamer

Unless you actually do have a small propane leak somewhere and the a.c. moving air flow got it to the sensor. Leak test may be the safest thing to do.
SC Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 01:26 PM   #7
GHen

Sounds like the batteries were low and when the AC kicked on the converter stopped charging long enough for to the voltage to drop again.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 02:14 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Have you smelled propane anywhere at any time? LP sinks and the AC could be picking it up and setting off the detector. I would think you could smell it but..... The 2nd year we had this trailer I kept smelling a faint odor of LP but could not pinpoint the problem, and did not smell it in the trailer unless igniting the stove, but it was there. Had a leak test performed and the regulator had a small leak so it was replaced.....right under/next to us in the bedroom....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane