Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2018, 08:15 AM   #21
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
The EMS will monitor every electrical situation that could happen, high/low voltage to surges, the Surge Guard is exactly that a surge protector.
The Surge Guard will be cheaper than the EMS, but having either one is definitely recommended.
I like my PI units, however here are details on the Surge Guard.

Surge Guard* 50A – Model 40240
Full Protection Hardwire
Rated 120/240V, 50A, 3350 Joules
Total Electrical Protection from Faulty Park Power

Multi-mode surge suppression
Automatic reset on power restoration
128 second reset delay protects A/C compressor
Remote power monitor LCD display (English)
Joystick for easy screen navigation
Displays voltage and amp draw (RMS)

Protects against:

Power surges
Open ground
Open neutral
Low (<102V) and high (>132V) voltage
Reverse polarity
Miswired pedestal
High and low frequency
Old 09-11-2018, 08:19 AM   #22
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5J's View Post
I'm not trying to Hijack this thread but, funny this topic comes up. I'm currently looking at the PI EMS-HW50C and the Surge Guard 40240. So far I've decided on the Surge Guard simply because the way the display readout is text rather than error codes and the way the display mounts. Does anyone have any advice one way or the other? Also if anyone has any pics of the mounted display and and interface connections that would be great.
The units you are comparing are virtually the same thing:
https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-I...dustries+hw50c

http://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems-hw50c

Surge Guard: https://www.amazon.com/Technology-Re...et_feature_div

https://rvpower.southwire.com/wp-con...ochure-v18.pdf

Looks like the PI may be cheaper on Amazon. Now that they both have lifetime warranties it's just about a toss up. I really like the display and readout on my 50A portable. Don't get just a surge protector; you want a unit that does all of the things these units do to actually protect yourself and your trailer.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:27 AM   #23
Old Mustanger

Quote:
The EMS will monitor every electrical situation that could happen, high/low voltage to surges, the Surge Guard is exactly that a surge protector.
The Surge Guard will be cheaper than the EMS, but having either one is definitely recommended.
A fine example of why everything you read on the internet may not be true
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:50 AM   #24
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mustanger View Post
A fine example of why everything you read on the internet may not be true
I'm sorry to give you incorrect internet info! But we can't ALL be perfect!!!
When I purchased mine the Surge Guard was exactly what I said, for surge ONLY!
In the future if you need internet information, contact. Old Mustanger!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:02 AM   #25
Old Mustanger

Quote:
Just messing with you a little, not trying to start one of those post wars we see now and then on here. No offense meant.

Surge Guard does make a cheaper unit that provides surge protection only but the top of the line units provide total protection.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:32 AM   #26
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

I think the above statement is why some new folks are confused when trying to buy a "surge protector". Unless they have some knowledge of what it is they're looking for, or experience with them, a surge protector is just that so they look for a "surge protector" at the cheapest price. In instances like this I think is where a forum such as this can not only help educate folks but also hopefully save them some money and give some peace of mind.

These comments are not directed at travelin Texan. I highlighted the comment because it illustrates the differences between a "surge guard" and the EMS systems. Travelin Texan made an honest mistake....and we've all been there - we all are just trying to share knowledge and help each other.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 02:16 PM   #27
XTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I'd suggest the Progressive portable. http://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems-pt-x Be cautious about buying a "surge protector" that doesn't monitor anything but lightening strikes.... You need an electrical systems monitor, not a surge protector. Plan about $250-300 depending on where you buy.
I completely agree with this recommendation; we have the 30 amp model. It will reset itself after shutting down, when it detects safe levels again. Some protectors will shut down when there's a problem, but they don't reset themselves. I think this one is worth every penny!

If you get this one, don't panic when your camper doesn't immediately power up once you power it on. It runs a diagnostic test before allowing power to the camper - takes just a few minutes. Also, be sure to follow the directions regarding the order of hooking it up, printed on the protector.
XTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 11:57 AM   #28
sarahm

what is the difference between Progressive EMS-PT50C, EMS-PT50X, and Camco 55306 50 AMP.
sarahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 02:14 PM   #29
Snoking

The EMS-PT50C is no longer listed on the PI web page. It is more like the hard wired version in a portable package. the PT50X seems to be a replacement with a cover for the outlet. The portable units are not UL certified.

Chris

http://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/439d5a...82571d75b9.pdf
Old 09-12-2018, 02:55 PM   #30
Laredo Tugger

I just took delivery of the Hughes Autoformer RV 220-50-SP for my surge protection. Yes the unit was pricey,but for the investment I have in my 5er it is worth it (to me anyway).
This unit analyzes the shore power outlet before connecting and adds a boost of voltage when demand is at peak in the CG,keeping a constant power flow to all appliance motors. And provides surge protection as well.
I'm getting ready for a month log trip and have not used this system yet so I can not really say what I like or dislike about it. For this trip I will not have the unit installed (hardwired) inside the camper,but will have it locked to the shore power pole.
Taking applications for an armed security guard to make sure it does not grow legs.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 03:07 PM   #31
5J's

Thanks for the help guys.

2017 Hideout 308BHDS

2006 F-350 6.0L PSD CC 4X4
5J's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 03:16 PM   #32
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
I just took delivery of the Hughes Autoformer RV 220-50-SP for my surge protection. Yes the unit was pricey,but for the investment I have in my 5er it is worth it (to me anyway).
This unit analyzes the shore power outlet before connecting and adds a boost of voltage when demand is at peak in the CG,keeping a constant power flow to all appliance motors. And provides surge protection as well.
I'm getting ready for a month log trip and have not used this system yet so I can not really say what I like or dislike about it. For this trip I will not have the unit installed (hardwired) inside the camper,but will have it locked to the shore power pole.
Taking applications for an armed security guard to make sure it does not grow legs.
RMc
Some parks ban the use of them. As to keep the voltage up, they draw more amps from the source. NO free lunch! Chris
Old 09-12-2018, 03:54 PM   #33
Laredo Tugger

"Some parks ban the use of them. As to keep the voltage up, they draw more amps from the source. NO free lunch! Chris"

What??
Guess I'll just fire up the noisy generator and let them decide.
RMc
Old 09-12-2018, 06:42 PM   #34
Laredo Tugger

If the unit makes my trailer more power efficient,what's the problem?

Also if it is mounted inside the trailer (which I can do) how would they know?

Not trying to be a power hog. If the unit is causing problems in the CG I do not have to use it.

RMc
Old 09-12-2018, 07:03 PM   #35
Gegrad

I have the Progressive portable unit that analyzes the circuit for proper polarity and voltage when you plug it in, letting you know via lights the circuit has the correct voltage before you plug your trailer in. I have been very happy with mine (from Amazon; I don't have the link handy).
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 07:52 PM   #36
TheGriz

Another vote for Progressive Industries...internal or external...30A or 50A. They make a high quality product, and stand behind it with a lifetime warranty. I have the 50A internal with remote readout...very satisfied.

Shop around...easily a $100 price variance among all the vendors. I got mine from Tweety's RV...currently $299.80 shipped to your door https://tweetys.com/electrical-manag...rdwire-50.aspx

Mike

2018 Laredo 288RL Travel Trailer
2017 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab LTZ, Z-71, 6.6L Diesel
2017 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (traded)
2011 Silverado Crew Cab, 4wd Z-71, 5.3L (traded)
K9 Handler of my SAR partner and best friend Jeter!
TheGriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:12 PM   #37
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
RMc
From the ones I've looked at they'll have to grow VERY stout legs & they sure as hell won't be running, those things are VERY heavy.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 01:53 AM   #38
DocP

Quote:
From the ones I've looked at they'll have to grow VERY stout legs & they sure as hell won't be running, those things are VERY heavy.
I have the Hughes Autoformer RV220-50-SP as well. You're right - it is heavy (35 pounds). I have a coated heavy-duty cable that goes through the handle on the unit and around the camper axle with a padlock. I also have a plastic storage container to store it when not in use, and then put the container over the unit to protect it from the elements. Works out well, and worth every penny - in my opinion. Peace of mind comes at a price.
DocP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 06:14 AM   #39
Laredo Tugger

My Autoformer came with a small cable lock. I will back that up with a chain and fashion some type of cover. Yes the weight of the thing would make it difficult to jog off with,but they only need to carry it to their vehicle and then be gone, I guess. There I go thinking like a criminal again but that is what you have to do to outsmart them.
As for being forbid in some CGs, so far my research shows no major issues. Several folks state they have been using them for years with no problems. The technical explanations seem to point out that the unit does not use any extra power than the pole has to offer. It is designed that way. Parks that do not allow them are probably covering up the fact they have a weak grid and have something else they can blame it on.
RMc
Old 09-13-2018, 08:35 AM   #40
sarahm

thanks for your help guys.
sarahm is offline   Reply With Quote