Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2018, 10:19 AM   #1
TN Traveler

Refrigerator Condensation Drain

Just registered on the forum and this is my first post with the first of many questions !

In doing a walk around inspection I removed the outer vent cover behind the refrigerator. I noted the white, plastic drain tube with a paper note affixed. The note indicated that this was a drain tube and warned to ensure it drained outside through the vent cover.

The plastic tube had dry rotted and just broke off in my hand.
Obviously I need to replace it but cannot access the top where it connects to my refrigerator.

My question: Is the refrigerator attached such that something has to be disconnected in order to push the refrigerator from outside or pull from inside to be able to move it?

I'll try and post a few photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1824.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	269.7 KB
ID:	18643   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1862.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	18644  
B&W Companion

TN Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 10:32 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Welcome to the forum. To answer your question, yes that drain tube is "prone to cracking with age". I see your trailer is a 2010 model, so you've been living on borrowed time for a while. The tube connects to the back of the drain pan that sits inside your refrigerator, just under the condensation/cooling fins at the top, rear of the refrigerator compartment. You can buy a replacement hose at any RV parts store or you can replace it with a more durable clear vinyl hose from Lowe's or HD's plumbing section.

It does take a "Houdini type movement" to get the replacement hose on the fitting. It's possible, but difficult to do. You might consider a flashlight and a mirror to better plan your approach. Sometimes you can see a way around an obstacle that way. Also, if you have someone with smaller arms and hands, maybe they can give it a try. I'd suggest not trying it with the refrigerator in operation because the heat chimney sits directly behind the place you're going to be "Houdini-ing" .... It's easy to burn yourself if you're not careful.

Alternatively, if you simply can't get the replacement hose installed, then you'll need to pull the refrigerator forward to access the area. I didn't look at your trailer floorplan, if your refrigerator is in a slide, you also have a vent at the top of the refrigerator space. Possibly you can remove that vent and get a different approach ??? I throw that out as a last resort to look at before pulling the refrigerator.

I wouldn't recommend operating your refrigerator without the drain in place. There is enough water flow through that tube to damage the floor in the back of the refrigerator if you allow it to stand for any length of time.

Good Luck !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 11:45 AM   #3
FlyingAroundRV

If you have a good look up where the tube goes and see if it is OK into the back of the fridge, here's an easier solution.
Buy a length of plastic hose that will fit over the stub of the drain hose and extend what's still there to be long enough to carry the water out of the trailer. Allow enough length to make a sort of S bend (like under the sink) in the hose. This will discourage wasps from going further up the hose.
Alternatively, you can use a short length of that larger sized plastic hose to join a new length of the proper drain hose.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 12:16 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Often times it’s faster to just pull the fridge out far enough to get your hands in there. Sometimes that tube is zip tied to the cooling unit so your forced to do it that way.

There will be two screws through the top frame on the inside, you may have to pop the “eye brow” off. There will be two screws through bottom frame on the inside. There will also be at least two screws on the outside at the bottom.

You may have to disconnect the propane and power to move the fridge enough. It will pull out from the inside, and only go far enough to get your hands in there.

Takes us anoint an hour, so I would figure a couple for the DIYer.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 02:35 PM   #5
TN Traveler

I appreciate your responses.
Fortunately I was able to access the entire length of drain tubing by removing the panel (from the exterior) where my refrigerator plugs in. Didn't have to access anything from inside the FW.

The old tubing was dry rotted completely and yes, the end was zip tied.

A quick trip to Home Depot to pick up some 1/2" ID clear tubing, a few minutes work, and now the water will vent to the outside as required.

I did trim the end of the tubing as to not protrude so much.

Can anyone tell me why my photos show up as rotated to the left?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1876.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	18645   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1872.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	176.4 KB
ID:	18646   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1874.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	232.5 KB
ID:	18647   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1877.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	18648  
B&W Companion

Old 09-24-2018, 02:53 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

You might want to look at the old hose. There should be a cap (plug) that inserts into the end of the hose. In that plug there are 3 very small holes. The plug has two functions. First, it prevents insects from crawling up the hose and into your refrigerator. Second, it helps insulate the hose so there is less "cold loss" through the small opening. Even though it's only a 1/2" hose, heat and humidity can travel up the hose. The plug helps slow down the heat transfer.

Once you have ants crawling up the inside of the hose and into the refrigerator, you'll appreciate just how important that little plug can be LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 03:19 PM   #7
TN Traveler

John - where can I get a cap? I surely don’t have the brittle ends that broke off after taking the garbage off today!
B&W Companion

Old 09-24-2018, 04:30 PM   #8
DocP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Traveler View Post
John - where can I get a cap? I surely don’t have the brittle ends that broke off after taking the garbage off today!
Try this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004M...op_mb_pd_title
DocP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 05:34 PM   #9
TN Traveler

You guys are awesome. I’ll have one in a few days
B&W Companion

Tags
drain