Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2022, 05:04 PM   #1
German Shepherd Guy

Just want to vent- new vehicle.

Ordered since January. A new SUV. Given a proposal in writing, put $500 down. Get a call two days ago, It's in Colorado! Only need to get it delivered to the west slope/Grand Junction. Yea!! Wait, there's a problem.!!???
"We quoted you the "wrong price"". It's more. Imagine that! "We made a mistake but it's your problem." You need to come up with $1,500 more. We can sell it easily for 5 to $7,000 more so come up with it or take your $500 back. Took my $500 back. I am too old apparently. I was raised to keep my word and a deal was a deal. You would not believe my interaction with the General Manager. Glad I was 200 miles away and our interaction was over the phone. See John Wayne movie "The Shootist" that is exactly how I try to be.

I know it's not RV related. Thanks guys I just wanted to tell someone and you guys are as close to vehicle guys that I know. Plus I think you will understand my angst
Oak

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 05:20 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I don’t blame you one bit!! I would have done the same thing, but would keep an eye on it and if it didn’t sell in a week, I would cry foul and threaten a complaint to BBB. Keep all your correspondence.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 05:31 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Sometmes it's a "good thing" that there's an entire mountain range between the west slope and those "fools in the flatlands"... When we lived in Denver, a Chevrolet dealership was in the "big round building next to I-25" north of Federal Heights. There were a number of times when they were "at the tipping point" of being placed on the military off limits list for pulling "stunts" just like what you got. Looks like some of the "shenanigans" they played back then are still being used....

Consider yourself lucky that the mountains are where they are....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 05:46 PM   #4
German Shepherd Guy

Oak

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR

Old 04-06-2022, 05:56 PM   #5
jasin1

I always think of this commercial when someone pisses me off over the phone from another state
Old 04-06-2022, 06:29 PM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Can't say what I'd like to say about scum like that.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 07:01 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Oak I'm sorry. The world, this country and people have gone nuts. Did you sign any kind of document that would hold them to that price? If not you are pretty much held hostage to what I consider...low lifes. What I hate to hear is it was apparently coming from Grand Junction. I have zero expectations of decency from the front range but the W side has been pretty much decent in the last many years (with the exception of Durango in my experience). In real life though if they only wanted to up charge 1500 in these days it might not have been so bad. I too believe 100% in my word and holding others to theirs; a car dealership is not a "person" so just weigh the 1500 vs the benefits getting the truck might provide you, AND, realizing the next go round could be much more expensive.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 02:55 AM   #8
notanlines

Oak, does there seem to be a reason that you're not naming the dealer/stealership? Assuming the situation is exactly as you describe, I'd want the world to at least know who the dirt bags are.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 03:35 AM   #9
frankthefixer

i drove from nj to texas to buy new avalanche 390 at Family rv Zach and the owner are the best people ever they did everything to make sure my family and i were happy, no BS, the fancy price switches just a honest straight up deal. It was worth the trip .I wouldnt go anywhere else. NJ dealers are scum and play all kinds of games. Call Famliy RV in texas
frankthefixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 03:48 AM   #10
NH_Bulldog

Oak, I know it doesn’t help at this point, but I have heard of this same issue a lot lately. As you know, we just reached the end of our new truck odyssey, but we learned a lot along the way.

When we put a deposit down, we had a price agreement locked-in in writing, made the deposit by credit card, and provided a copy of my drivers license on the deposit paperwork. Although Ford did do a price increase after we placed our order and although they stopped accepting orders with most of the options we wanted, in the end we got the truck we wanted at the price agreed.

Along our journey, we have been witness to many dealers acting in shady, if not downright unethical, bordering on criminal behavior. Their attitude is as you experienced; if you don’t want it, we can sell to any of the 10 people in line behind you, and they will pay more. My truck was mine long before it showed up on any public searches a couple of weeks ago, but as of this morning, the dealer has had 48 separate inquiries to buy my truck…..thankfully it is sitting here in my driveway safe and sound away from prying eyes.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 05:08 AM   #11
German Shepherd Guy

It's not the amount. It's the principle. The call was to tell me "A mistake was made. We quoted you the price of a 2WD and this is an AWD." I said no there's no mistake, you just quoted a price you do not want to live up to. Yes it was in writing and I had given money, on my card, based on that. As I understand, and I am no lawyer, that constitutes a contract. However I live 200 miles from Grand Junction, one way. I drive there and suddenly the price they are willing to pay for my trade-in goes down another $1,500. And it was the attitude of the General Manager. Do you really want service from someone who is looking you in the eye (or in the ear as the case was) and telling you they are not to be trusted? No, really not worth it. Besides the price of money is going up. Was 1.9 when I ordered and now 3.9 and higher.

No, what chapped my hide was the attitude. The Sales Manager tried to make it right after my talk with the General, and if they had let him handle it from the git go I would probably not be writing this. As Danny said it was just $1,500. But I think the story is just an example of where we are right now and that's why I shared. I know for a fact I am better off not being in debt at this stage of my existence. On the bright side the 2019 I was going to trade in is paid off, and this next month the mortgage on the farm will be paid in full.

Life is good.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR

Old 04-07-2022, 05:50 AM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

Yup, unfortunately another effect of the times. Shortages, real or imagined, drive up price and demmand. I guess it's just human nature. All one need do is watch a little tv and note the verbage used in many cammercials. How many times will you hear "for a limited time only", "" supply is limited", "order now before they're gone" or "limited to x number per family".

The current situation drives the rats from the sewers to feast on the fears of the consumers. It's sad and disgusting IMO.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 06:03 AM   #13
jasin1

It’s happening with other products also…star-link internet service was taking deposits on internet hardware and monthly subscription costs for $499 for the hardware package and $99 a month internet price…they just changed it to $599 and $110…citing rising costs and inflation.

If you put your deposit in before the change it doesn’t matter..you pay the new price or get your deposit back if you don’t like it https://www.cnet.com/home/internet/s...ernet-service/

Edit: I see that if you payed your deposit you get a little break on the hardware at $549… but still have to pay the $110
Old 04-07-2022, 08:55 AM   #14
Javi

Price at time of shipment....

That's the world I live in...

I bought 400,000 pounds of 18 gage stainless steel (10 truck loads) to be delivered between January and June and offered to pay in advance...

NO... price and payment at time of shipment from mill
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 09:16 AM   #15
dutchmensport

At least, you got your $500 back. Count yourself lucky there.

Now, I know we are not suppose to talk "religion" on these forums, but yours is a good example of something I learned and accepted more than 50 years ago.

Ever since I was 16 years old, I've been a person of Christian "faith." I believe in God, Jesus and the whole 9 yards.

Early in my life, I learned that when God shuts a door, or a chapter in my life, there was usually a very, very good reason why. Had I gone through with my own original plan, it would have ended up in disaster.

Just think about that time you were enroot to a destination and you missed a turn, or was stopped by a flat tire. At the time that happened you were frustrated. But later you learned had you stayed on your original course, you probably would have been right in the middle of a serious and horrible accident just a little further up the road from where you got diverted, or detained.

This type of thing has happened to me, in my life time so many times, it's beyond belief. I was once terminated from a job I really loved. I was devastated. Only to find out less than a year later, the business went completely out of business.

Another time, my wife and I almost made the mistake in purchasing a house. We were denied the credit and we were devastated. In the long run, our lives would have been completely altered had we purchased that property (and not for the better).

I've had purchases blocked, taken out from under me, out bidded. I've been denied different positions at different places of employment, and I've not been able to purchase different automobiles or campers sometimes. Sometimes it was just impossible, blocked by something absolutely bizzare.

I learned to accept these things, because I knew the Good Lord above was actually watching over me, protecting me from making a horrible mistake that would end up cost me some unbelievable pain or money in the future.

So, even though your truck deals may appear to be a shoddy experience, take it as a positive that "somebody" above is actually watching out for you. Who knows, that truck might have ended up being a total lemon, or worse, something might have physically been wrong with it. Something might have broke and cause you to be in a very, very serious accident. You just never, never know. All you can do is trust "The Man" above that he's watching out for you, and wait. Because, HE always comes back with something better!
Old 04-07-2022, 11:16 AM   #16
Carrottop

I agree 100%. While I am catholic and share the same belief system. It does not matter what religion or lack thereof. If Karma or God or just the positive energy you give out to the world it will always come back and protect you. Stay positive and Thank whatever cosmic force you believe in for the correction in your path. All the best in the future.
2015 Nissan Armada 5.6
2021 Keystone Residence 40FLFT
Carrottop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 12:34 PM   #17
firestation12

I've never paid a "down payment" to order a vehicle. I know of a few persons that have made a profit off of buying a new vehicle, then finding a buyer willing to pay a premium to "get it now". Some dealers are being pressured by the manufacturer, to add premiums to sticker prices. Given the rapid rise in new and used vehicle prices, and the shortage of inventory, the OP may have done the dealership a favor by cancelling the sale.
Retired Fire Capt/paramedic 34 yrs
Current owner 2 HVAC companies
Past owner Res/Com electrical
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 02:04 PM   #18
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestation12 View Post
I've never paid a "down payment" to order a vehicle. I know of a few persons that have made a profit off of buying a new vehicle, then finding a buyer willing to pay a premium to "get it now". Some dealers are being pressured by the manufacturer, to add premiums to sticker prices. Given the rapid rise in new and used vehicle prices, and the shortage of inventory, the OP may have done the dealership a favor by cancelling the sale.
I seriously doubt the manufacturers are aware or condone these slimy dealers playing these greedy games.
Honestly if that dealer pulled that on me I'd be on the phone to the manufacturer reporting their shady practices followed by a call the BBB.
I also.agree that things happen for a reason controlled by a much higher power, if it was meant to be it will, trying to force situations my way usually end badly.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 02:05 PM   #19
notanlines

Firestation, I believe your statement "Some dealers are being pressured by the manufacturer, to add premiums to sticker prices" is completely false. Just the opposite is true. All three majors have come out publicly threatening franchises of those adding the bonus money.

Just an edit: https://fordauthority.com/2022/01/gm...ssive-markups/
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 02:18 PM   #20
Carrottop

I would suspect that if the OP threatened the dealer to report him to the manufacturer it may change their tune as it could affect their future inventory. There are several articles that Ford was going to put dealers that are acting unscrupulous to the back of the supply chain.
2015 Nissan Armada 5.6
2021 Keystone Residence 40FLFT
Carrottop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent