Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2017, 03:55 PM   #21
CrazyCain

If i am staying at a state park, i pay for an extra day because we just hate leaving at check out time of 1pm. We usually hang out until 6 or so, then the dump stations are free and clear... If we have a long drive, we stay that extra night.

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 04:25 PM   #22
madmaxmutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Can't imagine a campground with 50 people like you trying to all leave on Sunday morning for a 6 hour drive home.

Javi
It happens.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 04:28 PM   #23
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
It happens.

Probably don't put the grocery basket up either..

Javi
Old 09-18-2017, 04:59 PM   #24
madmaxmutt

Quote:
Probably don't put the grocery basket up either..

Javi
A little personal, don't ya think?

Old 09-18-2017, 04:59 PM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

There's a reason why most RV dump station rinse hoses have the fitting cut off so it can't be connected to a black tank rinse. That's the same reason why all Michigan State Parks that don't offer full hookups have "non-threaded water faucets" on their fresh water stations. It's to keep "inconsiderate people" from spoiling the experience for everyone else who is waiting to dump and get on the road home.

A quick "google search" using the term "RV DUMP STATION ETIQUETTE" will provide enough "generally accepted procedures" to convince all but the most "self centered owner of an RV" that considering those in line behind him is just the "polite thing to do".

If there's someone behind you, the procedure should be:

Have your sewer hose ready to connect
Pull up to the dump site aligning the dump port with the station
Attach your hose to the trailer port and be sure you have a "leakproof" seal with the station
Dump the black tank then close the valve
Dump the gray tank (this also rinses your hose) and then close the valve.
Drain your sewer hose and store it
Rinse any residue you may have spilled
Remove your gloves and pull forward (so the next camper can start dumping his tanks)
Secure your trailer and depart after your "final checks"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 05:08 PM   #26
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
I say, do what you need to do. Those people are not paying you to maintain your RV. They put the flushes on for a reason. If you are headed somewhere it can be done easily or with less waiting for others, so be it. But if you are headed home/storage/another non hookup site, take care of your business and your property.

I guess I have a different take on it. When you are at a public campground, that you know doesn't have sewer facilities, and you know it's busy with folks trying to get out, I think it's the ultimate in rudeness to try to impose your "taking care of your business and property" ie; spending 15 minutes flushing a black tank, while imposing those costs on others that probably tried to take care of it another way.

As one poster noted, stay another day and dump when there is no line. Find another place that you can stop and flush. If in fact you believe you need to "take care of your business and your property" I would think that it would be done somewhere else other than in a line of campers trying to just dump and go home. I do as the one noted above or stop and stay at a full service site to do a thorough flush. I also pay for a full service storage site that has a dump site on property so I never have those worries - nor impose my inability to flush at a proper site on others. The dumps at campgrounds were provided as a convenience so folks could just dump their holding tanks.....not spend an hour trying to "take care of your business and property" - that should be done on your/my dime, IMO.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 05:15 PM   #27
madmaxmutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I guess I have a different take on it. When you are at a public campground, that you know doesn't have sewer facilities, and you know it's busy with folks trying to get out, I think it's the ultimate in rudeness to try to impose your "taking care of your business and property" ie; spending 15 minutes flushing a black tank, while imposing those costs on others that probably tried to take care of it another way.

As one poster noted, stay another day and dump when there is no line. Find another place that you can stop and flush. If in fact you believe you need to "take care of your business and your property" I would think that it would be done somewhere else other than in a line of campers trying to just dump and go home. I do as the one noted above or stop and stay at a full service site to do a thorough flush. I also pay for a full service storage site that has a dump site on property so I never have those worries - nor impose my inability to flush at a proper site on others. The dumps at campgrounds were provided as a convenience so folks could just dump their holding tanks.....not spend an hour trying to "take care of your business and property" - that should be done on your/my dime, IMO.
You are taking a LOT of liberties here. I never said to do half of what you somehow read here. My flush takes no more than three minutes. Wait it out, stay out of Colorado, do whatever makes your boat float. . .

Old 09-18-2017, 05:16 PM   #28
Javi

Quote:
A little personal, don't ya think?

That's the impression you left me with.

Javi
Old 09-18-2017, 05:20 PM   #29
madmaxmutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
There's a reason why most RV dump station rinse hoses have the fitting cut off so it can't be connected to a black tank rinse. That's the same reason why all Michigan State Parks that don't offer full hookups have "non-threaded water faucets" on their fresh water stations. It's to keep "inconsiderate people" from spoiling the experience for everyone else who is waiting to dump and get on the road home.

A quick "google search" using the term "RV DUMP STATION ETIQUETTE" will provide enough "generally accepted procedures" to convince all but the most "self centered owner of an RV" that considering those in line behind him is just the "polite thing to do".

If there's someone behind you, the procedure should be:

Have your sewer hose ready to connect
Pull up to the dump site aligning the dump port with the station
Attach your hose to the trailer port and be sure you have a "leakproof" seal with the station
Dump the black tank then close the valve
Dump the gray tank (this also rinses your hose) and then close the valve.
Drain your sewer hose and store it
Rinse any residue you may have spilled
Remove your gloves and pull forward (so the next camper can start dumping his tanks)
Secure your trailer and depart after your "final checks"...
I guess there are hundreds of things done in campgrounds, that don't follow some people's etiquette rules. Lots I don't agree with. I agree, if the park has rules against it, or no connection, more power to them. If not, so beit.

Old 09-18-2017, 05:27 PM   #30
madmaxmutt

Quote:
That's the impression you left me with.

Javi
No idea from where, but you are wrong in this case

Old 09-18-2017, 05:30 PM   #31
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
You are taking a LOT of liberties here. I never said to do half of what you somehow read here. My flush takes no more than three minutes. Wait it out, stay out of Colorado, do whatever makes your boat float. . .

Not taking liberties.....just connecting the dots. I might wait it out....but you'll be talking to me the whole time - some folks say I'm a great "conversationalist" and "helper"; I won't stay out of CO....been going there for over 60 years and own property there (spend months there each year).....and, I ALWAYS do what makes my boat float - but I do stay away from the front range any more.

The comments you have received are simply trying to get you to see how impolite it can be to do that sort of thing. John gave some good guidelines. YOU can do whatever makes your boat float but that doesn't mean you're being a good neighbor or camper.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:33 PM   #32
madmaxmutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Not taking liberties.....just connecting the dots. ...

The comments you have received are simply trying to get you to see how impolite it can be to do that sort of thing. John gave some good guidelines. YOU can do whatever makes your boat float but that doesn't mean you're being a good neighbor or camper.
Tomato, tomato . . .

I completely understand the point that was so blatantly straw manned. It is the extreme that I object to.

Old 09-18-2017, 06:47 PM   #33
Gegrad

I am connecting my flush hose while my black tank is draining so as soon I notice my black tank is nearly empty I hit "go" on the flush. I usually only need to flush it for a minute or so, so it adds nearly no time. I can usually have my flush hose disconnected, put up, and the hose at the station reconnected and ready to go by the time my grey tanks are done draining. My galley tank drains slower since it has a much smaller lead pipe and is draining from the center of the rig, so it slow trickles for a while. I am also young, so I can zip around the trailer much quicker than many of the seniors. Note I said many; certainly there are a few that still move very quickly
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 05:59 AM   #34
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Reminder, the point of these threads are not to stick your finger in someone's eye. The threads are here to help us learn. Let's keep that tone in our posts. TIA.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 08:24 AM   #35
dblanch57

What was the original question?
Oh yeah! Power flush black tank.

Being a used trailer I would recommend putting 15 gallons of water (or more)into the tank, adding a significant amount of calgon (whole bottle). A couple small bottles of Dawn Dish Soap, and a few cups of bleach to the tank. Some people even add crushed ice to the mix.

Then go for a drive with the trailer to slosh the mix around in the tank for a while, then find a station you can spend some time at and dump the tank while rinsing the tank repeatedly.

Of course figure out your problem with the flush hook up first.

Some people will get the flush wand and stick it down the toilet while dumping.

State parks in Wisconsin will let you dump for a fee. Go during the week and the station is empty most of the time.

Final word - there are many YouTube videos explaining the process. along with many other aspects of RV maintenance and care.

2020 Ford F250 Crewcab 4x4 6.2L
2017 Passport Elite 31RE
DW & Me
<+><
dblanch57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 11:53 AM   #36
the sodfather

Wow. Didn't realize flushing the black tank was so testy! I do not have the luxury of stopping at a different campground (honestly can't understand that if I'm already at one?) or staying an extra day so I can flush. My local Cabelas doesn't have an RV dump station. What I do have is my daughter right there with me as an assistant. She is hooking up the flush hose while I'm gloving up and tending to the stinky slinky. She's also double checking the hatches, locking doors etc. We tend to leave the state parks (Garner, Guadalupe, Buescher, Pedernales Falls, Inks Lake etc.) when folks are still in bed (Sunday 9:00-10:00 am). Never a line when we leave. Sure, if there was a long line, we dump and run.

Honestly kinda surprised with some of the quoted accusations being made on this... "inconsiderate people", "self centered owner of an RV". I'm sure those folks are out there but kinda feeling like I'm being poked by the pointy end.

I guess it's time to shut this one down.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:12 PM   #37
97winger

UPDATE: It took me some time (working on the house to get on the market) but I check the anti-siphon valve it was installed correctly. So under I went, took down the under belly and got access to the power full valve. I cut the hose off the elbow unscrewed it and hit the power flush with a few shots of compressed air and that did the trick. Sure I could of soaked it with Dawn and wait to see but we needed this done so when the house is sold we can begin our journey. Thanks to all
97winger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 03:44 PM   #38
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97winger View Post
UPDATE: It took me some time (working on the house to get on the market) but I check the anti-siphon valve it was installed correctly. So under I went, took down the under belly and got access to the power full valve. I cut the hose off the elbow unscrewed it and hit the power flush with a few shots of compressed air and that did the trick. Sure I could of soaked it with Dawn and wait to see but we needed this done so when the house is sold we can begin our journey. Thanks to all

Super! Great to hear you got it going. Now maybe the house will sell and you can begin that new journey. Good luck and have fun.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:29 PM   #39
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97winger View Post
Glad you got 'er done... and good luck with selling the house...

Just a note on the flush thingy.. They aren't magic and a two or three minute flush with the dump valve open isn't really doing much at all... It really is better to spend the time to fill or at least partially fill the tank several times with the flush.

I think and my experience says that dumping and then putting five or ten gallons of water in the tank with a good shot of Dawn and then driving home will do a much better job than a quick flush and leaving the tank dry. Then at your next full hookup site, spend the time to really wash the tank out...

A clear hose fitting goes a long way in letting you know what's really coming out...

Again, good luck and safe travels..
Old 09-19-2017, 04:35 PM   #40
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblanch57 View Post
What was the original question?
Oh yeah! Power flush black tank.

Being a used trailer I would recommend putting 15 gallons of water (or more)into the tank, adding a significant amount of calgon (whole bottle). A couple small bottles of Dawn Dish Soap, and a few cups of bleach to the tank. Some people even add crushed ice to the mix.

Then go for a drive with the trailer to slosh the mix around in the tank for a while, then find a station you can spend some time at and dump the tank while rinsing the tank repeatedly.

Of course figure out your problem with the flush hook up first.

Some people will get the flush wand and stick it down the toilet while dumping.

State parks in Wisconsin will let you dump for a fee. Go during the week and the station is empty most of the time.

Final word - there are many YouTube videos explaining the process. along with many other aspects of RV maintenance and care.
That's a lot of Calgon and Dawn. If that doesn't do the job, it ain't getting done. The official, whatever that means, Geo Method calls for a lot less ingredient wise. Just FYI.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, tank