Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2013, 08:39 PM   #1
Steve 911

Explanation please...re: Cougar 21rbswe

I'm a total newbe and really interested in a new Cougar 21rbs or rbswe.
I have researched them online and find several obvious differences in east coast versions and west coast versions. I live in northern ca., and I like the east coast edition because of the front cap, single sink instead of double sink, shower location in the bathroom, headboard over the queen bed, and the remote for the slide, etc. I wonder how far I will have to go, east, to purchase a east coast version? Or, does anyone know if I can purchase one on the west coast?
Seems like a silly question but, why do they make two versions of the same unit? Don't they know we get cold and snow here also...lol
Any input would be greatly appreciated....
Thanks
Steve
Steve 911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:03 AM   #2
KanTC

Hi Steve, and welcome to the forum.

East coast models are built in Indiana, and in 2009 the west coast plant opened in Oregon.

Aside from the distinct front cap designs, and some floor plan differences (as you've already found),
the basic construction standards (for walls/floors, framework, insulation factors, etc, etc) should
be the same for both east/west coast Cougar models. Construction differences, if any, would also
have to be noted in the Cougar travel trailer literature. Cold & snow isn't a factor

WHY the floor plan & front cap differences between the 2 factories??... well... who knows?!
I don't know, and I don't recall any of our members being given that specific answer from a dealer.

Keystone provides a map for the east/west dividing line: http://www.keystonerv.com/cougar/#/floorplans

Yes, dealers 'can' order from either plant, 'IF' they choose to do so... they're not limited by Keystone.
And yes, there are some dealers along the east/west dividing line who carry both east/west models.

Also be aware that most RV manufacturers (including Keystone) establish 'perimeters' for their dealers
-sometimes 150-200 miles- so that there's no local/area competition for the same brand/lines. You'll
find that Cougar dealers are separated by a good distance. http://www.keystonerv.com/find-a-dealer

Hope this helps, and good luck with your decision.
Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:03 PM   #3
Steve 911

Wow..thanks a lot for the info. That helps a lot...
Steve
Old 06-28-2013, 04:29 PM   #4
skagitstan

We've got a 21RBSWE, which we are quite happy with...at least after I repaired the crappy quality control finish work.

There are a few other spec differences between the two.
Since we like to dry camp far, far from anywhere, the biggest attraction for us was the bigger fresh and waste water tanks on the RBSWE, compared to the RBS.

I noticed your post mainly because of your Marin location. We used to live in west Marin (Forest Knolls area), but haven't been back since about 1990. Was lovely, but getting too built up and expensive. Has it changed much since then?
Old 07-02-2013, 01:02 PM   #5
Steve 911

Smile

Marin has changed somewhat since you left, but still a great place to live.
Thanks for your input on the 21rbs. Recently we looked at many brands as well as the 21rbs. I liked Artic Fox TT's but they don't have this floor plan. I can't believe that the 21rbs can have so many differences in the same model and same year. For example; the model with the front cap allows for a headboard/shelf at the bed top, and a noticeable arched or curved ceiling for water runoff, a extra cabinet drawer in the drawer stack to the right of the oven, a large single sink instead of the double, shower in the opposite corner allowing for an extra overhead cabinet for storage, the entertainment module relocated making room for an additional cabinet, etc. I received an email from the keystone factory rep. that said these front cap models are also made in Oregon, so I'm surprised I found only one for sale around where I live.
Anyway, sorry to run on..
Happy trails
Steve.