Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2013, 05:22 PM   #1
Flatwoods2007

Rec/Con?? Need wiring diagram

We have a 2007 keystone cougar and we are trying to identify what the REC/CON breaker goes to... Everytime we turn this particular breaker on... NOTHING works. There is a dead short or ground somewhere on the AC side... on the DC side- nothing works. Does anyone have a wiring diagram??
Any help is appreciated! Thanks!
Flatwoods2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:36 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Flatwoods2007 -
Unfortunately, Keystone does not provide any diagrams or schematics for plumbing or electrical. Many members have asked where they can obtain a diagram and the answer is always the same --- none exist. People have asked Keystone but to no avail.

And if anyone here has a schematic, they are keeping it a closely guarded secret.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:42 PM   #3
Flatwoods2007

Thanks.. that figures.

Does anyone have an idea what could be causing our problem?

QUOTE=Festus2;77293]Flatwoods2007 -
Unfortunately, Keystone does not provide any diagrams or schematics for plumbing or electrical. Many members have asked where they can obtain a diagram and the answer is always the same --- none exist. People have asked Keystone but to no avail.

And if anyone here has a schematic, they are keeping it a closely guarded secret. [/QUOTE]
Flatwoods2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:15 PM   #4
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatwoods2007 View Post
We have a 2007 keystone cougar and we are trying to identify what the REC/CON breaker goes to... Everytime we turn this particular breaker on... NOTHING works. There is a dead short or ground somewhere on the AC side... on the DC side- nothing works. Does anyone have a wiring diagram??
Any help is appreciated! Thanks!
REC probably stands for Receptacles.

CON is most likely the Convertor.

First, can you give us a list of what does work when that breaker is off. That'll help rule out a bunch of the AC circuitry.

Also, did this just start to be a problem or has it been this way for a long time?

Using those labels, I'd suggest that the convertor be looked at first. I take that it doesn't work when the breaker is off. I don't know if the convertor is hardwired on the AC side or plugged into a receptacle. Either is possible. If the convertor is not working for any reason, that means your batteries are not being charged.

Then, you'll have to identify which receptacles, etc. are on this circuit. Best way to do that is to plug a radio into an outlet, and start turning off breakers. When the radio goes silent, you'll know which breaker controls that outlet. Move to the next and repeat. Using a radio is suggested because you can turn it up a bit and do the whole trailer without an assistant.

At some point, you'll have a list of items and receptacles linked to each breaker except REC/CON. By the process of elimination you should also know what receptacles or other items should be on REC/CON.

Once you have a fair idea of what the breaker controls, you can start troubleshooting. This is all pretty standard 110vac wiring and pretty much identical to residential wiring. What I'd do is pull each receptacle from the wall and examine it for signs of trouble. Arc marks, burns, etc. are all signs of a problem. It could be a loose wire that is grounding out. It could be loose wiring in the breaker box. Lots of things to go wrong, but fairly easy to troubleshoot.

It may come down to pulling the breaker and using a meter and a helper, testing out each and every wire. There could be a staple or screw through a wire, but it's more probable that there's a problem at a receptacle or appliance that is on that circuit.

I can speculate all day, but this is one of those things that takes boots on the ground to sort out. If you're not comfortable working with 110vac wiring, you'll want to either find an electrician who is willing to work on RV's or take to the RV shop. (Many electricians won't touch an RV, probably because they don't know that the 110vac system is very simple and easy to work on.)

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:14 PM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

On my '07 Cougar Steve is correct ... Receptacle / Converter. Your converter may be shorted and taking everything else out with it. If it is like mine you can unplug the converter from the bottom of the power panel and see if that eliminates the short. Or one of your ac outlets may be shorted. One at a time process of elimination is the way to go. Good luck and let us know how you make out, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:30 AM   #6
jeremyers1

I am new to the forum and am trying to figure out what the Rec/Con breaker does as well. I understand that it powers the receptacles and converter so that I can use the outlets and the things in the RV that need 12v power ... but what I don't understand is whether or not I need this switch ON to charge my batteries?

My question is this: Do I need to have the Rec/Con Breaker "ON" to charge the batteries?
jeremyers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:53 AM   #7
SAABDOCTOR

No converter no charged battery converter must be on to work.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:07 AM   #8
MikeD3534

I vote YES you need the REC/CON breaker ON in order for the batt's to charge.
MikeD3534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:20 AM   #9
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

^^^x2

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote