Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2018, 09:57 AM   #1
BRB Rig

6V Lil Monsters!

While we continue to research lithium ion battery options for our 2015 Fuzion 325, we splurged on 6 deep cycle golf cart batteries from Costco in hopes that would give us enough added juice for our new made in China toaster.

How the f are we going to put these lil monsters in the battery space? There’s barely enough room for two! We’ve been thinking about putting together a 2”x4” wood rectangular corral in our storage compartment and snuggly lining up the batteries there. I guess we would need to somehow reroute the RV cables to the storage compartment.

We’ve also been looking at battery storage compartments but found nothing to accommodate 6 of them. We have a Onan 5500 power plant and we’ll be getting solar installed soon.

Anyone else have a similar setup? Newbies seeking support, taking all offers!
BRB Rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 10:48 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

We camped with a "full timer" last summer. He had a very impressive solar system installed on the roof and eight 6 volt batteries. He had removed the aft wall of his forward passthrough and built a battery compartment under the fifth wheel bathroom.

One thing I'd have to say about your trailer and future plans, with the generator, 6 batteries and a solar system, you will have used a significant chunk of your payload.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 10:58 AM   #3
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

JMO, but for me I'd fire up the generator long enough to to make toast and shut it down. But that's me.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 11:06 AM   #4
BRB Rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
JMO, but for me I'd fire up the generator long enough to to make toast and shut it down. But that's me.
Nice thought! We haven’t fired up once. Then again, we’ve only been Rving for a couple of months and we’ve been using shore power. 🤪
Old 11-25-2018, 11:10 AM   #5
BRB Rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
We camped with a "full timer" last summer. He had a very impressive solar system installed on the roof and eight 6 volt batteries. He had removed the aft wall of his forward passthrough and built a battery compartment under the fifth wheel bathroom.

One thing I'd have to say about your trailer and future plans, with the generator, 6 batteries and a solar system, you will have used a significant chunk of your payload.
Nice story! I would have loved to have seen his setup. You’re dead on about payload concerns. We’ll be running up against the 16.5K max. We’re looking at flex solar to keep the weight down to a minimum on the roof and we’re upgrading from 6-leaf to 8-leaf springs this week and putting in a crossmember between the axles. Disc brakes and 8K axle conversions are in our future plans. 🙏🏼
Old 11-25-2018, 11:34 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Remember that adding 8K axles, 8-leaf springs, disc brakes all add weight to the trailer. There is more to GVW/payload than just what the suspension will carry. You've got a lot of other components that all contribute to the GVW. When you consider all the "electrical management mods" you're considering, adding the additional weight of the upgraded axles, springs, cross members, etc, you're further reducing your payload..... It's a "balancing act" to build a trailer strong enough to carry the payload and building part of the package too strong at the expense of other components.....

Adding "stronger stuff" isn't always the best approach, just as adding 8 batteries (800 pounds) to run a toaster may not be the most efficient "weight management vs electrical capacity decision"... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-26-2018, 11:59 AM   #7
BRB Rig

Quote:
Remember that adding 8K axles, 8-leaf springs, disc brakes all add weight to the trailer. There is more to GVW/payload than just what the suspension will carry. You've got a lot of other components that all contribute to the GVW. When you consider all the "electrical management mods" you're considering, adding the additional weight of the upgraded axles, springs, cross members, etc, you're further reducing your payload..... It's a "balancing act" to build a trailer strong enough to carry the payload and building part of the package too strong at the expense of other components.....

Adding "stronger stuff" isn't always the best approach, just as adding 8 batteries (800 pounds) to run a toaster may not be the most efficient "weight management vs electrical capacity decision"... YMMV
Gotcha. Each battery weighs 58.4 lbs. x 6 = just under 360 lbs!!! Wow. A lot of weight. Wonder what the storage space weight limit is? We're looking at Battle Born lithium batteries as a longterm solution later down the road. The total weight for 6 of those is 186 lbs. Much better. Not sure if this matters, but we've got a big dually GMC to handle our tongue weight, thinking that the storage area is located near the front of the rig.

Also? What would be the best gauge for the cables we use to hook the 6 batteries up? 2 awg, 2/0?
Old 11-26-2018, 12:53 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Remember that you've got a trailer frame that's built on two 10" frame rails, a "cantilevered" front section that carries all the weight of the trailer and you'll be placing the batteries "around the weld joints of the cantilever"... We've had several members with "heavy duty trailers" (GVW's over 15K) who have experienced cracks in the weld joints, damaged/cracked FILON and frame/sidewall separation along the cantilevered welds on their trailer.

Where you're planning to put those batteries will directly affect the weight placed on the cantilevered front. It isn't a matter of how much weight the truck can carry, it's how the trailer "base rails" transfers weight to the pinbox. The "weak link" in many fifth wheels is how the front "superstructure" converts horizontal to vertical loading.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-26-2018, 01:33 PM   #9
BRB Rig

Quote:
Remember that you've got a trailer frame that's built on two 10" frame rails, a "cantilevered" front section that carries all the weight of the trailer and you'll be placing the batteries "around the weld joints of the cantilever"... We've had several members with "heavy duty trailers" (GVW's over 15K) who have experienced cracks in the weld joints, damaged/cracked FILON and frame/sidewall separation along the cantilevered welds on their trailer.

Where you're planning to put those batteries will directly affect the weight placed on the cantilevered front. It isn't a matter of how much weight the truck can carry, it's how the trailer "base rails" transfers weight to the pinbox. The "weak link" in many fifth wheels is how the front "superstructure" converts horizontal to vertical loading.
This is fantastic knowledge! We're checking in with Keystone now about permissible weight for the passthrough. Wonder if it would be possible to retrofit the front section?
Old 11-26-2018, 02:17 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

If you're considering a "complete rebuild" you may find that it's much cheaper to simply buy a trailer designed the way you're trying to "rebuild yours to be"... Looking at your posts, you've already got a generator installed in your trailer, you're adding a significant battery system, considering a solar system as well. That stuff ain't cheap, add the modifications to rebuild the front end and you're talking about the equivalent costs of just buying a trailer that's engineered and built to do what you want without risking whether the "shade tree work" is up to par. That isn't intended to be a slam against any "shade tree mechanic" or and "hobbyist welder" but if you're going to spend a substantial amount of money on lithium batteries, top of the line solar systems and rebuilding a trailer so it will safely support the additional weight, then you would want those modifications done by a competent, professional in that line of work, not "the neighbor with a welder in his pole barn"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-26-2018, 02:26 PM   #11
BRB Rig

Quote:
If you're considering a "complete rebuild" you may find that it's much cheaper to simply buy a trailer designed the way you're trying to "rebuild yours to be"... Looking at your posts, you've already got a generator installed in your trailer, you're adding a significant battery system, considering a solar system as well. That stuff ain't cheap, add the modifications to rebuild the front end and you're talking about the equivalent costs of just buying a trailer that's engineered and built to do what you want without risking whether the "shade tree work" is up to par. That isn't intended to be a slam against any "shade tree mechanic" or and "hobbyist welder" but if you're going to spend a substantial amount of money on lithium batteries, top of the line solar systems and rebuilding a trailer so it will safely support the additional weight, then you would want those modifications done by a competent, professional in that line of work, not "the neighbor with a welder in his pole barn"....
Gotcha on the complete rebuild vs. buying a rig that conforms to our standards. No offense taken whatsoever. If you knocked at our door, we've offer you a cup of cheer.

We bought the rig at a great price, sort of a quick sale. So, we have some "fixit funds" available. The welder we're taking the rig to is a professional yard that works on semi-truck and trailer suspension. Their pricing is less than what any RV maintenance place gave us. Eric
Old 11-26-2018, 03:40 PM   #12
66joej

If I could just add some real life experience here. Back in 2012 we bought a lightly used 2011 Cougar 318SAB 5er 9400# dry GVW 11800#. The previous owner did an excellent job of installing 4 of the heaviest 6 volt golf cart batteries I had seen into the front storage area. Not too long after we got this smoking deal (it was in pristine condition) I noticed the Filon covering the kingpin area was cracked. I removed it and low and behold the frame was cracked where it transitions down to the main frame. Luckily DWs SIL was a certified welder. Sold that puppy at auction with the caveat "welded/repaired frame". Not saying your batteries are too heavy just a heads up . YMMV.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 05:25 PM   #13
BRB Rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
If I could just add some real life experience here. Back in 2012 we bought a lightly used 2011 Cougar 318SAB 5er 9400# dry GVW 11800#. The previous owner did an excellent job of installing 4 of the heaviest 6 volt golf cart batteries I had seen into the front storage area. Not too long after we got this smoking deal (it was in pristine condition) I noticed the Filon covering the kingpin area was cracked. I removed it and low and behold the frame was cracked where it transitions down to the main frame. Luckily DWs SIL was a certified welder. Sold that puppy at auction with the caveat "welded/repaired frame". Not saying your batteries are too heavy just a heads up . YMMV.
Super interesting! Thanks for the real life experience. Were you using a stationary or sliding hitch?
Old 11-26-2018, 06:29 PM   #14
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRB Rig View Post
Super interesting! Thanks for the real life experience. Were you using a stationary or sliding hitch?
Had a Curt 16K slider in a F250 short box. Honestly never had to use the slide function. Mind you I was always mindful when backing.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 07:15 PM   #15
BRB Rig

Quote:
Had a Curt 16K slider in a F250 short box. Honestly never had to use the slide function. Mind you I was always mindful when backing.
That’s a good hitch. We’ve got a beast of a dually pulling our rig with a pullrite 18k sliding hitch.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:05 AM   #16
mhbell

Thumbs up

Quote:
Hope I don't have the same problem that you had. I have 4 trojan HD 6 volt batteries in my 2016 Cougar 227 RLSWE, right in the front, the Pin weight is 2500 Lbs. No problems so far. see the link below for pictures.
Mel

CLICK Here
Old 12-02-2018, 09:20 AM   #17
68GS400

Be sure the battery location is well ventilated to outside. Vented batteries give off hydrogen gas while charging. Not goo being vented into bedroom
On a diesel submarine an officer must crawl thru the battery space making sure all Vent fans were running. That officer then put his name in log verifying operation. (Explosions had occurred in past!)
Residents of Marietta, GA
US Navy 69-74
68GS400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:44 AM   #18
bbells

I went with 2 12v 155ah real deep cycle batteries from Batteries plus and put them in parallel. Meaning 310ah. I think they listed them as 12v golf cart batteries. They weigh about 100 pounds each and are not the fake marine deep cycle batteries. Same benefit as the 6v golf cart batteries, but a smaller footprint. Cost the same as 2 6v golf cart batteries.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 11:12 AM   #19
allenclme

Battery location

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68GS400 View Post
Be sure the battery location is well ventilated to outside. Vented batteries give off hydrogen gas while charging. Not goo being vented into bedroom
On a diesel submarine an officer must crawl thru the battery space making sure all Vent fans were running. That officer then put his name in log verifying operation. (Explosions had occurred in past!)
Has anyone used the AGM batteries? These are sealed and don't have to be vented. The are double the cost of the flooded batteries, but supposedly last longer.
allenclme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 11:27 AM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenclme View Post
Has anyone used the AGM batteries? These are sealed and don't have to be vented. The are double the cost of the flooded batteries, but supposedly last longer.
All of my "power sports" have AGM batteries, They are essential in the snowmobiles as they are installed "sideways" where a lead acid battery would leak. So they do have some "benefit". What I've found is they are OK, but very sensitive to discharge/recharge cycles. They cost double (or more) and if you let them discharge, pretty much plan to buy a new battery.

After replacing the battery ($100) in my RZR annually for 5 years I finally just gave up and bought a 12 volt "riding lawnmower battery" for $20. That was 4 years ago and it's still going strong..... I haven't been impressed with AGM batteries as replacements for lead acid batteries and haven't found, for me, them to be worth the investment..... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS