Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2017, 06:08 PM   #1
sandy43

Insuance confusion ????

I'll try to explain my confusion.
1. I have Good Sams (Nat'l Gen.) insurance for my 2012 5th wheel (Alpine). Year before last is was 400.00, last year was 600.00, this year quoted 800.00. Why does it go up each year? Never had a claim.
2. I also have a Phoenix Cruiser, class C Motorhome. The policy for full coverage is 544 buck/year. It's value is twice the amount of the 5vr.
3. The Motorhome has liability, where as the 5vr doesn't, the truck covers that. Does not make since.

I'm hoping someone, knowledgable about insurance can help and explain this. Also, what kind of rates are you paying and to who?

Many thanks, this is so frustrating.

sandy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 07:19 PM   #2
66joej

Kind of a weird system we have here in BC, The truck has to be insured by the province ICBC. Very high rates. Our RV is insured through a company in Alberta. Very reasonable, all perils, new replacement, etc $124/yr. Mind you it's a 2013 Cougar 24RKS not an Alpine.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 07:32 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Insurance rates can be affected by any number of factors. I think you might have better luck speaking to your insurance agent, or a representative of your insurance company, since I'm willing to bet it will require some "personal" information that probably shouldn't be posted in a "public" forum.

We have Allstate, and since all of our insurance policies are with them, I think the trailer is like $160.00/yr.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 08:37 PM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

I'm wondering why you have three different insurance policies????
My GS policy is for all vehicles owned and has liability on the trailer for when it is not connected to the TV. When it is stored on my home property the 5er is covered under my home owners so it comes off my auto policy. I have everything with the the same company .... makes it a lot easier not to mention, cheaper. Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 09:00 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

As has been said there are many personal equations that go into your insurance costs which I'm sure you don't want to share in an open forum. That said, I'm from TX. I've never had GS give me a quote that was competitive so I've never done business with them as far as insurance for "stuff". The rate increases are driven by many things including state mandated changes (and TX has a lot) or company driven changes. I would highly recommend doing some rate shopping instead of worrying about what the GS rates are. Ask them why they increase. Tell them you will look for another insurer if they can't compromise. On the other hand, if your claim history is negative I doubt you will get a very good rate from anyone.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 04:12 AM   #6
gearhead

I try to keep my life simple. I keep all my insurance at one place, the State Farm office 4 blocks from home. Homeowners, auto, RV, and boats. When I walk in they know me by name. Supposedly, according to them, I'm getting a lot of discounts. I likely could get some of it cheaper elsewhere but it's not worth the effort to me.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 04:35 AM   #7
xcntrk

I just renewed my 5'er annual insurance policy. I'm with State Farm, have a comprehensive policy covering 65k value for collision and non-collision (aka fire/wind/flood/theft) with a $250 deductible. That policy costs me $650 for the year. Liability is inherited from the tow vehicle as you mentioned.

My recommendation is to don't be afraid to switch providers to save some money. When I started my policy with State Farm they were actually cheaper than Good Sam by a couple hundred bucks and provide better coverage all the way around. No brainer in my case.

xcntrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 09:02 AM   #8
geobet

I take the approach that I owe no allegiance to any insurance company to keep their hands out of my pocket and shop each year for the most competitive rate/coverage. Works well for me.

Love the smell of fresh coffee & diesel in the morning!
geobet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 09:19 AM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

I did business with my State Farm agent for decades. Never thought about it. They had pretty good rates when we started, he was a friend, and I figured State Farm would try to stay in the ballpark with rates. I too was told of all the discounts I was receiving. I became alarmed when seemingly monthly I kept receiving notices from State Farm about one kind of exclusion or another (until I wondered if I had coverage for anything), mandatory increases in deductibles etc. Talked to the agent and he tried to reassure me.

Read through the policies to determine exactly what I had or did not have. Took that info and went shopping. Found Geico could cover the house for 1/2 of what State Farm charged. Cars didn't save quite as much but it was substantial. Neither State Farm or Geico could be competitive on the boats so they were (are?? I think I forgot to stop coverage on the bass boat when I gave it to my son in October) with Progressive. I got coverage for all my "stuff", tripled my liability coverage and have a 5M umbrella policy and I'm still paying less than the State Farm rates. I visited with the agent and told him it was great fun swapping hunting and fishing tales but it wasn't worth as much money as I seemed to be paying......business is business; he understood.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 09:53 AM   #10
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I did business with my State Farm agent for decades. Never thought about it. They had pretty good rates when we started, he was a friend, and I figured State Farm would try to stay in the ballpark with rates. I too was told of all the discounts I was receiving. I became alarmed when seemingly monthly I kept receiving notices from State Farm about one kind of exclusion or another (until I wondered if I had coverage for anything), mandatory increases in deductibles etc. Talked to the agent and he tried to reassure me.

Read through the policies to determine exactly what I had or did not have. Took that info and went shopping. Found Geico could cover the house for 1/2 of what State Farm charged. Cars didn't save quite as much but it was substantial. Neither State Farm or Geico could be competitive on the boats so they were (are?? I think I forgot to stop coverage on the bass boat when I gave it to my son in October) with Progressive. I got coverage for all my "stuff", tripled my liability coverage and have a 5M umbrella policy and I'm still paying less than the State Farm rates. I visited with the agent and told him it was great fun swapping hunting and fishing tales but it wasn't worth as much money as I seemed to be paying......business is business; he understood.
We were with Farmer's for over 40 years and two agents... first retired and sold his agency to the second.. Last 10 years or so the rates kept going up until I was paying $2400 a year for two vehicles and the trailer with no claims, tickets and a credit rating of 800+..

I finally said enough is enough and started shopping.. Found more coverage, less deductible and saved more than $1200 a year with Geico.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:57 AM   #11
sandy43

Lots of good info you guy's have posted. Opened my mind to lots of possibilities. I know I don't post a lot, but when I do, I get good suggestions. Many thanks.
Sandy

sandy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 12:56 PM   #12
gearhead

State Farm did raise my homeowners a good bit. Called and made an appointment with the boss lady. She knew what was up when we got there. They had our valuation sky high. No no we're not doing that. Went back to a more reasonable value.
We keep our eye on them. At least we weren't arguing with someone on the phone in Minnesota.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote