Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2017, 03:10 PM   #41
66joej

CWtheMan. Very good write up. So much for trading every 3-5 years. Find a good one and keep it. Thanks

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 06:13 PM   #42
itat

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullet18 View Post
So I have been looking for three months now at upgrading to either a lower end 5ver or a high end hitch TT. Somewhere in the 35000 to 38000 range which is my budget. I really cannot find a Fver in that range I am satisfied with. I have narrowed it down to a Cougar 33 MLS or a Rockwood 8328BS. I currently own a Keystone and am really having a hard time deciding. Any opinions from the group would be very appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You probably can't go wrong either way. I've been looking at both Rockwood and Cougar X-Lite recently. I'm also impressed with the Grand Design Reflection models.

I've owned 2 Rockwoods - as the 2nd owner both times. With my first, a hybrid Roo, the Rockwood factory sent me replacement bunk doors at no cost when the originals delaminated - even though the unit was more than a year old and I was the 2nd owner. I've heard lots of similar stories of factory support on the Forest River Forum. FR has a respectable reputation for after sales support and hosts an annual rally in Goshen, IN where they do free repairs. The independent dealers tend to be less supportive but there are lots of positive dealer reviews on the FR Forum.

The Rockwoods come from the factory with Fantastic Fans and vent covers. The Cougars come from the factory with the little 6" fan and no vent covers. Cougars have the Lippert Auto Leveling system and the max. turn front corners on the 5er (important if you have a short bed TV). Rockwoods don't offer either but they come with the Reese Revolution pin box. Rockwoods have Dexter torsion axles. Cougars have Lippert axles with leaf springs with the MOR/ryde CRE 3000 suspension. The third party appliance and equipment suppliers are similar.

There are pluses and minuses, horror stories and glowing reviews, with both.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2014-2018)
itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 10:27 AM   #43
nesparky

My only issue is not having enough outlets on different circuits. Do I really need a gfci outlet in my bedroom?I have 8 outlets on the same circuit.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
nesparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 10:42 AM   #44
66joej

Not an Electrician but I believe the first receptacle coming from the panel is the GFCI and the rest run from that particular one.

2018 Cougar 27RESWE
Old 02-02-2017, 04:12 PM   #45
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullet18 View Post
So I have been looking for three months now at upgrading to either a lower end 5ver or a high end hitch TT. Somewhere in the 35000 to 38000 range which is my budget. I really cannot find a Fver in that range I am satisfied with. I have narrowed it down to a Cougar 33 MLS or a Rockwood 8328BS. I currently own a Keystone and am really having a hard time deciding. Any opinions from the group would be very appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just went through some walk thrus on TTs. I told the dealership that I wanted the best/most luxurious travel trailer they offered. We looked at a Jayco Eagle and one from Forest River but don't remember the brand. They did have several Rockwoods there and he told me they weren't at the level of the other two. They did not carry Keystone. I asked about Keystones and he said they made an excellent product and their top of the line models would equal, and probably surpass, the models I was looking at (I had told him I owned a Keystone and they made a good product but was surprised to hear him say that - he did say that he had sold Keystones until a year or two ago). What does that tell you?? I don't know- it's just an experience I had. I had also put a Rockwood on my short list before buying our current Cougar High Country but the Rockwood just didn't have the quality that the Cougar had......so look very close at the construction of the two and what you are getting.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 08:43 AM   #46
Mboys

I purchased a 3511re Alpine in November. During the PDI the converter was smoking, the Fire place did not work and there were a few cosmetic issues that had to be taken care of before we could use the unit which resulted in towing it back to CW for repairs (one month). Pick it up and took it out for a 4 day shake down trip. First night out forced air unit kept blowing fuses as it started up and residential Samsung fridge never cooled down at all, freezer or top. Cut trip short and took unit back to CW where it sits today still waiting on Samsung parts. I had to deal with Samsung directly and call a service tech out to CW to repair the brand new unit I just bought from them. Called Keystone and they confirmed that's the way it works, frig is warranties by Samsung not the dealer or Keystone so be prepared for issues like that. I was a little, no, a lot disheartened after paying what I considered big bucks for a new unit and had to jump through hoops before I could use it. It appears all will be taken care of under warranty but not without numerous calls anxiety. Now having said (vented) all of this, I have had good experience with Keystone as well as CW with other issues and owned a Montana previously that we pulled to Alaska twice and Midwest once from AZ without any major issues. Bottom line, I would recommend Keystone products but do a very very complete PDI even if it takes a day or two. It will be worth your time! I apologize this is so long but hope it helps in some way.
Mboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 09:07 AM   #47
66joej

Thank God we can't afford a new RV. I'd be really ticked if we spent the big bucks on an Alpine and have those problems even though all is covered on warranty. Hope all get straightened out and you can begin to enjoy that nice outfit.

2018 Cougar 27RESWE
Old 02-23-2017, 09:16 AM   #48
Mboys

Thanks so much. I feel confident everything will be taken care of. We're getting ready for a 5 month trip so we really don't want too many surprises. Again, sorry so lengthy but I just happened to have read your post while I am in the middle of all this. Safe travels.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:40 AM   #49
gnirwin

I bought a new Alpine last year. Funny thing is that the dealer found more things wrong than I did after we went thru the PDI. We noticed a couple minor issues but I missed the wheels where the clearcoat was peeling away and the fireplace not working properly. I got a phone call a few days before picking it up and they asked if I could wait till the weekend because they hadn't had time to replace the wheels and fireplace. A big surprise. Actually they even upgraded the fireplace. Much nicer unit. No problems here and actually I did get a form to look at prior to the purchase informing me what Keystone would cover under warranty and what others would (Samsung etc.) so there wouldnt be any misunderstanding.
gnirwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 09:48 AM   #50
Mboys

Now that's great service! Have you been happy with your Alpine over all in particular the Samsung frig?
Old 02-26-2017, 09:06 AM   #51
gnirwin

So far very happy. We haven't had it even a year yet. So far the Samsung is great on 2 earlier campers the non residential fridges were problematic...this one has to be better in long run. I do have a generator if we ever decide to dry camp but most times will be spent in campgrounds or just an overnight stop somewhere. We will be retiring late next year and it will get a workout then.
gnirwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 09:11 AM   #52
Mboys

Good to hear. Enjoy your retirement and thanks for your reply. Hpie to see you along the trail. Will be looking for another Alpine to see if it might be you��
Old 02-26-2017, 10:54 AM   #53
LarrySharon

Location: Rainier, Oregon but my heart is still in Arizona and my wife's heart is in Oregon.
I have a Keystone Hideout, 2017. Far from being top of the line but have been really happy with it. A couple of minor issues but nothing major that would affect the integrity or functionality of the unit. Our dealer, UNEEK RV, was great. So I figured that if the manufacturer did a great job on this one perhaps the higher priced units are even better. I heard a lot of horror stories about a lot of units, entry level as well as top of the line with several makes/models. Wish you luck on what ever you decide and happy rv'ing.

Larry/Sharon Ellison
U.S. Navy Retired
Retired from Armstrong World Industries
Retired Period, But Not From Life
2007 Toyota Tundra
2017 Keystone Hideout 22KBSWE
LarrySharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 01:10 PM   #54
Bob Landry

The only issue with my 2012 Outback was with the axle equalizer setup and I didn't know it was an issue until I installed the Dexter kit and found that a couple of the links were about to wear through. The original links were stanped from about 1/8" steel, the new ones with the wet bolt kit were 3/8" and much better made. Every trailer should have this upgrade, no exceptions. The kit is only around $160 from Dexter and easy to instal. As the commercial says, "Get this one done". it could save your trailer from an expensive suspension failure.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keystone