Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2016, 09:52 PM   #1
Deankoe

Hitch Recommendations?

I have ordered a Silverado 2500 with a 5th wheel prep package. Looking for a hitch that is light enough and easy enough for one person to remove. And one that is quiet on the road. I would rather spend a little more, than not get what I want. Can I get some ideas? Max tow weight on the trailer is 10,000 lbs.
Deankoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 03:20 AM   #2
Dave W

Re: Hitch Recommendations?

The B&W is in two 60-70 pound pieces that I find are pretty easy for me to remove. Takes about 10 minutes either way which includes finding my step ladder to climb in and out of the truck bed (bad knees) and storage trolley.
These are one of the 'standards' http://www.turnoverball.com/products/fifth-wheel-towing.

Others like the Anderson. I can't comment on how well they work but to me, a bit clumsy to hook up (let the fires at my nether end begin) http://www.andersenhitches.com/catal...onnection.aspx

The rest of the hitches seem pretty bulky, heavy and difficult to handle to my way of thinking but decent products. They also leave rails in the truck bed while the other two mentioned above wont, allowing 100% use
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 03:23 AM   #3
xcntrk

Are you shopping for a slider hitch? Assuming with a 6.5' bed you need to make that determination up front to help your hitch selection...

xcntrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 03:31 AM   #4
Laredo291OH

Hi Deankoe,

I bought a Silverado back in July with the 5th wheel prep. I'm guessing one of the first. As far as hitches go, there isn't much choice yet. I believe only B&W and Curt are making 5th wheel hitches to fit the GM puck system so far. Below are links, B&W only has the one and it appears to be several hundred dollars more than the Curt. With the Curt you can buy just the legs and pick from many different heads. From all of my "Googling" on the subject, I think I'm going to pay the extra for the B&W, partially because it is made here in the USA.

http://www.turnoverball.com/products...gm-puck-system

http://www.curtmfg.com/part/16025
Laredo291OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 08:03 AM   #5
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deankoe View Post
I have ordered a Silverado 2500 with a 5th wheel prep package. Looking for a hitch that is light enough and easy enough for one person to remove. And one that is quiet on the road. I would rather spend a little more, than not get what I want. Can I get some ideas? Max tow weight on the trailer is 10,000 lbs.
You have just described the Andersen hitch. Unfortunately, you have a short bed and probably need a slider. If you decide you don't need or want a slider, then I would personally go with the Andersen.

www.andersenhitches.com
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 08:57 AM   #6
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo291OH View Post
Hi Deankoe,

............ From all of my "Googling" on the subject, I think I'm going to pay the extra for the B&W, partially because it is made here in the USA.

I have only seen one person have a problem with a B&W and that was with the current design turn over base and hauling a huge 5er at near the design limits of the hitch. He worked with B&W and got it worked out. I've had a couple calls to them. One when I was using their original turn over system and galled a U-bolt threads. I had a new set of U-bolts at no charge arrive at my door via FedEx next day. The second time was just recently(Sept ) when I called to see if the head leveling gadget on their latest offering was available for our '09 model. I had it in hand, no charge, in 3 days. They take pride in their US made product with US supplied steel. Ours is starting to look a bit weather beaten, but has been problem free for many thousands of miles hauling two different 12,000 pound 5ers through 36 states shown on the map below.

Like I said above, some like an Anderson - but I have no experience nor have I ever seen one in use.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 12:06 PM   #7
Barbell

We have the Curt hitch made for the Dodge puck system which is, I think the same as the GM model. Having pulled with it close to 16,000 miles since February, with at least 35 hook/unhook sequences, I would say go with the Curt. That said, I don't know anything about the Anderson or the B&W; they may be fine but I know the Curt is a good one.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 02:24 PM   #8
MBD

I have a Reese and it is rated way more than I need. It is one heavy rascal. The hitch can be taken apart into two pieces and they are manageable. There are rails that remain in the bed. The rails don't interfere much with transporting cargo. Have you considered a gooseneck set up?
MBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 04:12 PM   #9
mets721

I use a Reese Titan, which breaks down to two pices that are very manageable. I have taken the hitch out of the bed several times. The only thing that stays in the bed are the rails. Unless you haul dirt that would get jammed underneath them, they won't get in your way at all, very low profile. I replaced my kingpin with a Reese Sidewinder so that I wouldn't need a slider. Just finished my first season with this set up and my first with a fifth wheel. It went very well and I'm happy with this setup.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:59 PM   #10
Pmedic4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbell View Post
We have the Curt hitch made for the Dodge puck system which is, I think the same as the GM model. Having pulled with it close to 16,000 miles since February, with at least 35 hook/unhook sequences, I would say go with the Curt. That said, I don't know anything about the Anderson or the B&W; they may be fine but I know the Curt is a good one.
I too have the Curt hitch for my RAM puck mount, and I think it is a good, if not great hitch. Much better than my previous truck with bed rail mount.

However, it is not light or easily removable by one person as requested by DEANKOE. If that's what I was looking for, I'd probably go with the Anderson Ultimate 5th wheel connection, but I won't vouch that it compares to the Curt system in my truck.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 09:02 PM   #11
GScott176

Andersen for sure . It weights next to nothing. Even with short bed you can use it. When not in use I remove it from truck and lay it up in the camper. It fits thru a standard side entry door if you turn it sideways.
After a few times hooking up it gets easy to line up when hitching to TV.
Andersen Ultimate Hitch
2003 HD FLHTCUI
2008 V-Star 1100 Custom ( DG )
Quads
Dirt Bikes
GScott176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 10:29 AM   #12
Deankoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo291OH View Post
Hi Deankoe,

I bought a Silverado back in July with the 5th wheel prep. I'm guessing one of the first. As far as hitches go, there isn't much choice yet. I believe only B&W and Curt are making 5th wheel hitches to fit the GM puck system so far. Below are links, B&W only has the one and it appears to be several hundred dollars more than the Curt. With the Curt you can buy just the legs and pick from many different heads. From all of my "Googling" on the subject, I think I'm going to pay the extra for the B&W, partially because it is made here in the USA.

Do you know how either of them weigh? Or how hard are they to disconnect? I guess I didn't know when I ordered the 5th W package, it limited me to what I could use.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:32 AM   #13
Deankoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcntrk View Post
Are you shopping for a slider hitch? Assuming with a 6.5' bed you need to make that determination up front to help your hitch selection...
No slider. 6.5 bed, but with Cougar, everything I read says I can get 88 degree turn. I am good with that. I have read some complaints about noise and ease of hook up with sliders.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:27 PM   #14
Deankoe

After reviewing, I am thinking a Curt or BW since I ordered the puck system in the truck. Then get an electric hoist for $150 and mount to my garage ceiling. Lower it down on a furniture dolly and store in my spare garage. Shouldn't be too bad.
Old 10-29-2016, 05:41 AM   #15
xcntrk

Quote:
No slider. 6.5 bed, but with Cougar, everything I read says I can get 88 degree turn. I am good with that. I have read some complaints about noise and ease of hook up with sliders.
Gotcha. I like the Cougar's and their mid-profile front cap. Little smaller, more aerodynamic, and provides high clearance as you mentioned. Might want to check the measurements to be certain. The downsides you mentioned with sliders are all true and nobody uses one because they prefer them; it's because they're mandatory with certain 5'ers that use full-profile front caps when combined with short-bed pickups.

Look at the below pic for example. That's slid 14" back on a slider hitch and still barely clears the cab. Without a slider this Fuzion wouldn't work with a SB pickup. Best to check first. Google how to measure, take the time to properly measure both the cap (of your prospective trailer) and rig to make sure you can clear the cab with a fixed hitch.

xcntrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 06:44 PM   #16
Pmedic4

Quote:
After reviewing, I am thinking a Curt or BW since I ordered the puck system in the truck. Then get an electric hoist for $150 and mount to my garage ceiling. Lower it down on a furniture dolly and store in my spare garage. Shouldn't be too bad.
I would recommend the Curt, I have the Q16 and the hook up gives a great piece of mind, towing is smooth, and really much easier to disconnect than my old hitch. I've considered the hoist idea, and may do that, but my crew cab truck won't even fit in my garage, so I'm building a new garage. There is always a solution to every problem.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 04:56 AM   #17
Barbell

Have never had the hitch out of the truck but it is in two parts so each part is managable. Be sure to install the covers in the puck holes before hauling dirt/gravel since the hitch has to go in those holes. Having had a Reese that failed, causing over $7000 in damage to the truck, I would strongly recommend something else.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 07:28 AM   #18
Desert185

I'm grateful for a lot of things, including my Andersen hitch and long bed when I read threads like this.
Old 11-03-2016, 09:47 AM   #19
Don N.

I opted to do away with the bulky, cumbersome and heavy receiver hitch with their bed rails that I had for many years, and had installed the Andersen Ultimate 5th wheel gooseneck with the B&W turnover gooseneck hitch. The Andersen is very light weight compared to traditional receiver hitches, and there is essentially no bucking noises when you stop or accelerate. The absence of bed rails and ability to 'turnover' the gooseneck hitch leaves my truck bed clean for hauling anything.
2013 GMC 2500HD w/ B&W turnover gooseneck hitch and Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel gooseneck mount
Airlift airbags

Don N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 10:50 AM   #20
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don N. View Post
I opted to do away with the bulky, cumbersome and heavy receiver hitch with their bed rails that I had for many years, and had installed the Andersen Ultimate 5th wheel gooseneck with the B&W turnover gooseneck hitch. The Andersen is very light weight compared to traditional receiver hitches, and there is essentially no bucking noises when you stop or accelerate. The absence of bed rails and ability to 'turnover' the gooseneck hitch leaves my truck bed clean for hauling anything.
That's my setup. One of my better decisions.