Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2017, 02:48 PM   #1
BreakFreeLiveFree

Manual stabilizer jacks operation

I can't for the life of me find a way to manually operate the stabilizer jacks on my 2016 333MKS. Last holidays we went boondooking in the middle of nowhere New Mexico (without solar or a generator with stock battery). It was pretty cold so we turned on the furnace for the night. We woke up the next day and our battery was dead. We had no way to retract our slides or operate our jacks. I did research , looked in the owners manual and found nothing but "general" instructions. Nothing specific to my year and model. Please help, I'm a newbie and the experience was so bad we refuse to go boondocking again until we know exactly how to manually operate our slides and jacks.
BreakFreeLiveFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:49 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

The easiest way to get out of that kind of predicament is to connect the tow vehicle battery to the trailer battery with jumper cables (leave the vehicle running) and use the tow vehicle as a power source. A much slower alternative is to connect the trailer umbilical to the truck and wait, sometimes an hour or more, for the tow vehicle to charge the trailer battery "a bit" through the umbilical. You will need the vehicle running for that to happen also.

Without knowing what kind of stabilizing jacks you have, most electric jacks have a bolt to loosen and you can remove the motor from the jack, then you can use a 3/4" socket to operate the jack.

I'd suggest adding a set of jumper cables to your truck or to your trailer so you're always prepared in the future !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:04 PM   #3
BuxCamper

GM vehicles have a wire at the underhood fuse box that when connected feeds 12V to the rear Bergman connector.

There should be a flexible adapter that came with your trailer that along with a drill will plug into the slide motor and let you manually operate it.

Yes a furnace will very rapidly kill a battery.

-- Mark

I used a multi-billion dollar government satellite navigation system to look for a rubber chicken in a tree!

2017 Bullet 248RKS towed by a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3L V8 W/ AFM
BuxCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:13 PM   #4
NorskeBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakFreeLiveFree View Post
I can't for the life of me find a way to manually operate the stabilizer jacks on my 2016 333MKS. Last holidays we went boondooking in the middle of nowhere New Mexico (without solar or a generator with stock battery). It was pretty cold so we turned on the furnace for the night. We woke up the next day and our battery was dead. We had no way to retract our slides or operate our jacks. I did research , looked in the owners manual and found nothing but "general" instructions. Nothing specific to my year and model. Please help, I'm a newbie and the experience was so bad we refuse to go boondocking again until we know exactly how to manually operate our slides and jacks.
I would have connected the trailer to the tow vehicle. A second battery installed will help too. I have found that I need a second battery when boon docking and using the furnace & the other DC loads in the RV. Last year I purchased a Honda 2000 watt generator - now we can keep the batteries charged without connecting to the tow vehicle.

RV - 2017 Avalanche 320RS
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4
NorskeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:39 AM   #5
Barbell

What John and Mark suggest.... We have had to use jumper cables hook up on occasion. A second vehicle is needed unless you have really long cables. Also have hooked the power to the truck and waited for it to charge; that does take a while. Also, you have somewhere in your new rig the adapter to attach to a drill and run the pump that way. Have to have a battery operated drill tho.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks