Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2017, 07:40 AM   #1
L0veless

hartland tires?

we traveled from Michigan to az, now in Utah and going to ca.
our trailer tires have maybe 2000 miles on them (they are brand new oem "E" rated that came with the 5th wheel) and want to change out to the "G" rated for our trip back. reading many forums it seem that hartland brand tire is not even in the discussion. I have taken all my vehicles to discount tire and they take great care of me plus service all across the country. they are offering this brand "hartland" any reviews or information would be helpful.

thank you
L0veless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:27 AM   #2
CWtheMan

I very seldom mention brand names in my comments about ST tires unless it’s a technical condition being discussed.

The reason for that is, one never really knows if it’s a tire re-branded or not. The China manufacturing plants will brand a tire with brand names requested by the USA wholesaler.

Each tire has a plant code. That plant code will lead you to a manufacturer. With some more deep research you can find out other tire brand names manufactured at the plant. I suspect your retailer has those tires in stock which makes the sale much easier for them. You retailer has a huge volume of sales. When pressed for a more well known brand name, I’m sure they will find them for you.

On the other side there is the tire they are offering. Is it steel cased? Almost all of them came from the same China plants. The name is changed to satisfy the seller.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:44 AM   #3
L0veless

they are all steel and weigh in at 60 lb just 2 lbs lighter then the Sailun tires. I have not been to the store yet. just what is on their website as to the only "G" rated trailer tire they have for 235/85/16.

thank you
Old 03-09-2017, 02:12 PM   #4
gearhead

Seems like someone on here got in a bind on the road and the Hartland was all they could get. I do remember the phrase "guinea pig" being used. Maybe they will post.
If you do upgrade to "G" be sure the wheels are rated for them. And if I remember correctly, CWtheMan usually points out that G tires need a 6 1/2" width wheel rim.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 04:41 PM   #5
notanlines

I can't quite figure out why people want to go to a different brand than the one that is tried and true. Most of the time the brands are compared to Sailun. Why not simply buy Sailun and go down the road? Yes, I will buy into the Maxxis and Carlisle also, but Sailun brand repeatedly floats to the top. What are you going to save? Maybe a hundred bucks?
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 07:13 PM   #6
L0veless

I guess my post was miscommunicated, I had always used discount tire because of their exceptional service and nation wide locations. when I looked on their website Hartland was all they offered in a "G" rating. Carlisle is available in E and F but not G.
just wondering what the thoughts are on these as I have not heard of them.
actually Hartland is more expensive than the Sailun.
just trying to do some research before purchasing in the next couple of weeks.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:54 AM   #7
notanlines

Mark, I see online at Discount Tire that the Hartland is $185. I looked a little further and found the Sailuns on Simple Tire for $142. The $142 beats what I paid at Tire Kingdom in Florida, that was $177 each, installed. Actually, I hadn't been able to find Hartland anywhere else other than Discount. Keep us upon what you do.....
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 04:25 AM   #8
bsmith0404

I bought the Hartland LRG tires from Discount for my 5er. I'm the one Gearhead mentioned as stating I would be the guinea pig. The Hartland tire is made exclusively for Discount Tire. I do not have any information as to who the tire is rebranded from. As CW stated, they are most likely another tire that is rebranded with the Hartland name for Discount Tire. The appear to be a Goodyear G614 clone. I have not used the tires yet, but I am impressed with the construction of them and how well they balanced. They took very little weight to balance. When I worked at a tire shop, you could always tell the difference between cheap vs quality tires and wheels by how much weight they took to balance. Additionally, the tires are a G rated tire with over 4k lbs rating at 95 psi. I've never seen another G rated tire at 95 psi. The Carlisle LRF is a 95 psi tire. That tells me the tire carcass is heavier in order to carry the weight at the lower pressure. I decided to try the tire because, like you, I've always had good luck with Discount Tire. I'm hoping that they decided to have these tires branded exclusively for them in order to provide a quality tire not available from anyone else.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 05:15 AM   #9
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Additionally, the tires are a G rated tire with over 4k lbs rating at 95 psi. I've never seen another G rated tire at 95 psi.
Did you find that 95 PSI on the tire sidewall or in someones PDF file?

Load ranged tires maximum inflation pressures are determined by the TRA who also approve all manufacturer charts/tables. 95 PSI is standard for LRF tires and 110 PSI for LRG ST tires, that includes the GY G614 RST.

The load index (129) for the LRG ST tire is 4079#, very close to the load range letter "G", 4080#.

NOTE: If you found that 95 psi on the ST LRG tire sidewall it's a very serious safety violation and should be reported to the provider, manufacturer and NHTSA for recall consideration. It could cause the tire to be seriously under inflated when carrying a load greater than the 95 psi would support.

Additionally, Discount Tire, the provider of the Heartland tire have 110 PSI in their PDF file.

There are a number of very good references to read when "plus sizing" your RV trailer tires. Toyo and Firestone/Bridgestone have the easiest ones to work with. Just follow the path to your situation.

It's interesting to note that every one of them note that the plus sized tires should first be recommended by the vehicle manufacturer.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:27 AM   #10
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by L0veless View Post
I guess my post was miscommunicated, I had always used discount tire because of their exceptional service and nation wide locations. when I looked on their website Hartland was all they offered in a "G" rating. Carlisle is available in E and F but not G.
just wondering what the thoughts are on these as I have not heard of them.
actually Hartland is more expensive than the Sailun.
just trying to do some research before purchasing in the next couple of weeks.
If your wheels can handle 95 the Carlisle LR F are the way to go. I've only heard of 1 problem with a Carlisle and it was 11 years old, way beyond it's lifespan. I've been running Carlisle LR E on 2 5ers and see no reason to ever change.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 07:45 PM   #11
the sodfather

I replaced my spare (previously had the TK) with a Hartland from DT. Used it once. It rolls. That's about the best review I can give. My other tires are Calisle HD 's. Now thats a tire that makes a difference!
Old 04-19-2017, 04:28 AM   #12
L0veless

update,
we just got home and no issues with the stock E tires there are approximately 5000 miles and look great. still want to change out to the "G" though. doing more research the Heartland tire has a M speed rating over the Sailun L speed rating and other trailer tires. has anybody else noticed this? the M rating is real interesting. granted my cruise control is set at 65 but occasionally do get to 75 or so.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:34 AM   #13
bsmith0404

I have noticed, but that isn't a real concern for me. With the Hartland tires you have 2 options, both G rated, but one is a standard ST tire the other is the all steel. Get the all steel, you can feel the difference between the 2. I doubt they are much different than the Sailun or Goodyear G614. They are a nice looking tire and I will find out in a month how well they perform, but I am anticipating that I will be impressed. They balanced very well, so that's a good start.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires