Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2017, 06:53 AM   #1
Jonas

What air pressure???

I have another thread here in the "Modifications & Upgrades" section but decided to start a new thread as the topic is now different.
I bought a tire and wheel combo of ST235/85R16 and aluminum wheels for my single axle Keystone Bullet that grosses out at 4700lbs.
I am confused about what psi I should be running in these tires. The sidewall says 95psi but after some research I now believe that 80psi is correct.
Anyone else run into this issue? (see pic)

2016 F150 4X4 - EcoBoost - 3:55's - rear locker - 9500# winch
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:33 AM   #2
xrated

Just curious why you bought a set of Load range E tires for a trailer that lightweight? I have no suggestions on tire pressure....sorry.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:44 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Just curious why you bought a set of Load range E tires for a trailer that lightweight? I have no suggestions on tire pressure....sorry.
Vern,

His trailer is a single axle model, so unlike you and me, he has to divide his tire load by two where we divide by four. Also, he wanted wider tires since he tows on sandy beaches on the coast. His other thread that he references has some discussion about the information on his tire sidewalls being incorrectly molded and bad information.

Jonas,

Have you contacted NHTSA about the pressure recommendations? Or have you contacted Load Star?

As for pressure ratings, I'd believe the rating should be 80PSI max. That's what I'd run in the tires if they were mine, at least until NHTSA and Load Star came back with something in writing.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:55 AM   #4
xrated

Whoops.....I missed the single axle part....sorry. Carry on, I'll go back to sleep!

Old 10-17-2017, 09:09 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Whoops.....I missed the single axle part....sorry. Carry on, I'll go back to sleep!
Nah !!! You're awake now, might as well "do something" LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 10:15 AM   #6
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Nah !!! You're awake now, might as well "do something" LOL
I don't know. Yesterday, I did nothing all day long....but I didn't get finished. So today, I'm doing nothing again.....I'm NOT a quitter ya know!

Old 10-17-2017, 01:21 PM   #7
fourfourto

I have a single axle 3200 lbs light 4000lbs heavy maxes at 4400ish lbs
it says on my sticker 60 lbs ,should be listed on your sticker.

Been running 60lbs 55 to 65 MPH Apx 5000 miles little to no wear on tires

gonna upgrade the Chinese BOMBS next year

2017 Keystone 1750rd
2006 Hummer H3
1968 Oldsmobile 442
1983 Honda CX650C
fourfourto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 01:59 PM   #8
Pull Toy

First off.. what's your tire guy recommend?

If you have the "Typical" Sendel Aluminum Rims (3580# max load and 97# max psi ). A single axle trailer would equate to 7160# Gross Trailer Weight capacity on the wheels. Probably about twice your load. You can check the rim rating on the spoke backside, one will list the model and capacity.

Although I usually recommend the sidewall max., in your case that might be extreme, and actually exacerbate the "single axle bounce". If your side placard suggests 60#, run with that till you get a better read from tire manufacturer/retailer. (You might need to go to their sight and decipher the chart
).

Too soft you run HOT... too hard you BOUNCE!

p.s. I'd rather see you with too much tire, as opposed to too little, but check your p.s.i., and get it right.. Good job for asking, sorry , not many solid answers here.

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 05:16 PM   #9
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
I have another thread here in the "Modifications & Upgrades" section but decided to start a new thread as the topic is now different.
I bought a tire and wheel combo of ST235/85R16 and aluminum wheels for my single axle Keystone Bullet that grosses out at 4700lbs.
I am confused about what psi I should be running in these tires. The sidewall says 95psi but after some research I now believe that 80psi is correct.
Anyone else run into this issue?
There is a standard industry wide procedure to follow when plus sizing up from the Original Equipment size.

The new tires - at the minimum - need to be inflated to a psi value that will allow them to provide - at the very minimum - a load capacity equal to what the OE tires provided at the vehicle manufacturer's recommended inflation pressure found on the tire placard.

Because an inflation chart used for the OE tires will not work with your replacements you will have to find and apply a chart designed for the new tires.

NHTSA allows the use of an auxiliary tire placard with the size of the new tires and recommended inflation pressures to be displayed on it. It can be placed adjacent to the origional tire placard.

I already said in another post somewhere that you need to show a picture of you replacement tires to NHTSA. 95 psi is an invalid pressure rating for any LRE tire. You know, they will force the tire manufacturer to give you free LRE replacements. They will give the manufacturer the option to recall all tires manufactured from that mold, or, force the manufacturer to comply. Tires like that are UNSAFE!

Just curious: Why do you need to have so much load capacity reserves in your replacement tires when the OE tires already were 2000# (total) over your GAWR? Height fitment must be close to the minimum 3.5" wheel well clearance needed for safe operation.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 05:17 AM   #10
Jonas

Thanks for the replies everyone!
I went to this size tire because I want more flotation on the beach and for off-road use. I still have plenty of clearance all around and the extra capacity is a bonus too.
I ended up calling the phone number on the sidewall and got Kenda tires on the line. I was then connected to a gentleman with the Load Star tire division.
He assured me that 95psi is the correct inflation pressure for their E rated tire. He went on to explain that "the engineers" have updates the inflation specs for their E, F and G rated tires to 95, 110 and 116 respectively.
After I explained my light trailer weight with this tire combo he recommended running at least 85psi but to "keep an eye out for what works best for me".
I currently have them at 80psi... I'll add 5psi and call it a day. Hitting the trail to the beach this coming weekend!
Old 10-18-2017, 06:46 AM   #11
Desert185

-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 10:23 AM   #12
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Thanks for the replies everyone!
I went to this size tire because I want more flotation on the beach and for off-road use. I still have plenty of clearance all around and the extra capacity is a bonus too.
I ended up calling the phone number on the sidewall and got Kenda tires on the line. I was then connected to a gentleman with the Load Star tire division.
He assured me that 95psi is the correct inflation pressure for their E rated tire. He went on to explain that "the engineers" have updates the inflation specs for their E, F and G rated tires to 95, 110 and 116 respectively.
After I explained my light trailer weight with this tire combo he recommended running at least 85psi but to "keep an eye out for what works best for me".
I currently have them at 80psi... I'll add 5psi and call it a day. Hitting the trail to the beach this coming weekend!

If you still have the original valve stems I'd want them changed to metal. When I had a Cougar I changed the tires to LR F and to metal valves. Ran at 95 cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 11:25 AM   #13
Jonas

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
If you still have the original valve stems I'd want them changed to metal. When I had a Cougar I changed the tires to LR F and to metal valves. Ran at 95 cold.

Hmmm.... good point.
These tires and wheels were ordered online as a package from etrailer and delivered as seen in the pic below. I have an inquiry about this pending with etrailers online question department.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:37 AM   #14
CaptnJohn

I cannot tell the valve stems from the picture but if they came with 95 psi tires they should have arrived with metal stems

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
Old 10-18-2017, 12:04 PM   #15
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
I cannot tell the valve stems from the picture but if they came with 95 psi tires they should have arrived with metal stems

Looks like them hybrid valve stems... rubber in the wheel and metal top... Had them in my old trailer... took 'em out and replaced them full metal bolt-in .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tr600.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	233.5 KB
ID:	14366  
Old 10-19-2017, 03:48 AM   #16
Jonas

Quote:
These tires and wheels were ordered online as a package from etrailer and delivered as seen in the pic below. I have an inquiry about this pending with etrailers online question department.
Well... here's the official answer to my question from etrailer... https://www.etrailer.com/question-257447.html?fb=yes

Question:
I bought this tire and wheel combo AM32734 for my 4700lb GVWR single axle camper trailer. Should I inflate to the max of 95psi for my weight? Should I upgrade the valve stems? They appear to be part number AM20904 that are only rated for 80 psi. Thanks!
asked by: Walter L
Expert Reply:
You will want to inflate the tires to the max psi that the tires have. Trailer tires always need to be inflated to their max pressure to ensure you get their full capacity whereas the max psi rating for a wheel is just how much in total it can handle.

The limiting factor for a wheel is typically the valve stem so you would need to determine it's capacity.

If you need higher rated stems we have the part # AM20906 which is good for over 100 psi.

The part # AM32734 does come with the correct valve stem though for the psi.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:53 PM   #17
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Well... here's the official answer to my question from etrailer... https://www.etrailer.com/question-257447.html?fb=yes

Question:

I bought this tire and wheel combo AM32734 for my 4700lb GVWR single axle camper trailer. Should I inflate to the max of 95psi for my weight? Should I upgrade the valve stems? They appear to be part number AM20904 that are only rated for 80 psi. Thanks!

asked by: Walter L

Expert Reply:

You will want to inflate the tires to the max psi that the tires have. Trailer tires always need to be inflated to their max pressure to ensure you get their full capacity whereas the max psi rating for a wheel is just how much in total it can handle.

The limiting factor for a wheel is typically the valve stem so you would need to determine it's capacity.

If you need higher rated stems we have the part # AM20906 which is good for over 100 psi.

The part # AM32734 does come with the correct valve stem though for the psi.

Good news unless the stems really are like the one in the photo with rubber. I like etrailer but what others feel comfortable with is at times just a little less than I prefer.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW