Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2018, 03:20 PM   #1
ADQ K9

Wood or metal stud for TV mount?

There are hookups for a TV in the bedroom of my TT wall is shared with bathroom and there is nothing on the other side but where the door slides. The question is where to mount the TV bracket? I know the outer walls have Aluminum studs but what do the inner walls have? I am only mounting a small 19" TV DVD combo that I have laying around. It would be nice if I could use a stud finder and that would be a no brainer also would be advisible to get a special RV mount or just a regular wall mount?
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 03:55 PM   #2
KHBama

I’m assuming you have no sticker showing you where the stud is? You should be able to knock on the wall below the antenna/cable hookup to find the stud. Just find that solid sound and that should be the stud
KHBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 03:57 PM   #3
KHBama

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADQ K9 View Post
There are hookups for a TV in the bedroom of my TT wall is shared with bathroom and there is nothing on the other side but where the door slides. The question is where to mount the TV bracket? I know the outer walls have Aluminum studs but what do the inner walls have? I am only mounting a small 19" TV DVD combo that I have laying around. It would be nice if I could use a stud finder and that would be a no brainer also would be advisible to get a special RV mount or just a regular wall mount?
I bought a regular wall mount off amazon for $20 for our 24” tv in our bedroom and it’s been fine so far. About 8 months in and about 10 trips. It survived an 8 hour drive to and back from Fort Wilderness.
KHBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 04:07 PM   #4
KeithInUpstateNY

In my Bullet the internal studs were metal as well.

Often the TV mount is a piece of plywood that is in between studs, so a stud finder doesn't work. There is an app that will let you use your phone camera to see virtually anything inside a wall, but it is not cheap. As noted sometimes you can tell by the sound, but often it is necessary to make your best guess and drill an exploratory hole with the smallest bit you have (do a Google search for your model, sometimes you can find pics of where the mounting sticker was). If you have a plywood backer the length of the screw is less important than the size and thread.

2015 Bullet 220RBI
2019 Chevy Colorado extended cab V6 3.6 liter
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:17 AM   #5
ADQ K9

Probabaly gonna find a mount locally this weekend and install begining of next week will let Y'all know how it goes, have some work to do on the house this weekend.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:00 AM   #6
ADQ K9

Wow picked up a mount locally (Omni Mount OS50F) This thing has 3" lag screws, think I am gonna have to put something a little shorter in or they will go through the wall. Wall anchors are also supplied but I am gonna be looking for that stud. There was no label saying where the stud or mount is on the wall and we bought new. So it was either never there or removed during the PDI.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:28 PM   #7
ADQ K9

Tapped on the wall today sounds like there is a board about the center 5 ' to 6' up the hookups are in the upper right corner gonna tackle the project tomorrow.
Old 08-22-2018, 05:08 PM   #8
Snoking

I mounted a 32" TV in the bedroom of our new Laredo 225MK today. I found that there was plywood inside the wall just below the cable and power outlets.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180822_124543.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	230.6 KB
ID:	18181  
Old 08-24-2018, 09:30 AM   #9
ADQ K9

Mounted the TV last night think there is a backing board in my wall too, Not gettin a signal on the coax from the wall though at least that's what is displayed on the TV. Thought It should be plug and play.
Old 08-26-2018, 12:41 PM   #10
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADQ K9 View Post
Mounted the TV last night think there is a backing board in my wall too, Not gettin a signal on the coax from the wall though at least that's what is displayed on the TV. Thought It should be plug and play.
Are you trying to receive OTA channels from the roof antenna, cable from a park, or Sat channels?

For OTA and Cable you hook the TV to the output with the antenna power supply/button. On for OTA and off for cable. For Sat there normally is a second outlet.

BTW, you have to put the TV in to station scan for OTA or Cable and then scan to load them into the TV.

Chris
Old 08-26-2018, 04:56 PM   #11
ADQ K9

Sno King,
Trying to get the OTA channels. The coax output in the bedroom is not labeled. I have another coax panel behind the living room TV with dual outputs. that is not labeled Thinking I need to get a spliter from the antenna booster feed and tie in to one of the other coax plugs. One is probably from the Cable/Park input on the outside the other probably goes to the bedroom. Just have to play around with it when I have time.
Old 08-26-2018, 07:09 PM   #12
Snoking

Which location has the roof antenna power supply with the button and light that comes on when it is on.

Normally(???) the cable input goes to the power supply/outlet in the bedroom. This unit has the spliter built into it, with the outlet on the front for the bedroom TV and three connections on the rear. 1. Antenna, 2. Cable input for outside and 3. Cable in the LR TV. Sometimes these cables do not get connected to the right ports. Do you have a LR TV that is working on the OTA antenna?

Also it you made up the cable from the wall plate to the BR TV you may that is short or open with it. Do you have an addition cable to try. 2nd also, is the new BR TV input set to TV verses HDMI etc. Chris
Old 08-31-2018, 02:16 PM   #13
ADQ K9

Living area has the Antenna booster hooked up to the TV. There is also a plate with two coax outputs behind the TV with one short cable connecting the two. TV in front bed is set to Air not cable, with one coax output. Not gonna have a chance to get back to the trailer till after the 17th of Sept

Tags
tv mount