Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2018, 03:55 AM   #1
Bohdan

Refrigerator in Transit

Greetings All, I just researched that the absorption refrigerators need to be level to act properly. Learned that (I think) this weekend on an inaugural trip to the campground. Even though I though the 5th wheel was level. Cam home on to a perfectly level concrete pad and ..Voila.. It works. What about in transit? Is it normal for it to run on propane during travel? Mighty Obliged.
Bohdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 04:11 AM   #2
5J's

We leave ours running while we're in route. Never had a problem.

2017 Hideout 308BHDS

2006 F-350 6.0L PSD CC 4X4
5J's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 04:25 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Your fridge needs to be level when it is sitting, otherwise you can develop “puddles” in the corners becoming blockages. While traveling, everything is getting shaken like an earthquake so you won’t have any puddles. There are regions of the US that require ALL propane be turned off while traveling across a bridge or going through a tunnel. Check with local authorities, otherwise we too travel with the refer on.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 04:28 AM   #4
14george

Travel with on had no problems
14george is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 05:03 AM   #5
Laredo Tugger

I travel with the fridge on (propane) as well. Only risk I have heard of is in the event of an accident you sever the active propane line and the hazards related to that.
An auto shutoff valve would be the solution here,but not sure if one even exist.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 06:43 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
I travel with the fridge on (propane) as well. Only risk I have heard of is in the event of an accident you sever the active propane line and the hazards related to that.
An auto shutoff valve would be the solution here,but not sure if one even exist.
RMc

There is, or should be in the “pig tails” between the cylinder and the regulator.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 06:56 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
There is, or should be in the “pig tails” between the cylinder and the regulator.
And the tanks themselves as well.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:35 AM   #8
Laredo Tugger

K. Then travel with flowing propane is not a problem due to the above mentioned safety features. Good to know,thanks.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:38 AM   #9
Ken / Claudia

I have since I started RVing about 40 years ago. But, if the air temps are cool or cold outside or a short trip say 3-4 hours I have also found things stay cold inside with it off as long as your not opening the refer. When filling with gas I would turn it off.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 02:44 AM   #10
Bohdan

Thanks for the advice. That is what I will do. Propane in transit with exceptions as noted. Cheers
Bohdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 05:24 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

Turning it off during fueling has been argued ad nauseum previously on this forum. I can't for the life of me understand the danger of an ignition source that's maybe 10 feet away if it's in the front and typically much further away. That ignition source is also several feet above the ground. If I pulled up to a fuel pump and the gasoline fumes were that strong I'd leave immediately as any static discharge, say sliding across the seat and touching metal in very dry air, could be disastrous. But then again, many people still believe the urban legend of the cell phone causing a gas station explosion. YMMV.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 07:26 AM   #12
LuvsPalmTrees

For over 30 years we have traveled with ours on. Fuel up and everything with it on. Summers can get pretty hot and it takes a refridge a long time to cool down so 3 days before we leave, it gets turned on and stays on until we are unpacking at home.

I agree with flybouy if the fumes are that bad then something is wrong and get out of there.
LuvsPalmTrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:10 AM   #13
travelin texans

I'm far less concerned about yours/my refrigerator on LP at a gas station than the guy next to me smoking while on the phone filling his portable gas can.
Spent the last 16 years working around flammable products & cell phones can ignite gasoline, very rare, although if all criteria would have to be perfect.
Filling a portable gas can is very hazardous unless you ground the nozzle to the can before fueling.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:41 AM   #14
jkohler70

I wouldn't worry about the guy smoking. Those movie scenes where a guy flicks a cigarette into a pool of gas are bunk. Cigarettes barely produce enough heat to ignite gasoline (when being sucked on). Pour gasoline on he ground and throw a cigarette into it and it will be extinguished.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:09 AM   #15
travelin texans

We had fire safety training at work & the instructor had a 5 gallon bucket full of gasoline, walked up with a lit cigarette & slowly pushed into the bucket, cigarette extinguished, stepped back a few feet & flicked a lit cigarette at the bucket hitting the rim & boom, the embers ignited the vapors. So yes, if by chance all 3 of the fire triangle items are just right a cigarette at the gas pump CAN cause a fire & I WILL tell you to extinguish it if you're the guy next to me smoking at the pump.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 09:30 AM   #16
JimSchwenk

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Your fridge needs to be level when it is sitting, otherwise you can develop “puddles” in the corners becoming blockages. While traveling, everything is getting shaken like an earthquake so you won’t have any puddles. There are regions of the US that require ALL propane be turned off while traveling across a bridge or going through a tunnel. Check with local authorities, otherwise we too travel with the refer on.
Yep, the constant movement keeps things working fine.
I've always kept ours set on "auto," ever since they came out with that feature. It runs on AC until power is cut, then switches to the 12v batteries and propane.

The last few years, mine's been parked at the campground when it's not on the road, so the fridge is on 24-7 from late winter to late fall, when I shut it off, wipe things down, and block it open an inch or two for storage. I've had no refrigerator problems, sitting still, or rolling.
JimSchwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 02:19 PM   #17
brodiegg

Am a newbie but got confused with all the controversies about propane tanks open while driving. So I turn the refer to electric when towing
brodiegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 03:21 PM   #18
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

I wish my fridge worked on 12 volt then its a no brainer. Driving with propane is safe enough I guess considering propane powered vehicles. I don't see the point of leaving fridge on though unless your on a all day journey. We recently travelled 4+ hrs... filled a cooler with ice packs and food from home...not to mention the other cooler with beer and ice Once at the site turn on the fridge...2-3 hrs later load up the fridge with some still frozen meat. For the way home freeze those ice packs again and bring out the cooler. Works for us
RagingRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 03:48 PM   #19
Gegrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Turning it off during fueling has been argued ad nauseum previously on this forum. I can't for the life of me understand the danger of an ignition source that's maybe 10 feet away if it's in the front and typically much further away. That ignition source is also several feet above the ground. If I pulled up to a fuel pump and the gasoline fumes were that strong I'd leave immediately as any static discharge, say sliding across the seat and touching metal in very dry air, could be disastrous. But then again, many people still believe the urban legend of the cell phone causing a gas station explosion. YMMV.
Yep, my thoughts pretty much exactly. Growing up in the 90s we took a 4,000 mile vacation over summer with mid 80s technology on the fridge and those were considered safe to travel with propane on then. If fumes are heavy when you enter a station, you have FAR bigger problems on your hand than the fridge propane.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 04:31 PM   #20
retiredusps69

Not me or my kids

I rode in enough cattle cars in the army standing up not easy to do.Many of the guys came out bruised and cut up.It is like being in a fun house with the moving floors. Sort of like a subway or bus.

I drove gasoline for 25 years, Loading, unloading at terminals and stations you can not convince me to leave refrig. running while fueling.I have seen gas cans go up from static elec.Worst is when they are in the bed of pickup with a bed liner. they do not ground. I had a under ground tank catch on fire while unloading.I don't know if it was static elec. or someone tossed a cig on the bus stop.Warm muggy day everything was just right.Some gas terminals banned drivers from wearing nylon jackets,Vests,Any thing nylon.Had a terminal in NJ blow when a tank over flowed and the fumes were caught by a factory near by.I have had my scares in life do what you want but I will shut it down
retiredusps69 is offline   Reply With Quote