Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-12-2018, 06:54 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I do the same as flybouy and I leave the truck idling while I do my checks. I feel this is VITAL to turbo health. Cutting off a hot turbo will "cook the oil" in the bearings and lead to early turbo failure. Every Owner's Manual I've ever read warns to idle the engine after heavy use to allow the turbo to cool down prior to engine shutdown. In fact, some truck brands offer an optional "engine idle program" that allows you to remove the key and the truck will automatically shut down after a specific time elapses.

It just makes sense (to me, anyway) to let the turbo cool down, check the tires, lights and security of hitch and all accessories (awning, slides, bumper, doors, etc) at every stop.
JRTJH I omitted that part of the process but I also let it idle. At rest stops the DW goes potty while I do my walk around. Then I walk the 2 Brittney Spaniels. By that time she returns and I go to the relief station ( we use the camper's, one of the things we liked is the outside bathroom door, easy access ). Then we're back on the road, everyone refreshed!
Edit - forgot to mention but if the road was particularly rough or winding I'll open the front door and have a look see to make sure things are where they belong. Don't want a partially dislodged tv mount or can of beans to become a ping pong ball inside. Maybe it's overkill but I look at it protecting my investment .

Tags
tires