Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2013, 10:28 PM   #1
barchak

Towing capacity concern

Hello. I have a 2011 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 4WD 5.7L V8 FF and a 2013 Laredo 303TG. I just got the trailer about 3 weeks ago. I took it to the CAT Scales this weekend and I have a concern about the weights. Given the below weigh-in and truck ratings, I think I am over Tundra's capacity. The parameter I am most concerned about is the GVWR of the Tundra. I was surprised to see the truck with tongue weight at 7,000 lbs. This is with no one in the truck. If I add myself, wife, two kids and dog this will put me at about 7,600 lbs.

I have had the trailer out for several trips 1-2 hours away and the truck did very well. I was really pleased with how the truck responded to the trailer. My wife said she wanted to start bringing our bikes and this is when I started to get concerned about the added weight. I started looking closer at how much weight I could add. This is one of the reasons I took it out to weigh.

Now I am considering my options. I know I screwed this one up guys and it is going to end up costing me. I am not happy with myself and I am looking to get your thoughts on my situation. I did a lot of research before buying the trailer, but obviously not enough. I was most concerned with the max trailer capacity of the Tundra and the GCWR.

We love the trailer and it fits all of our needs. I am considering upgrading the truck to a Ford F-250 or Ram 2500.

Questions:
Am I way out of spec here with the Tundra?
Do I need a heavier WD spring set-up? 9000*0.15=1350 do I need 1400lbs springs?
Can I just replace the springs in the Eaz-Lift?

Here are the facts:

CAT Scales (no driver or passengers, trailer with about 4 gallons of antifreeze, 40 lbs LP, stocked with all travel items except clothes and food)
GVW Truck 7,000 lbs (truck axles only with tongue weight of trailer, full tank of gas)
GVW Trailer 6,900 lbs (trailer axles only connected to truck)
GCW 13,900 lbs (truck and trailer)

Tundra (with Reese electronic break control, towing package)
GCWR 15,300 lbs
GVWR 7,200 lbs
RGAWR 4,100 lbs
TAW 9,000 lbs

Eaz-Lift WD Hitch
1,000 lbs springs
10,000 lbs max tow

Laredo 303TG
GVWR 9000 lbs
UVW 7,420 lbs

Thank you,
Ed

Ed Barchak
barchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:39 AM   #2
Mark TC

I had a F150 and a Hideout camper then went to have service work done on the Hideout and traded up to a Outback. On the trip home the Outback caught the wind and it jerked the truck. I was at the top or just over my limit for towing so I started looking for a bigger truck. Here is a link for Ford trucks. I went looking for a F250 but got a F350 due to the rebates on the 2013 trucks were a lot better. I got a F350 Lariat with the 6.2 engine and 3.73 rear end that stickers for $52000 and. I paid about $43000

http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/g...superdtypu.pdf

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Mark TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:45 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

We previously had a Springdale 242 fifth wheel and Ford F150. We were within all the weight limits (just barely) and every trip was a hassle trying to determine what NOT to take along. Most of our camping is without hookups, so full water/propane tanks and dual batteries are essential. That meant leaving the wooden chocks/blocks behind, buying plastic and many other "compromise" camping items. Although we managed to keep the truck's GVW below the limit, it was always "just barely below" and I always felt uneasy with the "what if's".

It sounds like you're line of thinking is much the same as mine was with that rig. When we traded, I decided to get as F250 and now feel much better about towing. While we "did it" with the lighter truck, every trip was focused on keeping the weight down. Now, if I want to "throw in more firewood" or ??? I've got the capacity to do it without having to decide what to take out....

If you're really concerned, you already know what you need to do, and if you're looking for a "confirming opinion" Yes, I agree, you're at/over your truck's GVW already, there's no extra for bikes, generator or even firewood.... I think you'd feel better with a heavier truck, I know you'd tow better..... Good luck.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:20 PM   #4
theeyres

Sort of think you have answered your own question. That's a lot of trailer for a 1/2ton. Did I miss it, or am I blind, but I don't see anywhere what your tongue weight is? Anyway you work it I can't believe that the tongue weight of that trailer plus the stuff in the bed, plus the extra weight in the cab isn't going to be way over the limit of the truck.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:55 AM   #5
Bigsky3625

Smile

Do yourself a big favor and upgrade your truck. If you can swing get a 3500 diesel. You won't be sorry and it will give you room to get that upgraded 5er your wife will want.
One Wife

Bigsky3625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:48 AM   #6
SAABDOCTOR

Hi there i was in the same boat way back! The first time I towed at the max for my 1/2ton scared the .... out of me and i was not over loaded! Now we have a 1 ton diesel. the reason? Well as bigsky stated, I now pull the 5er the wife wanted! It's gonna happen trust me
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:05 PM   #7
fla-gypsy

There is no way out of your dilemma other than upgrading. In the meantime make certain you do not exceed the GAWR for both axles, this is the most critical of the ratings. That is not to downplay the other ratings, they are all important.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:42 PM   #8
summerhummer

Congrats on the new camper. It sure is a nice one and I am considering the same one. There is something that doesn't seem right about this. I am no expert but I looked at this trailers weights. It looks like your tongue weight is about 600 loaded but I assumed it would be higher than that. The book for what it is worth lists tongue @ about 900. Well I have not figured it out yet but something seems awry. You should have had one more weight ticket with just the trailer (time & line permitting) to get your actual tongue weight. Anyway perhaps it doesn't matter it seems the trucks payload is limiting. How do you measure rear axle weight? Perhaps roll with less gas. You didn't state what was in your Fresh water tanks did you have a lot of stuff in there? You aid ready to camp except food & clothes so I assume you had something in there. Looks like y'all may go camping with the truck and you and the wife and kids following behind in another vehicle. I know that is a hard pill to swallow. Dealers should let you hook up and go to the scale before we sign. I am facing a similar situation already have the 3/4truck just want to be comfortable and have some margin. I am eying the 320 TG which is a little heavier total weight of 9500. I am not trying to upgrade the truck.
summerhummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:13 AM   #9
FullTimer

Do you use tension bars and an anti sway? If not, until you upgrade the truck, I would. That's a whole lot of trailer for a 1/2 ton, even a 5/8's ton. You state tongue weight is 7K? That can't be right I wouldn't think. Here's some more specs for this.
http://www.moderntrailer.com/rv/ande...e+laredo+303tg
Shipping Weight 7,565 lbs
Carrying Capacity 1,435 lbs
Hitch 880 lbs
Length 35' 8''
Height 11' 1''
Fresh Water 43 gal
Waste Water 30 gal
Grey Water 30 gal
LPG 60 gal
Tire Size ST225/75R15D
FullTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:50 PM   #10
barchak

Thanks for all the feedback. As several of you said, I had already answered my own question. I have replaced the Tundra with a 2013 F-250 XLT 4x4 6.7L Powerstroke. What a step up!

I towed the trailer today for the first time after breaking in the engine. What a world of difference. My wife said I can't even tell the trailer is back there. We were not worried about what to bring and what to leave behind.

We drove through some pretty decent storms on our way to Little Rock this evening and the 250 did a great job handling the trailer. I am even getting almost 4 miles per gallon more than the Tundra which was just over 9mpg and the 250 was averaging 13mpg and that was only on highway for about half of the route.

I am so glad I upgraded the truck! I feel so much better driving the 250.

Thanks,
Ed

Ed Barchak
barchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:08 PM   #11
Ken / Claudia

Welcome to the oil burner tow vehicle club.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 12:22 AM   #12
Western Traveler

Ed,
The same conclusion I came to this week after towing my TT for the first time with an F150. Currently shopping F250 diesels.
Enjoy!
Western Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:13 AM   #13
FullTimer

Great move! Now that worry is put behind you.
FullTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 03:23 AM   #14
Mark TC

I think you will be happy with your new Ford. Ford builds a Great Truck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Mark TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:26 AM   #15
Outbackmel

Congrats

Congrats on the new truck. One feature we LOVE on our Dodge 6.7 is not only the power, BUT, that engine braking...WOW...pulling our 5er down hill on a 5% grade I actually have to accelerate from time to time! Hardly ever touch the brakes going down hills.

Enjoy!
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 05:05 AM   #16
fla-gypsy

You made the right choice in upgrading to a compatible tow vehicle for your camper. Good choice!
Old 01-03-2014, 07:12 PM   #17
golfpro

get a bigger truck. you will be adding the bikes and then she will think of something else and the weight keeps going up and up. I had a 1/2 ton for years and it towed very well then got a 98' 1/2 ton and it was not a good towing truck. young girl ran into the side of the 98 and so I bought a 3/4 ton and I will never go back to a 1/2 for towing again. difference of night and day towing.
golfpro is offline   Reply With Quote