Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2024, 09:20 AM   #1
Joe1969

Westinghouse Generator Issue, Batter Charge

I have a Westinghouse igen4500 DF (dual fuel) generator. It runs and produces power. It is a couple years old.

The battery was not holding a charge. I replaced it. I started it via the electric start and ran it a few hours. Turned it off a couple hours and then turned it on again with the remote, just to test it — all good.

Left it off over night and this morning the on/off switch was not illuminated. The generator would not start via the electric start or the remote. It seemed the battery lost its charge overnight.

I was able to easily manual (pull) start it.

Anyone know why the battery isn’t holding a charge? Is there an ultimate awesome generator battery to use that holds a charge for long periods and in extreme cold?

Side note - It makes a “beep” sound about every 5 minutes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8381.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	257.5 KB
ID:	46405  
Joe1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 01:20 PM   #2
GlasNav

From what you have stated, it sounds more like something in the circuitry of the generator controls is draining the battery when not in use.

Is the master switch off and key off?

2021 Cougar 25RDS
2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn, Mega Cab, DRW,
Cummins 6.7 HO, Aisin 6 Spd HD, 4x4
GlasNav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 01:31 PM   #3
Joe1969

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlasNav View Post
From what you have stated, it sounds more like something in the circuitry of the generator controls is draining the battery when not in use.

Is the master switch off and key off?
The master switch is on, it needs to be for the remote to work. The idea when boon docking is to be able to turn the unit on/off from inside. I don’t think the master switch being on should matter, should it? I am not aware of any “key” on the unit.
Old 03-16-2024, 02:01 PM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe1969 View Post
The master switch is on, it needs to be for the remote to work. The idea when boon docking is to be able to turn the unit on/off from inside. I don’t think the master switch being on should matter, should it? I am not aware of any “key” on the unit.
In order for any remote to work there bust be a receiver that's energized waiting to receive a signal from the remote. How much power is used while in "stand by" would be the question.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 02:03 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Ii thnk you have two things going on. First the battery is probably damaged from being discharged more than a time or two. Next, the master switch being left on will run down the battery after a while. How long depends both on the battery charge level and condition.

If the master switch is ON, then the generator receiver is ON and using battery power to monitor for a signal from the remote. That can discharge your battery over time. It's probably OK for an overnight, but if you have the master switch ON for more than that, with the small battery on those type generators, there's just not enough "battery power" to keep the master switch "monitoring systems" working for an extended time frame....

Turn the master switch on when you're using the remote and turn it off when you're not going to use the remote in the next few hours.

Also, if the battery has discharged more than for a time or two, or if it has been "dead for an extended time frame" then you've likely destroyed or damaged the battery and it probably won't hold a charge for an extended time frame. You may need a new battery and turn the master switch off unless the generator is "in use" to keep the battery charged.

You might consider the master switch being ON much like leaving your car headlights ON. Your car would be OK for a short time, but will discharge the battery if you leave the lights on indefinitely. Same with the master switch on the generator

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 04:37 PM   #6
Joe1969

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Ii thnk you have two things going on. First the battery is probably damaged from being discharged more than a time or two. Next, the master switch being left on will run down the battery after a while. How long depends both on the battery charge level and condition.

If the master switch is ON, then the generator receiver is ON and using battery power to monitor for a signal from the remote. That can discharge your battery over time. It's probably OK for an overnight, but if you have the master switch ON for more than that, with the small battery on those type generators, there's just not enough "battery power" to keep the master switch "monitoring systems" working for an extended time frame....

Turn the master switch on when you're using the remote and turn it off when you're not going to use the remote in the next few hours.

Also, if the battery has discharged more than for a time or two, or if it has been "dead for an extended time frame" then you've likely destroyed or damaged the battery and it probably won't hold a charge for an extended time frame. You may need a new battery and turn the master switch off unless the generator is "in use" to keep the battery charged.

You might consider the master switch being ON much like leaving your car headlights ON. Your car would be OK for a short time, but will discharge the battery if you leave the lights on indefinitely. Same with the master switch on the generator
Is there a battery type/brand you recommend?
Old 03-16-2024, 06:05 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Is there a battery type/brand you recommend?
The type/size is REQUIRED for the specific generator and found in the owner's manual. DO NOT BUY A LITHIUM BATTERY !!! They have a BMS that limits discharge current and that BMS can (maybe will) be damaged by the current draw required for an internal combustion engine starter.

As for brand, I'd just go to WalMart or Auto Zone or Amazon and buy a replacement lead acid battery. The cheapest place to buy the specified battery (model number/type in your owner's manual) is where I'd buy. If you get a couple years out of the battery, you're ahead over buying a "better battery" at twice the price that lasts 3 years.... Then, keep it charged and when in storage, disconnect the battery from the generator and put it on a charger monthly.

Remember, these little batteries typically only last a couple years, with the "use/abuse" from long term storage, high amp draw when in use and limited recharge capacity is not an ideal situation for long term battery life.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 10:41 AM   #8
Stangfire

Have you been leaving it "on" overnight for the past few years you have owned it? if so that can't be draining the battery. Unless you got a defective battery.
Stangfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 11:34 AM   #9
foldbak

My question would be, is it charging at all? Put a volt meter on the battery, start the unit and see if the voltage jumps. If it doesn't then it's not charging. If it does then you have a parasitic drain.

Tony & Donna & Murphy
2022 Montana HC 295RL, Solar Flex 400, Onan 3600 LPG, 2000 inverter, 200AH Lithium, 2020 GMC Denali 2500 6.6 Duramax, 10 speed Alison Trans, Demco 21K Auto Slide
foldbak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator