Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2018, 02:50 PM   #1
raybo

converter fan keeps running

Hey Guys , i have a strange situation where the fan on my converter is continually running even when I do not have the 120VAC coming in via my genny. This normally would not be an issue except I wont be there for the next 2 weeks and my batteries will only be maintained by a 40W solar panel. couldnt find this issue in previous threads. Am I missing something obvious? Thx
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 04:43 PM   #2
roadglide

Poor week batteries
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 06:41 PM   #3
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide View Post
Poor week batteries
^^^^^ what he said
Old 09-24-2018, 08:37 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

I maybe wrong but I think the converter fan should only be running if the unit is plugged into 120 vac and the battery is charging or some other 12 vdc load is causing the converter to heat up enough to call for cooling.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:57 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I maybe wrong but I think the converter fan should only be running if the unit is plugged into 120 vac and the battery is charging or some other 12 vdc load is causing the converter to heat up enough to call for cooling.

^^^^Are you sure it is the converter fan? I'm pretty sure it doesn't run unless you have 120vac connected and you said it was disconnected? The fan doesn't run off the batteries as far as I know so something else seems to be going on. Now IF you are plugged in to a source of AC power and the fan continually runs when you have no DC appliances on then you need to check your batteries.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 10:39 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
^^^^Are you sure it is the converter fan? I'm pretty sure it doesn't run unless you have 120vac connected and you said it was disconnected? The fan doesn't run off the batteries as far as I know so something else seems to be going on. Now IF you are plugged in to a source of AC power and the fan continually runs when you have no DC appliances on then you need to check your batteries.
X2 on sourdough's comments. If your connected to shore power (doesn't matter if plugged into pedestal or generator) and the fan is running with nothing running continuously then you have a battery issue. Some clarification would help us help you.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:28 PM   #7
MattE303

It could be the converter, mine went bad and the 2 symptoms were inconsistent, incomplete battery charging, and fans running continuously when no shore power and no 12v draw. WFCO replaced it on warranty and the new one is working fine so far, fans only run when they should and batteries get a good charge (same batteries).

2002 Ford F350 7.3 Super Duty XLT 4x4 CC LB SRW -- Pullrite Super 5th 16K
2017 Keystone Carbon 337
2022 Honda CRF-450R
MattE303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 02:14 AM   #8
notanlines

I crave to have someone sharper than me (easy on the comments) explain to me how the fan in the converter can continue to run when shore power has been terminated. Is it possible that the cooling fan is 12 volt and continues to operate until the unit reaches the appropriate temperature using 12 volts coming BACK from the original source, the RV batteries?
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 03:12 AM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

If the fan is 12vdc it should not run unless the unit is providing 12vdc and sufficient heat builds up to trigger the thermistor or whatever device is used to activate the fan.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:01 AM   #10
raybo

that is my thinking also...I guess I have to assume that as Matt said it is FUBAR and spring for a new unit
Old 09-26-2018, 09:03 AM   #11
raybo

I am not plugged into an AC supply and there is not a DC draw except for fridge controller, smoke alarm ect..
Old 09-26-2018, 09:32 AM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybo View Post
I am not plugged into an AC supply and there is not a DC draw except for fridge controller, smoke alarm ect..
To my knowledge the only thing that should trigger the fan is heat and the only source for sufficient heat generation to trigger the fan would be the converter running off of ac to run loads or charge the battery. I don't know where they set the threshold but I'd think it would be above ambient to the point of not triggering unless it's charging. You could contact them and ask at https://wfcoelectronics.com/contact/
Old 09-26-2018, 10:09 AM   #13
wiredgeorge

The fan is DC and runs through a thermostat (I think 130 or 140F). If it runs all the time without there being a lot of heat generated by voltage through the circuit breakers or possibly the cabin being REALLY warm, then the thermostat is likely messed up. At least that is how mine works. I put an additional fan (120V AC) on my converter to ensure it doesn't overheat since the circuit breaker selection was kind of dumb... main 30A and A/C 20A adjacent. I have since switched the 20A from the microwave to the spot adjacent to the 30A main and moved the A/C next to the 15A GFI breaker and no more popping from heat on super hot days especially with the extra fan in place. I may even try and find a 30/15 and move the microwave (20A) next to a 15A.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 01:00 PM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
The fan is DC and runs through a thermostat (I think 130 or 140F). If it runs all the time without there being a lot of heat generated by voltage through the circuit breakers or possibly the cabin being REALLY warm, then the thermostat is likely messed up. At least that is how mine works. I put an additional fan (120V AC) on my converter to ensure it doesn't overheat since the circuit breaker selection was kind of dumb... main 30A and A/C 20A adjacent. I have since switched the 20A from the microwave to the spot adjacent to the 30A main and moved the A/C next to the 15A GFI breaker and no more popping from heat on super hot days especially with the extra fan in place. I may even try and find a 30/15 and move the microwave (20A) next to a 15A.

I think I need some clarification on the converter fan operation.

My fan only comes on if the AC is plugged in. If I'm running DC items they just run until they start running out of juice. As soon as I plug shore power in the converter will kick on and run hard (fan) until charge is back to normal. I'm assuming all do that? I don't recall our other RVs ever having an issue with one.

I've not taken one apart so I don't know if the fan is wired to the AC or DC side of the main board in the converter. I suppose it could be either one but mine doesn't come on until it has power. It could be that the fan is wired to the DC side which is not functional until the converter is powered up. Anyone know for sure? I've looked at schematics for an hour and a half but none show the wiring into the fan, just the main board. So in my situation the converter fan could not/would not run unless it had AC powering it up from my experience.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 08:54 AM   #15
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Wow that was dumb on Keystone's part. Maybe the installer was a numismatist and thought the numbers on the breakers should be arranged in descending order.
Old 09-27-2018, 08:57 AM   #16
MattE303

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I think I need some clarification on the converter fan operation.

My fan only comes on if the AC is plugged in. If I'm running DC items they just run until they start running out of juice. As soon as I plug shore power in the converter will kick on and run hard (fan) until charge is back to normal. I'm assuming all do that? I don't recall our other RVs ever having an issue with one.

I've not taken one apart so I don't know if the fan is wired to the AC or DC side of the main board in the converter. I suppose it could be either one but mine doesn't come on until it has power. It could be that the fan is wired to the DC side which is not functional until the converter is powered up. Anyone know for sure? I've looked at schematics for an hour and a half but none show the wiring into the fan, just the main board. So in my situation the converter fan could not/would not run unless it had AC powering it up from my experience.
The converter fan should only run when connected to AC (shore power or generator) and charging the battery but, at least in the case of my malfunctioning WFCO that was replaced, it definitely can run under those circumstances, so it must be powered from the DC side. I was able to hold the converter unit in my hands and could get the fan to start/stop just by tilting the unit different ways (again, no generator and no shore power present).

2002 Ford F350 7.3 Super Duty XLT 4x4 CC LB SRW -- Pullrite Super 5th 16K
2017 Keystone Carbon 337
2022 Honda CRF-450R
MattE303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 07:47 AM   #17
Bob Landry

The fan runs when there is a load on the converter. It's easy enough to disconnect a battery cable to determine if that is what is putting a load on the converter and causing the fan to run constantly.
Even when connected to shore power, my converter fan only turns on when there is a DC load on it such as all of the overhead lights.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 05:10 AM   #18
Nomadicchefs

I know this thread is a little bit old but my converter fan is doing the same. I am connected to shore power, full timing. I have nothing running except the furnace. When I woke up this am, my tv outlet was dead. I open the box and flip the (15)switch for it on again and the fan has been running ever since. My setup is similar to what others have posted. My top breaker is the main (30amp) then in order top to bottom: AC 20, GFI 15, MICRO 20, REC/CON (tv outlet) 15, and WATER HEATER 15. It runs quietly then very hard, like it has in the past right before it shuts off, except now it's not shutting off. I have great fear of fire and this just makes me incredibly nervous. Checked the battery, no problem there, nothing major is drawing power. I have a surge protector outside at the pedestal as well.
Nomadicchefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 06:40 AM   #19
B-O-B'03

The converter is the "CON" part of the label for REC/CON circuit breaker, when that breaker tripped, the converter was no longer charging your battery.

If you were running the furnace, which draws a ton of power, for very long, after the breaker tripped, it is possible you depleted the battery bank. How old is the battery, they do not like being completely discharged.

There is also the possibility the converter has issues and that is what tripped the breaker in the first place.

This, from the post by Bob Landry is good advice:

"The fan runs when there is a load on the converter. It's easy enough to disconnect a battery cable to determine if that is what is putting a load on the converter and causing the fan to run constantly."

Unhook the battery, see if the fan goes off, if so the converter is trying to charge it and it might not be charging to the level the converter thinks is full.

-Brian
Old 03-15-2019, 07:12 AM   #20
Wingerdinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicchefs View Post
I know this thread is a little bit old but my converter fan is doing the same. I am connected to shore power, full timing. I have nothing running except the furnace. When I woke up this am, my tv outlet was dead. I open the box and flip the (15)switch for it on again and the fan has been running ever since. My setup is similar to what others have posted. My top breaker is the main (30amp) then in order top to bottom: AC 20, GFI 15, MICRO 20, REC/CON (tv outlet) 15, and WATER HEATER 15. It runs quietly then very hard, like it has in the past right before it shuts off, except now it's not shutting off. I have great fear of fire and this just makes me incredibly nervous. Checked the battery, no problem there, nothing major is drawing power. I have a surge protector outside at the pedestal as well.
If you have a meter, check the voltage at the battery with the convertor running. If the convertor is running hard, the fan will run fast, and the charge voltage will be at least 13.6 volts. That pretty much indicates your battery got depleted when the breaker tripped to the charger. I would wait 3-4 hours, and see what happens. To check the condition of your battery, disconnect the battery, wait several minutes for the battery to settle, and meter the voltage. A bad battery will be below 12.5volts DC or so.
When I bought my 18 month old RV, the previous owner had stored it unplugged, without doing any battery maintenance since new. That battery was shot at 1 1/2 years old. The batteries put in at the dealer are hopelessly poor anyway.
Wingerdinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter