Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-19-2017, 07:54 AM   #1
neveser

Poor campground mangement/Rude inconsiderate campers

Just thought I'd share something with you so you can possibly avoid this situation in the future...

We had reservations for Friday through Monday this weekend at Red Bluff Campgrounds here in Missouri. We left about 6:30 that evening (I get home about 5pm). We had about a 1 hour 45 minute drive so I figured we’d arrive with some light left. We got near the campground (about 15 miles) and ran into a detour. We took the detour and it went too far around. We ended up on the wrong side of the bridge that was out. We had to double back. This took about an hour. We stopped for gas and asked for directions to make sure we could get to the campground on the road we were on and that the bridge being out wouldn’t stop us from getting there. We ended up arriving at the campground after 10pm. It was pitch black. I drove to our site and someone was in it!!! Our name wasn’t even on the post! I thought something had happened to my reservation and it had not gone through. Thing is, I did receive a confirmation email. I didn’t know if the host was on site, I didn’t see any signs. The campground looked full so there was no place for me to pull in for the night. Needless to say, I was furious and confused. I pulled up to the campground entrance and sat there thinking in less than 2 hours I can be back home, in the AC, and finally eating dinner. My wife was so upset she was nearly in tears.

I drove home. Almost 5 hours on the road that night and there I was back in my own drive way with a fully loaded ready to camp trailer. I immediately went to my computer to look up my reservation and… everything was fine! My reservation was there and it was correct! That spot should have been ours!!!
I called the campground the next morning to see what happened. Turns out the people who had the space before us just decided to stay. The host never came around and told them they site was reserved. Our weekend was ruined because of some rude, completely inconsiderate campers and a lazy campground host. Check out time was 2pm, they should have been long gone by 10pm! How can anyone assume that a space in not going to be reserved on a Friday for the weekend??!!??!!

This was a reservation made through Reserve America. We normally stay at state parks. This is the last time we will try and stay at a federally run park. The state parks are run so much better here in Missouri.

The moral of my tale… always call the park on the day you leave to make sure all is well (and no one is squatting in your reserved spot). Had I called to check, this whole mess could have been avoided.

I’m glad I don’t have any more reservations at federally run parks this year, only state parks. No more Reserve America for us!!!

2014 19FBPR Bullet Premier
2004 Toyota 4Runner V8 4x4
neveser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground