Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2019, 02:52 PM   #1
Bignewsantafe

2016 3100RL Alpine Slide/iN-Command Problem

My slides cut out because the iN-Command system voltage drops below 10.5 volts and I have a new set of Lifeline GPL-6CT's and the voltage at the pump stays above 12 volts. Also put in a 50amp thermo breaker in for the pump. iN-Command say says it need to be hard wired to a manual switch and they will pay for it. Camping World want us to bring it in to check it out and then bring it back for the repair. That's 400 miles over 4 trips of driving and 4 days off of work to do it too!
Chuckster57 would you know what it would take to wire in the manual switch? I do wiring for work and very good a reading diagrams.
Has anyone else come down with this problem?

Thanks in advance.
Bignewsantafe
Allen

Bignewsantafe
2016 Alpine 3100RL
2015 GMC 2500HD SLT
Z71 4x4 Duramax/Allison
B&W Trailer Hitch
Bignewsantafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 03:13 PM   #2
ChuckS

Look at page 6 of this link to see where 12 volt signal is coming off BCM for signal to open or close the hydraulic slide solenoid valve

Only one valve for all hyd slides.

Also does the dual polarity solenoid on the hyd pump motor click when trying to use in command to operate slides

50 amp resettable breaker to dual polarity solenoid is not large enough.

That’s why slides are starting and stopping. Increase that resettable breaker to 80 amp per Lippert.

Link for BCM wiring ....

https://www.asaelectronics.com/media...2011302015.pdf

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 03:20 PM   #3
ChuckS

Also I don’t believe you need a separate switch to run those slides. The hyd solenoid valve for the slides doesn’t require a lot of current to open.

The dual polarity solenoid does however need a large amount of current to operate the hyd pump motor to drive the slides.

Also the BCM should already have a manual over ride switch to operate the slides in the event of BCM issue.

Install larger amp breaker from battery to dual polarity solenoid.

https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/...ulic_Pumps.pdf

Old 04-14-2019, 06:18 PM   #4
Bignewsantafe

Chuck, first thank you for the quick reply. Would have gotten back to you sooner but was reattaching the cable and gas line hanger that's under the kitchen slide above the tires as it broke loose and I'll bet I would have had a fire before I made it fifty miles from the house!
Anyway some answer to your questions;

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Also I don’t believe you need a separate switch to run those slides. The hyd solenoid valve for the slides doesn’t require a lot of current to open.
Is this the one mounted on the pump itself? I would rather not wire in a switch if I could get it to work like is should again.

The dual polarity solenoid does however need a large amount of current to operate the hyd pump motor to drive the slides.
With my clamp on amp meter on the pos; battery cable, I have seen 60+ amps of current when the pump runs.

Also the BCM should already have a manual over ride switch to operate the slides in the event of BCM issue.
This switch does nothing but make a couple relays on the DC to click. Pump doesn't run.

Install larger amp breaker from battery to dual polarity solenoid.
I have checked the 50 amp thermal breaker when the pump runs and kicks out and this breaker still has voltage to the load side.

https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/...ulic_Pumps.pdf
And on terminals 42 & 43 that have the signal for the slides the voltage starts out at 11.2vdc and drops when the pump runs. And the DC still has 12.8 volts at it's supply terminals.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190414_183053.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	661.9 KB
ID:	21401  

Bignewsantafe
2016 Alpine 3100RL
2015 GMC 2500HD SLT
Z71 4x4 Duramax/Allison
B&W Trailer Hitch
Old 04-14-2019, 06:43 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

I’m not going to much more help than what you’ve gotten so far. We don’t sell/service units with the in command system so I’m not that familiar with specific schematics.

What Chuck has said is on track, and I too don’t believe you need a separate switch.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 07:10 PM   #6
Bignewsantafe

Thanks for the reply Chuckster57! Was wondering if you and ChuckS were the same? Now I know.
But now the refrigerator, we started up earlier today was cooling off just fine but then after I fixed the cable and gas line hanger the fridge is flashing between the temp and LP. It had gotten down to 40* and is now back up to 50*. We were experiencing some trouble with it last fall before we put it away and now I don't remember what I did to fix it then? I swear we have had more trouble with this rig in two & half years than we did with the used Jag we had for 5!

Bignewsantafe
2016 Alpine 3100RL
2015 GMC 2500HD SLT
Z71 4x4 Duramax/Allison
B&W Trailer Hitch
Old 04-15-2019, 06:16 AM   #7
ChuckS

I own a 2014 Alpine and feel like Im pretty well versed in the hyd system and what it needs to run...

Here is a pic of the 3 of 4 solenoids in the hyd pump system...

The solenoid to the far right is the ONLy one for all hyd slides...I’d check voltage at this solenoid.. one side is DC power and other is common ground.. these are located up in your passenger side battery compartment looking up high toward the front.. the other solenoid not located here is on the passenger side front LG and is for both front legs

Does the hydraulic landing gear all function normal during raise, lower, and auto level? If so then issue is just with slide out circuit or DC load being presented to either the dual polarity solenoid or that 50 amp breaker

You may measure voltage on that “load side” of breaker but is the current carrying ability there at 50 amps...

I would absolutely upgrade that resettable breaker to 80 amps before continuing your trouble shooting

I’d also check the source signal to the dual polarity solenoid terminals for the hyd pump motor..

When your slides stop do you still have signal source at solenoid from slide out circuit?

Have you tested the dual polarity solenoid? Link for test procedure ....

https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/...y_Solenoid.pdf

My year Alpine did not have in command .. and aim glad...however I’m fairly well versed at troubleshooting the in command system as well

You stated you heard “clicks” when you pressure manual override switch on BCM for slideout. ...this tells me you have power to slide circuit and the clicks are the relay on the BCM

The voltage drop down to 11.2 volts you are measuring at the BCM terminals going to the slide solenoid is too low..

Anything below 11.6 volts and the system most likely won’t run...

Check voltage at the far right solenoid “black arrow” and see what you have when you select slides to operate...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	C6CB4C7B-D184-4941-9FD8-F6CC409F5EED.jpeg
Views:	184
Size:	343.3 KB
ID:	21412  

Old 04-15-2019, 06:28 AM   #8
ChuckS

Additional info that may help you... check for 12 volts signal source at the two small terminals on the dual polarity solenoid that provide DC power to CW or CCW rotation of the motor when commanded via slide lit signal line source.

Color coding of those wires should be as in this pic of manual switch used on earlier 2014 models

green and yellow wires are what should see 12 volts on one wire at a time depending on command sent from BCM terminals

This pic also gives you and idea of the manual switch wiring needed if you had to go that way.

My thoughts are...

... verify DC power is at hyd pump motor dual polarity terminal when commanded from BCM

... address the 11.2 volts signal your seeing...THIS sounds like a dirty or loose connection in that circuit

... swap out relay on BCM for slides...it could be dropping the signal
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BC0C6893-DECE-49FB-A5E4-991BF0FA49D9.jpeg
Views:	221
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	21413  

Old 04-15-2019, 06:43 AM   #9
ChuckS

Swap out relay on BCM circled in yellow... find the one for the slide circuit and swap it with another “like” relay from the BCM for trouble shooting purposes to verify relay is good. 12.8 at source on BCM input DC power and only 11.2 at output terminals of BCM slide circuit seems suspect to me
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	E40C4395-1B3D-4C0E-B4F3-9946D3F7D5B5.jpeg
Views:	255
Size:	297.2 KB
ID:	21414  

Old 04-15-2019, 07:01 AM   #10
ChuckS

I saw your post within post about fridge issues...why not post that issue in separate post here and these guys are really good on this site with their knowledge and expertise...they’ll steer you in the right direction

Old 04-15-2019, 07:16 AM   #11
Ddubya

Have you checked all electrical connections? A loose or corroded connection could be your problem.

Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:31 AM   #12
ChuckS

I’m also perplexed that Jensen would say it needs a manual switch wired in when there is already a manual over ride mechanical switch for that circuit on the BCM

If he can isolate the drop in voltage down to 11.2 from source if 12.8 he will fix the issue

Old 04-15-2019, 01:22 PM   #13
E Rod

I have a 2017 Alpine 3660 FL. I too was having trouble with the IN COMMAND . i did several things but the most important are make sure your battery ( ies) are fully charged. Second, I called ASA and the they replaced my In COMMAND with the new hard wired one vs the bluetooth. I worked with a local dealer to receive it for me and i replaced it myself. Third, i added a mechanical back up switch in my panel. I downloaded the schematic off the internet. Since then no more issues plus it saved me a trip and waiting for months if dealer would had done it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180605_122417.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	21422   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180605_122348.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	21423  
E Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 05:57 PM   #14
ChuckS

Name:	IMG_3253.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	351.1 KB
ID:	21424

Have you checked the relay for the slide out on the BCM and swapped with another relay?

Old 04-15-2019, 07:25 PM   #15
Bignewsantafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Attachment 21424

Have you checked the relay for the slide out on the BCM and swapped with another relay?

Well yes, there is 26 relays on the BCM and from what I can tell is the two on the top right side click when activating the manual switch on the BCM. Would anybody know for sure which ones run the slides? Also there are hookups for electric slides that have no wires to there terminals and that use the 30 fuse at terminal 79.
Found out that the manual landing gear switch dose nothing too, except make two more relays click.
OK, spent quite a bit of time after work checking all the things you ask me Chuck and seam to have narrowed it down to terminals 40 & 41 as the problem. I took the wires off of the two along with terminals 42 & 43 and kick in the slides and the voltage started out at 11.0 and started dropping until it kicked out at about 10.5 volts. This was on terminals 40 & 41 which supply power to the Hyd Solenoid. The voltage on terminals 42 & 43 remained at 13.2 volts which is my battery voltage. with these terminals hooked up, the voltage will start out at 11.0 and drop till it kicks out again.
I also hardwired around the 50 amp thermal breaker and the pump motor never dropped below 13.2 volts running.
Funny thing that when the Hyd solenoid wires were unhooked that the pump motor would run? Also there are two wires from the solenoid that go over to the auto leaving system too. Tomorrow if work doesn't get in the way I see if I can hookup a manual switch and see if I can make it work that way. May call Lippert again and see what they say. I hate hold!!!!!!

Chuck, thanks for all the material you sent me it put me on the right track to get as far as I did.

Oh and I got the fridge working again, GFI plug in bathroom had tripped somehow again. Would to find the culprit to that too.
Bignewsantafe
Allen
PS; Why does this forum keep logging me out????

Bignewsantafe
2016 Alpine 3100RL
2015 GMC 2500HD SLT
Z71 4x4 Duramax/Allison
B&W Trailer Hitch
Old 04-16-2019, 05:56 AM   #16
ChuckS

Look oks like you are making progress. The other two solenoids you see on the manifold block are for passenger and drivers side mid and rear leveling jacks...each side mid/rear operate in tandem...

The fact your manual over ride switch for the landing gear does nothing but click a relay tells me ... I think.. that the issue is somewhere in the pump motor circuit..

Or.. the BCM is at fault but the likely good of both leveling and slide system circuits on the BCM being bad at the same time doesn’t quite pass my logic test...

Please update your findings as you progress along...

Old 04-16-2019, 06:17 AM   #17
ChuckS

I am assuming you did a BCM RESET before all of your trouble shooting process...if not I’d sure reset the BCM.

Old 04-16-2019, 10:22 AM   #18
Bignewsantafe

Resetting BCM, ad in power cycling? I have done this early in the process.

Tags
alpine, slide