Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2015, 08:20 AM   #1
Face Down

Thumbs up 2016 Carbon 357 - 30 Night Report

Picked up our Carbon 357 in the beginning of May and was able to spend our 30th night in it over the Labor Day weekend. Unit was ordered with the following options; 2nd 15K AC, 5.5K Onan genny, rear beds, rear door screen, rear patio w/ awning. Added myself; Goose Box 20k hitch, JT Strong Arms, AirMaxx vent covers, TireMinder TPMS, 32" LED TV in garage, 4" mattress topper in the master. Camper loaded (shipping sticker 12,780#'s) is probably around 14.5-15k#'s pulled with a 2006 F350 DRW....towed around 1000k miles so far. Here are my impressions from over the summer.

This is my first TH and by far the biggest camper that I have owned. Previous units were a 32' Sunnybrook FW (2000-2003) and a 35' Dutchmen TT (2003-2015). While the unit is large, (40' long and 13' 2" high) where I have camped so far has not been a problem, you just have to plan accordingly to make sure the size of the site will work for you. With power everything (landing gear front and rear, awning and built in LED lights) set up time is about half of what it was with my old TT. No more hand cranking jacks or hanging lights from the awning. Add to the fact that I no longer have to load/unload the golf cart (which we take both to the lake and the beach) in the back of the truck...using the garage and the ramp door is a dream.

Overall quality: I am extremely pleased with the finish and fit of the camper and happy to report very little issues at all. The camper is comfy and well suited for our family of 4 plus a 70# black lab. We spent a week in Myrtle Beach and my parents stayed with us...so four adults and two kids and never felt cramped or stepping over each other. The bath and 1/2 in the garage is something that we thought we wanted and that has turned out to be a wise choice! Everything from fixtures, drawers, cabinets seem to be above quality from what I have had before...everything else does what it supposed to do. I guess my only complaint, but expected, is that the stereo system is total junk...it will be replaced over the winter.

Issues: As I said I have had very few issues but i have had some to deal with...the worst being some of my interior LED ceiling lights are burning out. Nothing major though, some of the issues will be (was) fixed by me and the others are going on a punch list for a trip back to a Keystone dealer. Issues that I have had:
  • Reversed Tank Labels - Fixed by me
  • 2nd Black Tank Valve needs to be adjusted (leaks a little) - Punch List
  • One of the hangers for the genny exhaust pipe broken - Punch List
  • Both Vacuum Breakers in the black tank clean out systems were bad - Fixed by me (deleted)
  • Shower door not sealed - Fixed by me
  • Interior LED's first dimming then not working. (2 in bedroom, 1 in hallway, 2 in main room) - Punch List

Of the add-on's that I have put on the camper I am not sure which more to recommend. The Goose Box is an awesome hitch. I know that there is an anti-goose neck crowd out there, but this setup is wonderful. Nothing in the bed plus a dampening system on the hitch, it is soooooo smooth going down the road. I little bit of a pain to line up, but well worth the trade off in comfort and function. The JT Strong Arms should come standard on 5ers...even at 40' the unit is rock solid while we camp. My last TT the camper would jiggle every time some one rolled over in the middle of the night....not now!

We decided four years ago right about this time to upgrade and get a large toy hauler...it took us this long to do it. After researching I first decided that I needed a bigger truck (had a 99 F250) so that put us back a little. We literally shopped that entire time by either online, shows or going to different dealers. We changed our mind so many times on the unit that we wanted (Raptors, Road Warriors, Torques, XLR's, Wolf Packs) and we are so pleased that we ended up with this camper, it is perfect for us!! The right price point with all of the features that we wanted. We have had so many compliments on it this summer...we love it!!

Face Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 08:51 AM   #2
Desert185

Congrats. Nothing like being happy and satisfied with what you have.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 11:03 AM   #3
firekat96

Did you mount the TV in the garage up top where the mounting sticker is or somewhere else? I'm thinking about mounting our on the wall between the 1/2 bath and the door to the living room.

2006 Dodge 3500 mega cab 4x4 Laramie
firekat96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 05:28 AM   #4
Face Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by firekat96 View Post
Did you mount the TV in the garage up top where the mounting sticker is or somewhere else? I'm thinking about mounting our on the wall between the 1/2 bath and the door to the living room.
Mounted it between the cabinets which works great for the kids when they are on the top bunk. Will be looking for a new mount that can pivot down so it can be seen from the lower bunk when it is in the opposing couch setup. Only if I bring the upper bunk to all the way to the top can it be scene from the lower configuration.
Old 09-10-2015, 06:29 AM   #5
DiverB

I too am extremely happy with my 357 also. I bought mine in July and never even used it until my job asked me to goto New Mexico for 60 days. I loaded my Harley and quad into the back and set off for New Mexico. It has towed great ( especially with the Trail-Air Air-ride pin box) and I have not found anything wrong with the trailer yet.

I have been living in my 357 since Aug 5 when I left my house in Michigan and no problems at all. No leaks, both A/C's keep the coach comfortable, and nothing has worked its way loose. I feel I truly am blessed to have received a good coach from the factory and dealer where everything was good to go.

I did re-position the TV strap in the main coach to fassen on opposite side and I have lubed my slides once, and added some addition caulk around the shower, but I am a very happy camper.

I am in 100% agreement with forum member Facedown, the stereo in this coach is pure junk! I plan on added an amplifier, subwoofer and decent speakers this winter.

On the weekend I have been leaving the RV park and heading up to the mountains to boondock and ride my ATV on the trails. Here are a few pictures.

2012 Ram 3500 DRW 4x4 - Custom Tuned, 5" TBE, ATS Tranny, ARP Head studs, EGR Cooler delete, S&B intake, GDP intake horn, EDGE CTS w/turbo timer, FASS 95 lift pump, pac-brake airbags, Mag Hytec diff covers, B&W 20K hitch, AMSOIL everywhere

https://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/199482.png
DiverB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 08:06 AM   #6
MontanaMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverB View Post
..... and I have lubed my slides once....
which begs the question: How do you do that? This is my first RV with cable slides.

I too am loving my Carbon 357 however now that I've had it for 6 months I should have bought it with the 2nd AC and had 2nd awning put on over the side door to the garage.

2010 Polaris Sportsman 550X2
MontanaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 09:52 AM   #7
DiverB

Mike,

I bought a can of slide out chain lube at a RV store and while the slides were in, I stood on top of the counter and lightly sprayed a little of the lube on the chain and also on the cables which run down the slides which make it move in/out.

I also wiped down all my rubber seals on the out side of each slide while the slides were out. Since I have been in New Mexico since August 8th, its been 93-102 each day and I figured the sun would start baking the rubber slide seals, so I used the rubber seal conditioner on them.

So far I have had zero issues and I'm very happy with my purchase
2012 Ram 3500 DRW 4x4 - Custom Tuned, 5" TBE, ATS Tranny, ARP Head studs, EGR Cooler delete, S&B intake, GDP intake horn, EDGE CTS w/turbo timer, FASS 95 lift pump, pac-brake airbags, Mag Hytec diff covers, B&W 20K hitch, AMSOIL everywhere

Old 09-10-2015, 09:57 AM   #8
Face Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaMike View Post
which begs the question: How do you do that? This is my first RV with cable slides.
Would like to have that info also!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaMike View Post
I too am loving my Carbon 357 however now that I've had it for 6 months I should have bought it with the 2nd AC and had 2nd awning put on over the side door to the garage.
2nd Awning over the side door was not an option but I plan on adding one myself. I was going to do it this summer but ran out of funds...spent way to much on other stuff.

The Raptor 375TS is the exact same floor-plan and comes with a 10' awning back there...but as I measure I am pretty sure a 11' one would work. I have done a little bit of research and I am finding that to buy a whole new awning with the awning (pattern and color) itself is not offered in a power package. We have Vinyl Single Sided in the color of "Flint". If you look at the attached link you can see that it is not available with the 9100 Power Awning which we have...just in the manual. But Keystone got it in that configuration somehow and I am sure that we can too. Once I get ready to do this next Spring I will chronicle the install, what I bought, where it was mounted and how I am going to get it wired up with how/where the switch will go.

Link to Dometic Awning Specs:
http://www2.dometic.com/1d9325ae-ed4...9a4d3125.fodoc

Here is a view of the 375TS
Old 09-11-2015, 07:27 AM   #9
firekat96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Down View Post
Would like to have that info also!

2nd Awning over the side door was not an option but I plan on adding one myself. I was going to do it this summer but ran out of funds...spent way to much on other stuff.

The Raptor 375TS is the exact same floor-plan and comes with a 10' awning back there...but as I measure I am pretty sure a 11' one would work. I have done a little bit of research and I am finding that to buy a whole new awning with the awning (pattern and color) itself is not offered in a power package. We have Vinyl Single Sided in the color of "Flint". If you look at the attached link you can see that it is not available with the 9100 Power Awning which we have...just in the manual. But Keystone got it in that configuration somehow and I am sure that we can too. Once I get ready to do this next Spring I will chronicle the install, what I bought, where it was mounted and how I am going to get it wired up with how/where the switch will go.

Link to Dometic Awning Specs:
http://www2.dometic.com/1d9325ae-ed4...9a4d3125.fodoc

Here is a view of the 375TS
We asked our dealer about the 2nd awning we we purchased ours back in April and actually they just finished adding one to another 357 the week before. He said it's no problem at all and everything matched exactly. They got power from the light/fan switches underneath the cabinet and added a switch for the awning beside them. Plan on having them add one to ours after we get some money back from Uncle Sam this winter.

Old 09-11-2015, 07:37 AM   #10
firekat96

Our unit at Ocean Lakes last week.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150904_165502.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	9406

Old 09-11-2015, 10:27 AM   #11
Face Down

Quote:
Our unit at Ocean Lakes last week.

Attachment 9406
We have already made reservations for next year at OL...I love it there. This past August we had site H-69...I think one of the nicest ones there. For 2016 we were not so lucky, I have to move twice during the week just to be able to stay the 10 days if I wanted to be up front in the letter sections where we like to be. They said with the new water park area going in their reservations were way up for next year.

Old 09-11-2015, 11:07 AM   #12
firekat96

Quote:
We have already made reservations for next year at OL...I love it there. This past August we had site H-69...I think one of the nicest ones there. For 2016 we were not so lucky, I have to move twice during the week just to be able to stay the 10 days if I wanted to be up front in the letter sections where we like to be. They said with the new water park area going in their reservations were way up for next year.
We go a couple times a year, love it. We always stay ocean front by booking 18 months in advance, already have reservations for a week over spring break in April and 10 days over July 4th. We like the front also so we'll be in the action at night. Last week was a last minute trip so we had to get in the 3000 section.

Old 09-11-2015, 11:39 AM   #13
Face Down

Quote:
We go a couple times a year, love it. We always stay ocean front by booking 18 months in advance, already have reservations for a week over spring break in April and 10 days over July 4th. We like the front also so we'll be in the action at night. Last week was a last minute trip so we had to get in the 3000 section.
Yea...I have a calendar reminder set for January '16 to book a week for July '17. I am also checking once a week for a single site for next summer. I wish we could go more but we have a lake campground membership only two hours away that is a lot of fun too...and we have a boat!
Old 09-11-2015, 12:32 PM   #14
firekat96

Quote:
Yea...I have a calendar reminder set for January '16 to book a week for July '17. I am also checking once a week for a single site for next summer. I wish we could go more but we have a lake campground membership only two hours away that is a lot of fun too...and we have a boat!
Isn't it just crazy you have to book 18 months out to get a decent spot. It's just as bad at State Parks here in SC, you have to book 12 months out to get a good site at a good park. I remember when I was a kid going with my parents you could just pack up and go no big deal. Boy has camping exploded over the years. Will you be down there any during our trips?

Old 09-12-2015, 05:56 AM   #15
kmc58

Although not a Carbon I believe our floor plans may be very similar and I agree 100% with you on the Toy Hauler. We have owned Motorhomes and Travel Trailers and by far the TH has the best floor plan. Our family of 6 adults and 2 children are able to camp without being cramped. The 1/2 bath addition is wonderful! The picture was taken at the Cherokee NC KOA! DH relaxing Where is Ocean Lake?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cherokee 8.2015 KOA.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	9407  
kmc58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 06:27 AM   #16
roadglide

DriverB are you still in N M ? With heat I'm thinking your In Carlsbad . I'm going to be there after after the Aspen cash bike rally visiting my brother in at his ranch.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 06:33 AM   #17
roadglide

Face down how are you securing your flag to your latter? I have a clamp that secure to the top run but It still needs 2 zip ties . Very nice Toy hauler .
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 07:15 AM   #18
DiverB

Road glide,

I'm working in Artesia, just north of Carlsbad. I can't wait to get back to Michigan in October!

Also you asked Facedown about a flag pole holders, check out this site. I have both the RV flag holder and pole and have used it for 9 yrs on two different rigs.

https://www.polesandholders.com/

Old 09-12-2015, 07:32 AM   #19
jje1960

Picture

Quote:
Picked up our Carbon 357 in the beginning of May and was able to spend our 30th night in it over the Labor Day weekend. Unit was ordered with the following options; 2nd 15K AC, 5.5K Onan genny, rear beds, rear door screen, rear patio w/ awning. Added myself; Goose Box 20k hitch, JT Strong Arms, AirMaxx vent covers, TireMinder TPMS, 32" LED TV in garage, 4" mattress topper in the master. Camper loaded (shipping sticker 12,780#'s) is probably around 14.5-15k#'s pulled with a 2006 F350 DRW....towed around 1000k miles so far. Here are my impressions from over the summer.

This is my first TH and by far the biggest camper that I have owned. Previous units were a 32' Sunnybrook FW (2000-2003) and a 35' Dutchmen TT (2003-2015). While the unit is large, (40' long and 13' 2" high) where I have camped so far has not been a problem, you just have to plan accordingly to make sure the size of the site will work for you. With power everything (landing gear front and rear, awning and built in LED lights) set up time is about half of what it was with my old TT. No more hand cranking jacks or hanging lights from the awning. Add to the fact that I no longer have to load/unload the golf cart (which we take both to the lake and the beach) in the back of the truck...using the garage and the ramp door is a dream.

Overall quality: I am extremely pleased with the finish and fit of the camper and happy to report very little issues at all. The camper is comfy and well suited for our family of 4 plus a 70# black lab. We spent a week in Myrtle Beach and my parents stayed with us...so four adults and two kids and never felt cramped or stepping over each other. The bath and 1/2 in the garage is something that we thought we wanted and that has turned out to be a wise choice! Everything from fixtures, drawers, cabinets seem to be above quality from what I have had before...everything else does what it supposed to do. I guess my only complaint, but expected, is that the stereo system is total junk...it will be replaced over the winter.

Issues: As I said I have had very few issues but i have had some to deal with...the worst being some of my interior LED ceiling lights are burning out. Nothing major though, some of the issues will be (was) fixed by me and the others are going on a punch list for a trip back to a Keystone dealer. Issues that I have had:
  • Reversed Tank Labels - Fixed by me
  • 2nd Black Tank Valve needs to be adjusted (leaks a little) - Punch List
  • One of the hangers for the genny exhaust pipe broken - Punch List
  • Both Vacuum Breakers in the black tank clean out systems were bad - Fixed by me (deleted)
  • Shower door not sealed - Fixed by me
  • Interior LED's first dimming then not working. (2 in bedroom, 1 in hallway, 2 in main room) - Punch List

Of the add-on's that I have put on the camper I am not sure which more to recommend. The Goose Box is an awesome hitch. I know that there is an anti-goose neck crowd out there, but this setup is wonderful. Nothing in the bed plus a dampening system on the hitch, it is soooooo smooth going down the road. I little bit of a pain to line up, but well worth the trade off in comfort and function. The JT Strong Arms should come standard on 5ers...even at 40' the unit is rock solid while we camp. My last TT the camper would jiggle every time some one rolled over in the middle of the night....not now!

We decided four years ago right about this time to upgrade and get a large toy hauler...it took us this long to do it. After researching I first decided that I needed a bigger truck (had a 99 F250) so that put us back a little. We literally shopped that entire time by either online, shows or going to different dealers. We changed our mind so many times on the unit that we wanted (Raptors, Road Warriors, Torques, XLR's, Wolf Packs) and we are so pleased that we ended up with this camper, it is perfect for us!! The right price point with all of the features that we wanted. We have had so many compliments on it this summer...we love it!!

Happy you have found your sweetspot RV! BTW... Sure looks like Ocean Lakes in the picture!!! We go there every year for 2wks.
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 08:55 AM   #20
firekat96

Ocean Lakes is in Myrtle Beach SC.

This is my flag pole holder. I used a 2ft piece of pvc pipe and fastened it to the Ladder with hose clamps. I also cut a piece of rubber hose to put between the clamp and the ladder so it wouldn't scratch it and painted it black so it would blend in.

Name:	20150620_183143-1.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	9431