Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2014, 01:31 PM   #1
Jim7411

Rub Marks on Slideout

This has to be a common problem, so maybe there's an easy solution. When the sliders on my 5er are extended, there are all these unsightly black marks on the walls from rubbing against the seals while going down the road. I've attacked them with 409, Armor All, and other cleaners, with varying results. I've tried waxing the affected areas, but the marks keep coming back. Any ideas out there, or do I grin and bear it?
Jim7411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 02:03 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Try applying a generous coat of Aerospace303 Protectant . Apply one coat, let it sit, and wipe clean. Apply a second coat - same thing. It is available in a fairly large spray bottle or in a larger quantity.
If nothing else, it will help keep the seals clean and flexible and hopefully leave no marks behind.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:18 PM   #3
Yosemitebob

Interesting enough, I went to Lowes today to get a bottle, and they didn't even know what it was. So went by the RV parts store to get it, was hoping I could get a better price. Anyway, Lowes don't have it.
1800 / 3600 inverter with auto transfer switch,
The bosses: My wife and two Labradoddles 80 lbs each
Yosemitebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 04:41 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemitebob View Post
Interesting enough, I went to Lowes today to get a bottle, and they didn't even know what it was. So went by the RV parts store to get it, was hoping I could get a better price. Anyway, Lowes don't have it.
Amazon.com has a quart spray bottle for $17 and a gallon size for $44. Not nearly as expensive as buying it at the local RV store. If you're a PRIME member, 2 day shipping is free.

http://www.amazon.com/303-30313-Aero...303+protectant

http://www.amazon.com/303-30320-Aero...303+protectant

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 04:51 PM   #5
Jim7411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Try applying a generous coat of Aerospace303 Protectant . Apply one coat, let it sit, and wipe clean. Apply a second coat - same thing. It is available in a fairly large spray bottle or in a larger quantity.
If nothing else, it will help keep the seals clean and flexible and hopefully leave no marks behind.
Apply to the walls or to the seals? Both? I just happen to have a bottle of 303 for my kayak.
Jim7411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 05:25 PM   #6
Yosemitebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Amazon.com has a quart spray bottle for $17 and a gallon size for $44. Not nearly as expensive as buying it at the local RV store. If you're a PRIME member, 2 day shipping is free.
Dag nab it, heat is getting to me. The boss is a prime member and I give her most of the parts I need and she fines them. Just didn't think of that.
1800 / 3600 inverter with auto transfer switch,
The bosses: My wife and two Labradoddles 80 lbs each
Yosemitebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 05:44 PM   #7
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim7411 View Post
Apply to the walls or to the seals? Both? I just happen to have a bottle of 303 for my kayak.
Aerospace303 can be used on both the sidewalls and seals with positive results.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:08 AM   #8
justlkn

I have the same issue and have tried several products. I would be interested in the results of using the 303. I noticed on the new Avalanches they are painting the inside of the slides black. I like that idea!

2016 3500HD Silverado Duramax LTZ
2012 Keystone Avalanche 341TG (Sold)
justlkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:29 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Painting the sides of the slides black "looks good" but there's little insulation value in the slide walls. I'd suspect that in a hot, sunny environment the black walls would cause the A/C to work harder and unless there's two A/C's in the RV, the darker color may well cause the A/C not to be able to "keep up".

Of course, with two A/C's or in places where it seldom gets "really hot" that wouldn't matter.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 09-03-2014, 02:44 AM   #10
WaltBennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Painting the sides of the slides black "looks good" but there's little insulation value in the slide walls. I'd suspect that in a hot, sunny environment the black walls would cause the A/C to work harder and unless there's two A/C's in the RV, the darker color may well cause the A/C not to be able to "keep up".

Of course, with two A/C's or in places where it seldom gets "really hot" that wouldn't matter.
This is something that has had me really wondering about the industry. There's little insulation in any unit made today in spite of mfrs. claims. I can understand that as thick walls & ceilings mean less space inside and there's no miracle substance to make it better without costing a whole lot more. All the neat looking paint jobs do is make the units more attractive to buyers. Once someone gets them out in the real weather world though, I wonder how comfortable they are to live in.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 06:31 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltBennett View Post
This is something that has had me really wondering about the industry. There's little insulation in any unit made today in spite of mfrs. claims. I can understand that as thick walls & ceilings mean less space inside and there's no miracle substance to make it better without costing a whole lot more. All the neat looking paint jobs do is make the units more attractive to buyers. Once someone gets them out in the real weather world though, I wonder how comfortable they are to live in.
It's "my theory" that RV manufacturers aren't really interested in "energy conservation" nor are they really interested in consumer comfort. They are "more into" making money. There's little "regulation" of the industry to build units that conserve energy. (ie: no CAFE standards).

So, paint them dark brown, black, navy blue, add a "romex cable to the front vent" Call it "wired for optional 2nd A/C" as "standard equipment" and charge for it in an increased "wholesale price" to the dealership.

If you read the side of a "house window A/C box" it indicates that a 12K BTU window A/C is expected to cool a 550 sq ft area. Most 32" RV's are 256 sq ft with a slide of maybe 40 sq ft. That's under 300 total sq ft. Yet a 15K A/C won't cool it in 90F temps so we add another one up front (total 28.5K BTU). Add the dark sidewalls, endcaps, black cover on the A/C, black slide walls and those "infamous" R-9 sidewalls and it's no wonder we're "hot inside".

It seems "peculiar" to me that we, as campers, use the outdoors as our "safe haven" yet our vehicles of choice (RV's) are amongst the biggest "energy wasters" available. I know, I know, and I'm as "guilty as the next" as we're heading out for a week of fishing while dragging the Cougar with the boat behind it......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS