Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2014, 06:51 AM   #21
4-WheelerLady

We just bought a 412. Only had it on a little trip so far. Will be taking it to Texas in a week. Kids, grandkids, and dogs. I love the layout.
4-WheelerLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:48 AM   #22
shmthaus

Well, we took our 412 in last Friday (06/20) to get the stereo hooked up like we wanted and some other stuff done. We originally wanted to pick it up yesterday (06/27) and go out of town, but work plans changed.

The "stereo guy" looked at it on Wed and called me on Thurs to see exactly what I wanted and I explained it to him. I stopped by the dealership yesterday to check on it and nothing had been done, except that when the kitchen slide was extended (by the "stereo guy"), the right hand pantry door must have been ajar and the slide caught it.

It ripped the door right out of the cabinet, bending the hinges and cracking the door. The cabinet is also scratched and the screw holes ripped out.

I didn't receive a phone call or any notification, so imagine my shock when I saw it..

The dealer is supposed to repair it, but a new door and hinges are needed. Also, the cabinet needs repairing.

It will be interesting to see how it all turns out. DW is NOT happy....

2014 Raptor 412TS
2010 Ford F250 4x4
shmthaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 01:24 PM   #23
shmthaus

The pantry door was repaired and replaced. We will see how long it lasts and if need be, will get it replaced before the end of warranty.

The "stereo guy" put two switches in place for the speakers. I now have the stereo faded to "0" and can turn off the inside / outside speakers and use the volume control on the stereo and soundbar to adjust the sound inside the cabin. It cost a little over $300 to get it done (I guess the cost of the "stereo guy" to make a service call). To us, it was well worth it to be able to easily control the speakers.

2014 Raptor 412TS
2010 Ford F250 4x4
Old 07-12-2014, 01:54 PM   #24
geddylee2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-WheelerLady View Post
We just bought a 412. Only had it on a little trip so far. Will be taking it to Texas in a week. Kids, grandkids, and dogs. I love the layout.
Do one of you have a CDL?
I believe Texas requires a non-CDL Class A Drivers License for a total rig weight capacity of 26001 pounds or more, and in some states, like Missouri, there is no classification of Non-CDL class A License.
So, as I read it, (maybe incorrectly) A CDL is required from states that do not issue a non-cdl class A.

I want desperately to go to Texas myself, but need to take delivery of my 415 TS so I can get my CDL to make me legal in Texas first.
geddylee2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 03:56 PM   #25
ctpd814

Quote:
Originally Posted by geddylee2001 View Post
Do one of you have a CDL?
I believe Texas requires a non-CDL Class A Drivers License for a total rig weight capacity of 26001 pounds or more, and in some states, like Missouri, there is no classification of Non-CDL class A License.
So, as I read it, (maybe incorrectly) A CDL is required from states that do not issue a non-cdl class A.

I want desperately to go to Texas myself, but need to take delivery of my 415 TS so I can get my CDL to make me legal in Texas first.
Your are required to follow the law of the state you live in, not where your going, when it comes to drivers licenses. If you are valid in your state then you are valid in other states.
2 Wieners Maddie and Mollie
ctpd814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:13 PM   #26
geddylee2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpd814 View Post
Your are required to follow the law of the state you live in, not where your going, when it comes to drivers licenses. If you are valid in your state then you are valid in other states.
Not that I don't believe you, but I've been looking for clarification on that for a month. I cant find anything legal that definitively says one way or the other.
Since my son is in the air force in San Antonio, I'd love to take the trailer down and visit him before he ships out for South Korea. But without any real clarification on this issue, I assumed the only way to truly be covered was to have a CDL.

It'd be great to find out I'm wrong. Do you know where I can find documentation to that effect?
Old 07-13-2014, 08:34 AM   #27
geddylee2001

Quote:
Sorry about the hijack earlier, but I LOVE Texas and can't wait to get there with my camper myself. Was simply hoping to be proven wrong about the CDL stuff so I could get there sooner.

Let me try again:

Where do your pups ride?

We got a 415TS for the sole purpose of having the most expensive doghouse we could find...
Old 07-17-2014, 05:57 AM   #28
4-WheelerLady

Quote:
Just got back from Texas, no problem with CDL. I don't believe I am over 26,000 lbs. Haven't weight it yet. The trailer is 18,000. dry. I wasn't hauling any utv's of 4-wheelers. Just clothes and such. Went through Arkansas, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, Kentucky and Ohio. Saw plenty of cops, nothing. I did have someone else tell me that it is where you live.
4-WheelerLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 12:48 PM   #29
shmthaus

Talked to a friend who is a Dallas PD officer that works the commercial vehicle unit (I am also a DPD officer, but not knowledgeable in those laws).

He said that in Texas, if the combination of TV and trailer is over 26,001 pounds GVWR combined (not actual weight, but GVWR), you need a non-commercial Class A license. That is also what the DPS website says.

Now, he also said that they have been told by DPS not to bother RV's and most people DON'T have Class A licenses. The only thing is that IF you are involved in a crash and the other person sues you, then they can bring up that you are not licensed for the weight, you could lose.

If in Texas, you decide to get a non-CDL Class A license, you need to check with the local DPS office to see if they are equipped to test for non-CDL Class A licenses. Some are and some are not.

The test should consist of a written test (only one for non-CDL) and a driving test.

2014 Raptor 412TS
2010 Ford F250 4x4
Old 07-22-2014, 06:24 AM   #30
SmittysRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmthaus View Post
Talked to a friend who is a Dallas PD officer that works the commercial vehicle unit (I am also a DPD officer, but not knowledgeable in those laws).

He said that in Texas, if the combination of TV and trailer is over 26,001 pounds GVWR combined (not actual weight, but GVWR), you need a non-commercial Class A license. That is also what the DPS website says.

Now, he also said that they have been told by DPS not to bother RV's and most people DON'T have Class A licenses. The only thing is that IF you are involved in a crash and the other person sues you, then they can bring up that you are not licensed for the weight, you could lose.

If in Texas, you decide to get a non-CDL Class A license, you need to check with the local DPS office to see if they are equipped to test for non-CDL Class A licenses. Some are and some are not.

The test should consist of a written test (only one for non-CDL) and a driving test.
I need to look into the same for Cali, prolly just as strict if not more.

Hey shmthaus, what rear gear are you running in that F250? That Raptor looks mighty heavy for a standard equipped F250. Not sure how heavy that 5er is but I had to upgrade our Tow Vehicle (TV) when we got our Raptor 4014 LEV Velocity. These triple axle Raptors are pretty darn heavy

https://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps7fb09er8.png

Tow Vehicle: 2006 F550 studded and bullet proofed!
Toys: 2012 RZR XP4 900, Yamaha WR450, TTR230 and 2 TTR90s.
SmittysRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 04:37 AM   #31
sw342
Permanent User Ban

Quote:

The "stereo guy" put two switches in place for the speakers. I now have the stereo faded to "0" and can turn off the inside / outside speakers and use the volume control on the stereo and soundbar to adjust the sound inside the cabin.
How are you getting the soundbar to work without having to be hooked up to 120v AC or running the generator? Or have you installed an inverter? We dry camp a lot and it would have been nice for them to install 12v DC speakers in the living area like they did in the garage and outside. How many people are going to fire up the generator just to listen to the radio?
sw342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:12 AM   #32
taschoeberl

Quote:

I was wondering how your F-250 is doing pulling your 412TS? We have a 332TS and looking at getting a 2015 412TS, but from talking to other 5th wheel folks that our truck (2011 Ford F-350 6.7L CC LB 4x4 SRW (3.55 axle ratio)) can not handle the weight safely and we would be over our GCWR. They all say a DWR is the way to go, but not in our future yet.

Concern is that if you would to have an accident, the first thing the insurance investigator would look at is if you were carrying over the GCWR with truck and trailer. If you are, you are out of any insurance claims.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!

2014 H-D Limited CVO
2104 KTM 300 XC
2008 Yamaha YZ250F
taschoeberl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 01:45 PM   #33
JRTJH
Site Team

Just my "opinion" but here it goes: As for "PULLING" the 412, the F250 and F350 SRW have the same engine/transmission/rear ends as the F350 Dually, so the mechanics of making the trailer 'move down the road" will be the same with any of the three. Payload (pin weight on the truck) and GCWR/GTWR are the issue.

As for insurance claims, insurance regularly pays claims for "stoopid actions" like DWI, running a stop light, falling asleep at the wheel, and more, all of which are driver related mistakes or errors. Pulling an overweight trailer is also in that same category, a driver error, so I'd tend to think the insurance will pay for your obligations incurred in an accident, but I wouldn't think they'd be your insurance provider the following day..... They would likely drop you just as they would someone who caused a loss because of a DWI.

The issue, at least for me, is living with the realization that I caused someone to lose their life or be seriously injured because I wanted to "take the cheap way out" and pull a grossly "too large" trailer with a grossly underrated truck (rather than spend the money to upgrade to the appropriately rated truck). It's the guy in the mirror I have to look at and live with that would cause me to want to be in the ballpark with tow ratings/truck capability.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:06 PM   #34
SmittysRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Just my "opinion" but here it goes: As for "PULLING" the 412, the F250 and F350 SRW have the same engine/transmission/rear ends as the F350 Dually, so the mechanics of making the trailer 'move down the road" will be the same with any of the three. Payload (pin weight on the truck) and GCWR/GTWR are the issue.

As for insurance claims, insurance regularly pays claims for "stoopid actions" like DWI, running a stop light, falling asleep at the wheel, and more, all of which are driver related mistakes or errors. Pulling an overweight trailer is also in that same category, a driver error, so I'd tend to think the insurance will pay for your obligations incurred in an accident, but I wouldn't think they'd be your insurance provider the following day..... They would likely drop you just as they would someone who caused a loss because of a DWI.

The issue, at least for me, is living with the realization that I caused someone to lose their life or be seriously injured because I wanted to "take the cheap way out" and pull a grossly "too large" trailer with a grossly underrated truck (rather than spend the money to upgrade to the appropriately rated truck). It's the guy in the mirror I have to look at and live with that would cause me to want to be in the ballpark with tow ratings/truck capability.
Exactly why we stepped up to the F550 when we got into our 4014. I pulled it once with our 2002 F350 cclb srw and it was over weight by the specs and I could tell during that trip. Now we have a 2006 F550 Dually Chassis Cab converted by Roll-along and it works great, what a difference.

https://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps7fb09er8.png

Tow Vehicle: 2006 F550 studded and bullet proofed!
Toys: 2012 RZR XP4 900, Yamaha WR450, TTR230 and 2 TTR90s.
SmittysRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:23 PM   #35
Big Dave

Tow Vehicle

I am towing my 412TS Raptor with a 2015 3500 Chevy LTZ dually, I feel like it is safe and does a good job in my humble opinion.
Big Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:38 PM   #36
spaz2011

Raptor nightmare

Have only had for 2 months. 412Ts. Slides leak. Will not cool. Odors under sink. Cabinets coming apart at joints. Grey water pipe broke. Fiberglass on outside is cracking. Dealer wants us to trade but take a 10 thousand dollar loss. Called keystone they say speak to dealer. Attorney is next I guess. It has been in shop 4 times since we purchased.
spaz2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:10 PM   #37
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz2011 View Post
Have only had for 2 months. 412Ts. Slides leak. Will not cool. Odors under sink. Cabinets coming apart at joints. Grey water pipe broke. Fiberglass on outside is cracking. Dealer wants us to trade but take a 10 thousand dollar loss. Called keystone they say speak to dealer. Attorney is next I guess. It has been in shop 4 times since we purchased.
Spaz2011,

to the forum. It seems that your RV is the exception to the rule. All the other posts in this thread indicate satisfaction with their Fuzions. The only Keystone related issues seemed to be stereo issues, bathroom faucet not flowing water into the center of the sink and mismarked gray/black tank valves.

Here's hoping you get your problems resolved. Remember that once you involve a lawyer, Keystone will likely stop all dealer work/warranty repairs on your trailer pending the outcome of the court judgment. That could take years to resolve, all the while your RV will be sitting, unrepaired and depreciating with every passing day. It may be more expedient to work with the dealer and Keystone rather than retain legal representation. Of course that's entirely your decision. Good Luck.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:18 PM   #38
spaz2011

Raptor nightmare

Its very frustrating when you purchase a product as costly as this. This is a 99000 rv. Plus we found out the dealer salesman misrepresented the rv. He told us alot of stuff that we later found is not true on this model. Does anyone have anyone have any suggestions?
spaz2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:14 PM   #39
wtungate

Quote:
Originally Posted by taschoeberl View Post
I was wondering how your F-250 is doing pulling your 412TS? We have a 332TS and looking at getting a 2015 412TS, but from talking to other 5th wheel folks that our truck (2011 Ford F-350 6.7L CC LB 4x4 SRW (3.55 axle ratio)) can not handle the weight safely and we would be over our GCWR. They all say a DWR is the way to go, but not in our future yet.

Concern is that if you would to have an accident, the first thing the insurance investigator would look at is if you were carrying over the GCWR with truck and trailer. If you are, you are out of any insurance claims.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!
I tow the 2015 412TS with an 08 6.4l F350 SRW with Firestone air bags. At 60psi the camper levels out nicely and tows beautifully. The F350 is chipped with Edge and an AFE air intake.
wtungate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 10:19 AM   #40
Kappy

Quote:
I stopped by the dealership yesterday to check on it and nothing had been done, except that when the kitchen slide was extended (by the "stereo guy"), the right hand pantry door must have been ajar and the slide caught it.

It ripped the door right out of the cabinet, bending the hinges and cracking the door. The cabinet is also scratched and the screw holes ripped out.

I did the same...Kitchen slide caught the pantry door and ripped it off. I double check them now before extending the kitchen slide.
Kappy is offline   Reply With Quote